Tokyo in February!

goodguyjean

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently discovered this community and it's been very insightful.

For context I'm in my mid 20's, Caucasian, (not the blonde hair blue eyes kind), 175cm of an athletic build and I'll be visiting Japan for the second time in early February for two weeks. Last time I visited Japan I was in a committed relationship, not conversational and didn't drink so avoided nightlife altogether. I'm now single, drink like a whale and 日本語上手 (I passed the N1 a few years back and have little to no accent) so I'm looking to make my second coming (this pun was intentional) one for the history books.
I'll be staying with my Japanese friend east of Ginza and can't bring girls back to his place so I'm looking to find some solid love hotels. Ideally I will be able to find girls to have "fun" with while out on the town but I'm also interested in giving P4P a try for the first time. Open to nanpa but shy/don't have the best game until I've got some drinks in me.

Biggest concerns:
1. What's the vibe like on weekday nights? (is it possible, advisable to try to find some action or should I just stick to touristy activities/schedule in P4P on these days?)
2. I'm a serious 面食い (I'm obsessed with girls that have a pretty face) so my strike zone is smaller compared to most of my guy friends.

Interested in hearing from you all leading up to my trip about how I should make the most of it while I'm there!

P.s. I'm looking to go somewhere else (maybe Fukuoka?) for a couple days but I'll be primarily operating out of Tokyo.

Welcome to TAG!
I'm now single, drink like a whale and 日本語上手 (I passed the N1 a few years back and have little to no accent) so I'm looking to make my second coming (this pun was intentional) one for the history books.
Drinking like a whale isn’t always a great thing; especially when with providers when you have limited time to keep the penis erect and firing.

It’s great to have an N1, but the lingo and jargon of fuzoku can be quite a hassle. Stay humble, but it’s great to have someone join the forum with Japanese ability.

(Inasmuch, get more familiar with CityHeaven because that site needs to make more sense than anything else if you are going to “suck seed.” I just made that pun up myself.)

Biggest concerns:
1. What's the vibe like on weekday nights? (is it possible, advisable to try to find some action or should I just stick to touristy activities/schedule in P4P on these days?)
2. I'm a serious 面食い (I'm obsessed with girls that have a pretty face) so my strike zone is smaller compared to most of my guy friends.

Interested in hearing from you all leading up to my trip about how I should make the most of it while I'm there!

P.s. I'm looking to go somewhere else (maybe Fukuoka?) for a couple days but I'll be primarily operating out of Tokyo.
1. Tokyo is a gigantic city. Somewhere at all times there is a vibe. You just gotta pay attention to the time of year and nearby events.

2. What defines a pretty face is from person to person. Some people swear to me Akita Bijins are the only ones worth it; others say they don’t exist. I like cute, idolesque, petite girls that are slender with kubire, yet a fat ass—I actually consider myself pretty picky, but I’ve found that my own strike zone has changed as I’ve fulfilled tons of fantasies over the last few years.

I guess my point is that you just have to try. Fuzoku is largely a game of roulette despite all the pictures and videos—in the end until she is naked on top of you, you can’t really be sure you’re happy with what you paid for. Pickup and dating, too, in a way is the same albeit effort is much more necessary.

Best of luck and keep us updated. Also, happy holidays!

Welcome to TAG!

Drinking like a whale isn’t always a great thing; especially when with providers when you have limited time to keep the penis erect and firing.

It’s great to have an N1, but the lingo and jargon of fuzoku can be quite a hassle. Stay humble, but it’s great to have someone join the forum with Japanese ability.

(Inasmuch, get more familiar with CityHeaven because that site needs to make more sense than anything else if you are going to “suck seed.” I just made that pun up myself.)

1. Tokyo is a gigantic city. Somewhere at all times there is a vibe. You just gotta pay attention to the time of year and nearby events.

