Guest viewing is limited

Tourists Getting Scammed

ShowaJidai

Been here too long
Reaction score
I was hanging out with some friends - a couple of whom have worked- or do work - in the hotel industry. They were saying how common it has become for tourists to get roofy'ed and ripped off in Roppongi. It's almost an everyday thing in some nice hotels even.

And of course the police do nothing about it - since they don't have the resources nor inclination. No incentive for them to do anything about it.

I see how it happens to tourists from even much rougher places - they come here and see how safe Japan is and let their guard down.

I would hope there could/would be a website like "Japan Scam Alert" - some way to get the word out. But I can see gow it could run into legal trouble if some innocent bar/club got its name un-justly slandered.

I would hope there could/would be a website like "Japan Scam Alert" - some way to get the word out. But I can see gow it could run into legal trouble if some innocent bar/club got its name un-justly slandered.
You are more right than you know.

I sometimes think people have unreasonable expectations that Japan is 100% safe and nothing bad will happen to them and they don't think with their common sense, especially in areas with high number of tourists, and of course, especially those areas with rich tourists. I guess those tourists or people in suites have too much money to care?

I don't really like Roppongi (don't like clubbing) and would only venture there for maybe food and occasional visit of the new development areas (I like new buildings, the well designed ones). I mean, even Google is moving out of Roppongi and into Shibuya instead.

Oh I get it. No way to vet every person who wants to post a story of woe - and all of those would be based on foggy memories of people new to the area.

Any established club has deeper pockets than some small website and would have a lawyer on it before breakfast.

Reactions: earnesteric
I sometimes think people have unreasonable expectations that Japan is 100% safe and nothing bad will happen to them and they don't think with their common sense, especially in areas with high number of tourists, and of course, especially those areas with rich tourists. I guess those tourists or people in suites have too much money to care?

I don't really like Roppongi (don't like clubbing) and would only venture there for maybe food and occasional visit of the new development areas (I like new buildings, the well designed ones). I mean, even Google is moving out of Roppongi and into Shibuya instead.

I'm with you. Roppongi shits me. Kabukicho is not far behind. Ikebukuro would be #3 place to stay away from.

Even as an old dude I enjoy Shibuya a lot more.
Also have never had a bad time in Akasaka. Smaller, but a lot of fun with bar / restaurant staff smiling a lot, and even the Chinese massage ladies seem to have a happy attitude.

Apart from a bit of bait and switch, I've never really been scammed, but have met mates in the lobby at check out who need to borrow cash as they have been cleaned out the night before.

I was hanging out with some friends - a couple of whom have worked- or do work - in the hotel industry. They were saying how common it has become for tourists to get roofy'ed and ripped off in Roppongi. It's almost an everyday thing in some nice hotels even.

And of course the police do nothing about it - since they don't have the resources nor inclination. No incentive for them to do anything about it.

The main reasons the police don't do anything about it are that it's rarely reported, and even when it is, it's usually after the drugs are flushed from the victim's system, so there's no evidence of anything beyond a drunk fool running up his own cards. I know a number of residents who've been hit, and they don't report because they're afraid the Nigerians will come knocking on their door. Tourists either don't know how or where to file a report, and often have a flight to catch and don't have time. The scumbags choose their targets as well - they're looking for friendly types that don't seem like they'd cause trouble.

Yeah, the nature of the anti-defamation laws mean that even if it was true, they could potentially win a legal battle.

And the truth is that even if/when this stuff does get reported to the police it is just written up as a lost - as in lost-and-found - item. Nothing gets written up as stolen unless somebody can prove somebody stole it.

Since no crime was committed the police have no reason to act.

Reactions: Sudsy
Since no crime was committed the police have no reason to act.

One of the metrics police stations are judged on is total crime rate in their area - which is already a strong incentive for them not to record crimes in the first place.

The next major metric is their clearance rate - the percentage of reported crimes that end up in charges being laid.

Add the two together, and you get the lovely situation we have now where the police are loathe to record crimes, and even more so if it's unlikely they'll be able to pin it on someone quickly.

So yep - they won't touch it unless there's a REALLY good chance they can arrest someone.

Just recommend tourists not to dick around and get shitfaced in Roppongi, and if they do to stay with the bigger clubs and not walk off to Nigerian bars.
Problem solved i’d say.

Do luxury hotel staff really drug people? I have my doubts about that.

Just recommend tourists not to dick around and get shitfaced in Roppongi, and if they do to stay with the bigger clubs and not walk off to Nigerian bars.
Problem solved i’d say. .
I am wondering how to get this word out. I'm not aware of a website or other venue which would be the best way to spread the word. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Do luxury hotel staff really drug people? I have my doubts about that.
I'm not sure where this comment is coming from. I wouldn't believe this coming from anybody.
- Oh, I went back and re-read my first post. What I meant is that even some of the better hotels see their guests regularly getting roofy'ed and ripped off in Roppongi and other places. My point is that these are probably somewhat more mature (not 20-something kids) who I would expect to know better. I know there are small clubs that are doing this but it seems there are also individuals or small groups hanging out in bigger/nicer clubs/bars doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudsy
it seems there are also individuals or small groups hanging out in bigger/nicer clubs/bars doing this.

