Guest viewing is limited

Train Nampa

Shizumaru

SNK is cool
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't really attempted or done much of this before... How does picking up a girl in the train work? With all the other people listening in close by, if it doesn't make me nervous, it might also make the girl self conscious.

Any hints?
Any specific train lines that are good for this? Times of day? Subway? JR?

Solong, get in here.

Reactions: Cinnabums
If you must, perhaps choose an off-rush-hour time of day so they have some freedom to move to a different car if your advances prove unwelcome.

Reactions: Vulkan and meiji
It's easy, if you take the right approach.

1) Look professional (suit or dress shirt), or dress well and fashionably.

The exception to this is if you are clearly a very muscular guy. Then you can dress to show your muscles off, but it still should look clean and fashionable.

If you look and smell sloppy and funky, don't be surprised if women aren't talking to you.

2) Be BOLD. You must act confident, cool, and calm.

This will often calm panicky type women. She will often calm down, because you look calm. Be aware of how your behavior can cause her to react. If your eyes are wide with panic or you have a crazy look on your face, don't be surprised if she reacts negatively to that?

3) Don't be afraid of starting conversations or rejection.

This is often the key for many guys. Don't YOU be all self-conscious, that's for the women to be all worried about. Talk about anything she is wearing (from shoes to fingernails), anything around you (from advertisements to announcements on the train speaker), or ask her a question where you need her help or want her opinion (Excuse me, can I ask you a question? How do Japanese say...? I read a news article about Japanese culture, and wanted to know your opinion about...?)

4) Learn to be smooth about how you walk up or come up next to women.

You don't run or rush up to a woman. This can startle them. You sit next to them or casually walk up and stand next to them and a bit parallel to them. If the train is crowded, just boldly sit next to them (start looking for a cute girl when the train first arrives and as the door opens). If the train is empty, leave a seat between you. Even if there is a seat between you, go ahead and start a conversation. If the conversation is going well, after 5 or 10 minutes (be mindful of her train stop), pretend like you are having problems hearing her and ask to sit next to her. If she is standing up on the train or platform, just walk next to her and pretend you are playing on your mobile fun for 30 seconds, then start talking.

5) Learn to NOT look or act creepy or weird. Focus on being smooth and relaxed in how your talk and behave.

Don't try to physically escalate and touch on women in the trains. It can end badly for you. What you are focusing on is the conversation going well and getting her contact info. You want to strongly make sure you don't come off the wrong way.

6) Don't be afraid to ride down DIFFERENT train lines and learn good ones or good stops.

All the lines and stops are not the same. Learn those that are good for you, in your area.

If the conversation goes unexpectedly well and you and her have some free time, you can ask her to go eat or drink with you at some restaurant at a certain train stop. If you get to that point, touching and hugging (physical escalation) might be possible. This is why planning and knowing the train stop and areas around it are to your advantage. But don't expect train conversations to go that far. If you get her contact, then you have done very well, because meeting in such a way is very unexpected and she is likely focused on going home, work, or meeting other people.

7) There are also coffee shops in or near the train station, so those are options too.

Last edited:
How Not To Come Off Creepy Or Like A Chikan

As long time residents and Japanese know, there are Chikans (usually Japanese men) that get on trains and do all kinds of weird acts. Touching womens' butts and croutch, getting up behind women and rubbing their penis against them, putting cameras under the dress of women, etc...

As a result, Japanese women can be hyper-defensive. In fact, often TOO much and excessively so, being very panicky and hysterical beyond any actual or real threat. Be mindful that her imagination might be running wild, divorced from your actual actions and reality.

What will often make Japanese women on the trains react negatively is your style of dress, how you look at them, and your behavior.

Often it's stereotypically assumed that a "chikan" looks somewhat like a robber and thief or someone dirty and perverted, not a well dressed or fashionable salary man. The more well dressed you are, the less fear and sususpicion you will arouse.

The next part is how you behave:

1) Staring at a woman too long IS considered being creepy, so PUAs should never do that.

Creepy guys often look directly at a woman, and stare at her up and down. Often holding a gaze for way too long, with a weird or stupid look on their face (usually without him realizing it). Often appearing mentally slow and socially unaware.

For a PUA, you need to be stealthy at how you look at women and if you see a pretty woman or a lady you wish to talk to, decide immediately if you will go for it.