2. What defines a pretty face is from person to person. Some people swear to me Akita Bijins are the only ones worth it; others say they don’t exist. I like cute, idolesque, petite girls that are slender with kubire, yet a fat ass—I actually consider myself pretty picky, but I’ve found that my own strike zone has changed as I’ve fulfilled tons of fantasies over the last few years.

I guess my point is that you just have to try. Fuzoku is largely a game of roulette despite all the pictures and videos—in the end until she is naked on top of you, you can’t really be sure you’re happy with what you paid for. Pickup and dating, too, in a way is the same albeit effort is much more necessary.

Best of luck and keep us updated. Also, happy holidays!
A lot of valuable takeaways here! Will keep an open mind and try to focus on enjoying my time rather than defaulting to min/maxing the experience.

I've just started looking into CityHeaven as of discovering this forum but despite speaking Japanese I have to say I'm not a fan of Japanese web design and it gives me a headache to navigate. I've been using Fuzokudx to do some research and I quite like their setup, doesn't seem to be as comprehensive as CityHeaven and I don't hear about it much on here, any insights? Also do the coupons on there actually work?

Thanks for the warm welcome and happy holidays!

So you're young, fit, European looking, and speak the language. Damn, you're just gonna have the worst time in Japan. Personal advise is don't lean on the alcohol for courage and try to quit if you can. Also, while you can go the p4p route, you've got the golden ticket to Nanpa with almost no effort. Just be wary of using love hotels if you trying Nanpa cause those have all the subtlety of using "let's fuck" as a pick-up line. Bound to some here and there to help with that path (been many a year since I've bothered).

P4P route is also good to help cure any case one-itis you might get with Nanpa. Once you realize sex is easy to get, that's one less thing (and a big one at that) to make you desperate. Check out the reviews to know decent first timer places. After that, abuse the fuck out of your language skills that opens far more doors.

Reactions: goodguyjean
So you're young, fit, European looking, and speak the language. Damn, you're just gonna have the worst time in Japan. Personal advise is don't lean on the alcohol for courage and try to quit if you can. Also, while you can go the p4p route, you've got the golden ticket to Nanpa with almost no effort. Just be wary of using love hotels if you trying Nanpa cause those have all the subtlety of using "let's fuck" as a pick-up line. Bound to some here and there to help with that path (been many a year since I've bothered).

P4P route is also good to help cure any case one-itis you might get with Nanpa. Once you realize sex is easy to get, that's one less thing (and a big one at that) to make you desperate. Check out the reviews to know decent first timer places. After that, abuse the fuck out of your language skills that opens far more doors.
I hang around the Japanese community in my locale and drinking is the norm so I'm surprised to see so many people on here advise me to not hit the booze too hard. Definitely want to operate coherent but my assumption was that booze + schmooze went hand in hand.

I'm rehearsing my starry-eyed gaijin who is just curious about what a love hotel is routine but am open to any alternatives I can find (her place, idk) I really like the P4P to get rid of Nanpa jitters idea. I touch down on a weekday so maybe hit the ground running and then try to work my magic in bars over the weekend!

Will keep everyone posted as things go down. For now I'm heading over to the reviews section!

I'm surprised to see so many people on here advise me to not hit the booze too hard.
Unless your name is @Tabanico, mixing booze and P4P is a bad, bad idea.

I love a good tipple, but I never partake before a session or a negotiation. Impairs performance, impairs decision making.

For context I'm in my mid 20's, Caucasian

visiting Japan for the second time in early February for two weeks

and 日本語上手 (I passed the N1 a few years back and have little to no accent)

While it may come as a shock!
It's good to be humble in Japan.
Boasting or exaggerating is spawned upon so climb down from the ladder and you will have a great time.

The math putting above quotes together just doesn't add up.

Last edited:
日本語上手 (I passed the N1 a few years back and have little to no accent)
how long did you learn and how do you practice the accent?
been hearing alot about fukuoka bijin, write a report once you were at it.

how long did you learn and how do you practice the accent?

been hearing alot about fukuoka bijin, write a report once you were at it.
At 20 years old, it is physically possible to have no accent if he started studying 7-10 years ago.