Yep, they send girls out to the "safe" bars to look for drunk horny punters to pull back to the scammy joints.

They seem to be getting wise to the idea that the word is out about your friendly neighbourhood African tout and are shifting gears.

If a woman you've just met suggests going to another bar that you don't already know about - she's probably working for the roofie crew.

If a woman you've just met suggests going to another bar that you don't already know about - she's probably working for the roofie crew.
I’d say its more likely they want to get drink back in another place, but it could be if its a super seedy joint.

Reactions: Wwanderer
I’d say its more likely they want to get drink back in another place, but it could be if its a super seedy joint.

Roofie crew pays better these days.

But either way - you're getting scammed.

Why waste time with some drunk guy for a cut from the bar off maybe a half dozen drinks when you can spike his drink, wait for him to pass out, and take his Rolex?

Reactions: earnesteric
I notice that Tokyo isn't covered.

The key areas are specifically mentioned.
Safety and Security
Crime:
Crime against U.S. citizens in Japan is generally low and usually involves personal disputes, theft, or vandalism. In addition:

• Robberies committed after a victim has been drugged from a spiked drink are increasing.
  • Sexual assaults are not often reported, but they do occur, and victims may be randomly targeted. Victim's assistance resources or shelters are difficult for foreigners to access.
  • Hate-related violent crimes rarely occur, although some U.S. citizens have reported being the target of discrimination because of their nationality or their race.
  • Pick pocketing can occur in crowded shopping areas, on trains, and at airports.
  • Police reports must be filed before leaving Japan, as Japanese police will not accept reports filed from overseas.
  • In instances involving credit card theft or fraud, Japanese police often provide a report number rather than a police report. You can provide this report number to your credit card company in order to confirm the incident with the police.
Entertainment and Nightlife Districts in Tokyo:

• Use caution in all entertainment and nightlife districts throughout Japan, especially Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro.
  • Incidents involving U.S. citizens in these areas include physical and sexual assaults, drug overdoses, theft of purses, wallets, cash and credit cards at bars or clubs, and drugs allegedly slipped into drinks.
  • Drink spiking at bars and entertainment venues, especially in areas such as Roppongi and Kabuki-cho, near Shinjuku, has led to robbery, physical and sexual assaults, and credit card fraud. Some victims regain consciousness in the bar or club; other victims may awaken on the street or other unfamiliar locations.
  • U.S. citizens have reported being threatened with gun or knife violence in such venues so that they will pay exorbitant bar tabs or withdraw money. U.S. citizens have also reported being beaten when they have refused to pay or hand over money.
  • There have been recent reports of U.S. citizens being forcibly taken to ATMs and robbed, or made to withdraw funds after being unable to pay exorbitant bar tabs.
  • Please be aware that Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, and other entertainment and nightlife districts have also been the scenes of violence between criminal syndicates.

I think it used to be just Roppongi and maybe Kabukicho.

Yeah, they’re moving afield to keep ahead of the cops. If you don’t let your sheep overgraze a field, you can keep coming back to it every so often. Overdo it, and you’re left with dirt and rocks.

Problem solved i’d say.

I am wondering how to get this word out. I'm not aware of a website or other venue which would be the best way to spread the word. Let me know if you have any ideas.

A website/forum called Common Sense maybe? ;):LOL:

A website/forum called Common Sense maybe? ;):LOL:
Right. Honestly I don’t understand who OP feels the need to make it his personal matter. Those things happen everywhere and maybe its the job of Roppongi high end hotels to warn their clients not to trust the friendly neighborhood Nigerian or girls out of their league who seem sooo into them but want to go to another bar rather than their hotel room. Its not our concern what drunk tourists do. If anything they make it more difficult for us to be treated well and accepted by locals.
OP, you’re often scolding new guys on te forum for asking obvious questions instead of patiently advising them so why make these tourists your personal concern?

Ok that came out bitcier than planned but on a serious note, it would be much more effective if the luxury hotels would hang signs in English and a few other languages (Mandarin, Japanese) warning against overly friendly people chatting them off and asking them out to other bars. Also to write on them that it can also happen on the street and in other places and not only that hotel bar.

Of course we can not hang them ourselves but we may be able to mail luxury hotels and suggest that.

If someone googles about dangers in Tokyo, most likely Roppongi and the Nigerians will already show up. So I don’t know if another site will do any good if people don’t research anyway.