The best mind-set is the "accidental" meeting. You just happened to stand or sit next to her. Pretend to have not seen her previously and ignore her for the first 30 seconds to 1 minute that you move in position (but NO more than that), then start talking to her. This technique allows a woman to get comfortable with your presence into her space, before you start talking.

2) Many Japanese women will often overeact if you are too "touchy" on the trains.

Creeps and chikans usually come up behind women and don't make eye contact, but many Japanese women are overly paranoid. So even if you are trying to have a normal conversation with them, they can be panicky.

Keep in mind that the train is a different environment than a night club or a date at a restaurant. No matter how well the train conversation is going, be careful how you are being perceived and that others are watching, due to the nature of being on a train. You should act like a perfect gentleman.

The only exceptions to touching are if you are talking about her fingernails, her hand shape or size, or palm reading. In those scenarios, on the train, you may touch her hands briefly. That she will give you her hand and if she does it calmly or awkwardly, is a LITMUS and compliance test. It's NOT necessary for you to try it on the train, but it's optional.

If the conversation goes extremely well, always ask her to meet you outside the train station at a nearby restaurant that YOU know (and you can be more touchy there), to include hotels in the area. Continuing the conversation at coffee shops or restaurants in the train station, or in an area that you do NOT know is usually a WASTE of time. Better to meet her another day, at a location you know well, and you being more prepared to escalate.

A great advantage of train nampa/pua, is how inexpensive it is and the quality of women.

A lot of guys, searching for some mythical magical spot to pick up women will spend $50, $100, and more dollars a night on drinks. And will come home with nothing for it except puking on themself and blue balls. The train is very inexpensive with an unlimited supply of women.

And the quality on the trains and streets is actually higher than the club. At many night clubs and bars, there are sloppy and arrogant without reason club rat type women, who go to that same place all the time. They can have no job, be about nothing, and would be the worse girlfriend possible, even if you hooked up with them. On the trains, you pick the level of women you wish to talk with. Many are going to college, graduated, have good jobs, and are the type of woman you can be proud to be with.

Furthermore, train nampa works well in South Korea too. Picked up a beautiful tall Korean woman (on my last trip) who brought me to her house, that very night we met. Was better doing the trains than the night clubs in Hongdae and Gangnam (Korea). Tokyo is the same. "Sex In The City." Huge advantage for women to be anonymous and enjoy an active sex life in the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: shogun and Vulkan

Sigh, guys that don't understand PUA, can sometimes get themselves confused.

http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2014/1...lestation-division-arrested-for-groping-teen/

Look, in this report, a Japanese chief of police in Kanagawa got himself in trouble. He definitely wasn't PUA or doing Nampa, and was just being creepy and molesting girls.

Groping, up skirt cameras, and molesting women on trains has absolutely NOTHING to do with PUA. And you may have noticed that I went out the way to show a clear distinction. But thanks, because for those that are confused, let's clarify it even more.

The Italian guy, in the report, was kissing on women. Actually, to kiss a woman's hand is part of traditional European culture, that Japanese watching or were done to didn't understand. Physically trying to manhandle or molest women will nearly always get you in trouble. It doesn't matter where either. Physically harassing and molesting women in a disco, on the street, or at work will get you in equal trouble. So, it's not about the trains, it's about what those guys are doing.

Chikans, creeps, molesters, and guys charged with sexual harassment and assualt or often trying to force themselves upon women. Often establishing not enough or even no rapport with the woman. They usually fail at communication, conversation, and/or waiting for the woman to show reciprocation or agreement. Thus they are violating her rights and the law. If a woman were to do such to a man or boy, it's the same problem.

Kissing is towards the LAST stages of physical interactions with women, prior to trying to have sex with her. It should be only attempted when you have ESTABLISHED rapport and comfort with women, and after she has positively responded to lesser, like hugging and hand holding.

You will NOT have any problems enjoying conversations with women on the train.

Last edited:
Reactions: shogun
I would like to add that a guy with common sense, will know when a woman is reacting positively to the conversation he is having with her. The woman will be clearly responding positively and reciprocating, in both her body language and her words.

He's not physically forcing himself on the woman against her will or ignoring her negative body language or direct request for him to leave her alone.

If the conversation is about simply getting her phone number or contact. No physical interaction or touching is required.

If the guy feels he is getting such a positive reaction from the woman, that's he wants to go for it beyond a phone number on that SAME day, he can ASK her (thus requiring her consent and agreement) to go with him to a restaurant or bar OUTSIDE of the train station. If she likes and feels that comfortable with you, then she will go with you. At the different location, that's when and where, a guy can get more romantic and touch test a woman (in a safe and non-offensive manner). Like hold her hand or arm around the shoulder, for example. And then guage her reaction.