At around 12 or so the synapses for language acquisition rapidly degrade, as do the muscles in the jaw and tongue become strong enough to support the native language of a speaker. After that, learning the pronunciation of a foreign language has diminishing returns, gradually getting worse with poor aural skills and age. This isn’t a perfect number, either. Some people radically develop as early as 10 or as late as 13, but lingual freedom typically diminishes in puberty.

Still, fluent Japanese with little accent at 20 is something to be proud of. I started studying 22 years ago and I still feel like a moron muttering through DH phone calls.

Lol.. might be no need to P4P. Just a little bit of skill and you'll find someone. Your biggest "problem" might be the short vacation time. that could be either a positive or a negative depending on the girl you try to pick up. To maybe get around the potential of that being a negative, maybe say that you're thinking of someday moving to Japan long term in the future (which wouldn't be a lie if you have any thoughts at all of that).

Girls are often busy so go to areas where they expect (and possibly want) to get picked up at.

Save your money and use P4P as a backup plan if you're really horny but unsuccessful.
Consider a deai club since you can speak. You'd have a better time picking your specific looks preference when you can see the girls in person (vs online with filters and photoshop). Deai clubs are cheaper anyhow and you can negotiate for longer dates. They also feel more like dating than a service.

Reactions: cookiecrumps
Still, fluent Japanese with little accent at 20 is something to be proud of. I started studying 22 years ago and I still feel like a moron muttering through DH phone calls.
someone told me foreigners tend to overestimate their own fluency.

unless you practice accents like actor, yeah doesnt matter if how long we have exposure to the language.

someone told me I sounds native with english, but I know deep in my heart he was just bullshiting.

maybe I will learn some mandarin and korean for P4P in the future lol.

Last edited:
someone told me foreigners tend to overestimate their own fluency.
You don't realize how bad you are until you start trying to speak and have to come up with sentences on the top of your head and fast if you want any kind of good flow in the conversation. You get unlimited time to proofread and think if you're typing out a message, but don't have that kind of luxury when speaking. Now add on a phone conversation where the guy on the other line is wearing a mask to make it actually impossible for an "intermediate" learner

When the fuck did Japanese learners start sweating accents, especially trying to sound native? For the longest time the biggest bitch was about kanji and those that wanted to pick up Osaka-ben for some weird reason.

Probably because of Dogen and MattvsJapan. I don't think there was any focus on it until then (like 5 or so years ago) and more memes about how hard kanji is

Well OP doesn't claim to be fluent. He says he passed N1 which is a great accomplishment in and of itself.

Also looking foreign gives him a virtual pass for making verbal mistakes anyhow.

Reactions: Alice
I'm quite surprised at how many people went straight to suggesting I get off my high horse based on such little information.

I realize that the stupid gaijin who overestimates himself is a thing but jumping straight to assuming that I'm him after reading just one short blurb reflects poorly on some of you guys. If anything, I downplayed my Japanese ability when introducing myself and was quite humble to begin with. I'm certainly unfamiliar with punting and new to this community but that isn't a free pass to assume I'm some ignorant gaijin who learned textbook Japanese in a bubble that would pop as soon as he steps out into the real world.

I could cite the hundreds of Japanese expats I've met in my locale who default to asking how many years I lived in Japan, whether I'm a hāfu or whether I work in a Japanese company (none of which are true) or a million other reasons but that's not going to convince anybody. I've been called a genius more times than I can count and I keep coming up with new nonsensical answers as to why my Japanese is so good (such as claiming I was Japanese in a past life or just claiming to be Japanese straight up despite appearances) because I'm so sick and tired of having the same conversation over and over again whenever I meet a new expat. I put a lot of work into being this good and I deserve to be proud of it but given all that I've said I think its sufficient to say that I never intended to flaunt to begin with.

I also dated a Japanese girl for 4 years with the intent to marry so I've been thoroughly culturally potty-trained. I merely brought up my language skills because it's relevant to the kind of advice I'm trying to receive here!

