Tokyo Subways to Get Softbank Service Between Stations

Karen

Mistress of the Night
Executive Leadership
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Is this a curse or a blessing? :confused:

JT said:
TOKYO - The Tokyo metropolitan government and Softbank Corp agreed Thursday to enable passengers in moving subway trains to send text messages and access the Internet on their handsets by installing antennas by the end of this year.

Tokyo Metro Co, the other subway train operator in the metropolitan area, said the same day that work for a similar service in its subway system has entered the final stage.

The latest moves reflect growing calls among consumers, including commuters, for cell phone text messaging and online access to be available inside moving subway trains. In Tokyo, cell phone networks are currently accessible at subway stations but not while trains are running between stations. The agreement came during a meeting between Tokyo Vice Gov Naoki Inose and Softbank President Masayoshi Son at the municipal head office.

During the meeting, Son proposed that e-mail use be enabled in subway trains because doing so would raise people’s productivity. Inose responded that the metropolitan government would consider the proposal to provide greater convenience for subway users.

The Japan Mobile Communications Infrastructure Association, a consortium of 17 companies, including the three major mobile phone service providers - Softbank, NTT Docomo Inc and KDDI Corp - is expected to foot the bill for the installation of antennas in the subway system run by the metropolitan government. Tokyo Metro, which is 47% owned by the metropolitan government, said in a statement on Thursday that it also thinks it is ‘‘within days of agreement’’ with the group on installing antennas in its subway system for the service.

Noting that he will soon become a director of the consortium and intends to run for the post of deputy chairman of the group, Son said he plans to reach a consensus with other members on realizing the installation of antennas by the end of this year. Mobile phone signals are often cut off while subway trains are in motion. But in some subway systems, such as those in the cities of Sapporo and Fukuoka, passengers can use e-mail even while trains are running.
http://www.japantoday.com/category/...to-enable-texting-net-access-on-subway-trains

God, I can see it now, more people yapping away on their phones like they do on the JR lines. It's usually not a Japanese person doing it, but other foreigner types.

Although there was a bit of a brawl on the Sobu line a few months back between some Japanese men arguing about talking on the phone while on the train.

I don't mind having the service for mail/texting, it's always a race to get a message sent before the train gets out of the station. The iPhone can be slow in getting a new signal and sending before the signal is gone again.

Enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts, I guess.

Holy shit... no kidding?

I hope this really happens, I get so sick of playing the mail sending game when a train arrives at the station.

Write Mail between stations...
Get to next station, wait for signal...
Press send vigorously...
Gamble if the mail-send will complete before train gets too far...
Either die inside a little or scream with a joy of success!

Hehehe...

Although there was a bit of a brawl on the Sobu line a few months back between some Japanese men arguing about talking on the phone while on the train.

Yeah, the nice thing about Japan is that talking on the phone in trains is considered very rude and people will call you out on it.