Turned away at La Mode in Kabukicho

usualblue

TAG Member
Reaction score
Just a warning:

My Japanese date I decided to spend the night at a love hotel last night after missing the last train from Shinjuku.

Finally found one with rooms available — La Mode in Kabukicho— but was turned away because both guests have to be fluent Japanese speakers.

First time that’s happened to me after many years in Tokyo and countless LH experiences ...

Reactions: TAG Manager
Just a warning:

My Japanese date I decided to spend the night at a love hotel last night after missing the last train from Shinjuku.

Finally found one with rooms available — La Mode in Kabukicho— but was turned away because both guests have to be fluent Japanese speakers.

First time that’s happened to me after many years in Tokyo and countless LH experiences ...
Really surprised this still happens - but thanks for the report and sorry to hear that this happened.

What did you wind up doing instead? Taxi? Or go further for another room?

Just a warning:

Thats really weird. I've been to that one with Japanese people a few times and they have never turned me down. This was a pretty long time ago so maybe there is a new receptionist.

That's wierd.

I often go to love hotel (dah) and many of them ask me if any of us could communicate in Japanese; I usually speak English with my client while we choose the room over the panel. But as soon as they confirm I am Japanese, they never give us further question.

Even in the beginning when I couldn’t say a word of Japanese I never had any issues with LH. In many there is not even anyone there to speak to. Sounds like you got a racist receptionist.

Reactions: Lukes and usualblue
It might actually be a health and safety issue. If they use an emergency announcement system which is in only in Japanese -they might not want the non-Japanese speakers to roast to death in the event of a fire.

Reactions: impish
It might actually be a health and safety issue. If they use an emergency announcement system which is in only in Japanese -they might not want the non-Japanese speakers to roast to death in the event of a fire.

Well, if they were racists that would be exactly what they want.

Are we sure they didn't actually ask for a passport for the non-Japanese person; did they actually tell you both need to speak Japanese to enter?

Reactions: Sudsy and impish
Are we sure they didn't actually ask for a passport for the non-Japanese person; did they actually tell you both need to speak Japanese to enter?

Yes, we’re sure. Yes, they actually did, according to my date, anyway. She was pretty shocked and pissed off by the situation.

Again, this never happened to me before, and other gaijin here reportedly used this particular LH with no issues. Probably an isolated incident, but I thought it worth shining a light on.