I don't intend to @ anybody because I'm here to make friends and hopefully have a fun time and I think we should look to being generous with each other unless given reason to act otherwise.
Please forgive me if this reply seems a little heated but I took some statements quite seriously given that I also dislike blowhards! Really not trying to step on anybody's toes here!

P.s. to address some questions about the accent, I'm also a native speaker of a language in the same language family as Japanese (shared grammar & pronunciation) which helped correct for a lot of the errors that English-only Japanese learners imprint into their speech and helped me speed along when I was building a foundation and learning vocabulary and kanji! I was going through a nasty breakup when I started learning Japanese and channeling my energy into studying/working out really helped me stay consistent which is most important imho.

Reactions: cuckhimnow
I've been called a genius more times than I can count

As a mathematician I have to say that doesn't make you sound like a genius at all. Counting and basic calculus should be learned already before school age.

Don't take it too seriously. As with most internet forums TAG is very friendly but you need to learn to take some jabs and laugh them off. And you'd be surprised by the number of guys coming here thinking it's like Thailand or Philippines where every white guy is a god. Well, let me rephrase that; if you knew how to count you'd be surprised by the number.

But you are totally correct on the pronounciation thing. Japanese is a difficult language, that is if you speak English as your mother tongue. I don't and by the time I learned like the first five phrases people thought I was fluent because I don't have any accent.

I'm also a native speaker of a language in the same language family as Japanese
Native speaker of one of the Ruukyu island languages ? Somehow I doubt it.

Native speaker of one of the Ruukyu island languages ? Somehow I doubt it.
Altaic language families highly controversial but at least in my case seems to hold true so until completely disproven I continue to mention it 🤷‍♂️

I'm quite surprised at how many people went straight to suggesting I get off my high horse based on such little information.
I mean, if you're near-native/native level, you could just say that. The JLPT doesn't really mean much since it doesn't test your writing (typing) or speaking ability, just your reading and comprehension. Just a rough estimation at best to show that you have a Japanese high school level reading level for N1, which is enough to get through 99% of daily things to be fair

Altaic language families highly controversial but at least in my case seems to hold true so until completely disproven I continue to mention it 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, I am not fluent in genius so I just want to make sure did you mean "highly controversial" to be read as "no evidence supporting a genetic relationship among these languages at all"?

You know science kind of works so that if someone claims something they need to present the proof and not so that everyone disagreeing needs to disprove the claim?

Reactions: Tabanico and Sudsy
Sorry, I am not fluent in genius so I just want to make sure did you mean "highly controversial" to be read as "no evidence supporting a genetic relationship among these languages at all"?

You know science kind of works so that if someone claims something they need to present the proof and not so that everyone disagreeing needs to disprove the claim?
Obligatory "not a linguist but" don't see why there's a need to prove a genetic connection between these languages for my purposes. The bleeding over of languages or similarities in the lexicon can be attributed to geographical proximity of Turkic settlements and Chinese of which the impact on modern Japanese should go without mention.

And as with many fields not all knowledge can be boiled down to mathematical formulas, theories are reweaved and reinterpreted over time as ideas come in and out of vogue. Not every field out there is binary :)

I mean, if you're near-native/native level, you could just say that. The JLPT doesn't really mean much since it doesn't test your writing (typing) or speaking ability, just your reading and comprehension. Just a rough estimation at best to show that you have a Japanese high school level reading level for N1, which is enough to get through 99% of daily things to be fair
In hindsight maybe that would've been better. JLPT name drop was just meant to be supporting evidence since brand recognition is high and I was only trying to get across that I could handle myself.

Obligatory "not a linguist but" don't see why there's a need to prove a genetic connection between these languages for my purposes.

If your purpose is to claim it is a language family then that is actually exactly what you would need to prove by the definition.

theories are reweaved and reinterpreted over time as ideas come in and out of vogue

Indeed, just like the hypotetic Altaic language family has been rejected by the research community since 1950's.