Otherwise, if she won't come with you to somewhere else, then that's a clear litmus test and sign. If you have her contact info, you can request to meet some other day. You can possibly establish greater rapport and comfort through messages or phone conversations, then try meeting her again.

Last edited:
Back in 2009 I had an actual romance with the woman I met on a train. We were commuting every morning in the same direction, same time, same wagon and gradually we started communicating. She was little bit older then me, her hubby wasn't very interested in doing her and one morning she sent me an email that we should meet in green car instead of normal one. I sit next to her just to get kiss couple of minutes after. Two days later we were banging like rabbits in kids park (night time) and in the next couple of months she was giving me head on regular basis in almost empty green car heading toward Tokyo in evening hours. Those were the days when I was praying for train delays....

Have picked up girls on buses (1 time in Europe/1 time in Australia) did get a wank on the Hibiya-sen but knew that lady before the train ride.

Reactions: John Chavers
I have 3 years of experience with this. The social stigma really makes it hard to act authentic and relaxed.

Not so proud moment:

The first time I approached a woman in a train I was in a suit at 6pm rush hour. Absolutely packed and she was right next to me. I said "Genki? Where you goin' to today?"

She literally turned her back on me and the entire train was silent. Most awkward 5 minutes-to-the-next-station of my life. Of course, the real irony, is I lost nothing from that interaction.

That burn helped me though. No arrest, No punch in the face from a J-dude...nothing, but silence and perceived judgment (all in my head) of an entire packed train at rush hour.

Proud moment (years later):

Girl I'm dating and me are at WOMB in Tokyo. Girls come up to us

GIRLS: "You two look so cute- how did you meet?
MY 'GIRLFRIEND': "He just came up to me on the Yamanote Line!"
GIRLS: Sugoi! How romantic!

o_O

My approach style:

I am NOT a master at this (some guys on Japan Lair are), but I'd say I have more experience than 99% of foreigners doing this.

"Excuse me" and then comment on whatever is in there hands, app, iPhone (I used to literally say "is that the new iPhone"). Reactions differed like crazy, just like in a bar or club. Some blow outs, some numbers, and many instant dates.

All you can do is be confident (as Solong said), DON'T get physical, and be that "Quiet Train" style of gentle, soft spoken, but playful.

But my biggest advice? Understand you will, at some point, get horribly rejected and suffer through the RIDE OF SILENCE (like my first experience).

Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I have 3 years of experience with this. The social stigma really makes it hard to act authentic and relaxed.

Not so proud moment:

The first time I approached a woman in a train I was in a suit at 6pm rush hour. Absolutely packed and she was right next to me. I said "Genki? Where you goin' to today?"

She literally turned her back on me and the entire train was silent. Most awkward 5 minutes-to-the-next-station of my life. Of course, the real irony, is I lost nothing from that interaction.

That burn helped me though. No arrest, No punch in the face from a J-dude...nothing, but silence and perceived judgment (all in my head) of an entire packed train at rush hour.

Proud moment (years later):

Girl I'm dating and me are at WOMB in Tokyo. Girls come up to us

GIRLS: "You two look so cute- how did you meet?
MY 'GIRLFRIEND': "He just came up to me on the Yamanote Line!"
GIRLS: Sugoi! How romantic!

o_O

My approach style:

I am NOT a master at this (some guys on Japan Lair are), but I'd say I have more experience than 99% of foreigners doing this.

"Excuse me" and then comment on whatever is in there hands, app, iPhone (I used to literally say "is that the new iPhone"). Reactions differed like crazy, just like in a bar or club. Some blow outs, some numbers, and many instant dates.

All you can do is be confident (as Solong said), DON'T get physical, and be that "Quiet Train" style of gentle, soft spoken, but playful.

But my biggest advice? Understand you will, at some point, get horribly rejected and suffer through the RIDE OF SILENCE (like my first experience).

Feel free to PM me.
I would give it a shot and it is great advice but unfortunately I have a face of a rabid pitbull. Nothing I can do about it. I once asked someone for directions and they practically ran away from me. In NY I never had a problem because women there like the strong look but here it's the complete opposite.
This place is nice if you're handsome or passable in the looks department. Confidence is a must but you gotta have a balance of looks as well.