Guest viewing is limited

VPN and TAG

Henry Fielding

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Recently, I have started using a VPN on my cellphone and on my domestic network. Since that moment I have not been able to access this forum either from the cellphone or from the home computer. The only solution I have found is to disable the VPN--then everything return to normal.

My VPN provider is NordVPN in case this detail could be useful.

Does anyone else face this problem?

Is there a way to avoid this?

Cheers,

HF

We automatically block VPN's with negative reputation. (Spam, fraud and bad actors - all have come from VPN sources, sorry, just not going to tolerate it.)

Thanks--which are those with negative reputation?

HF
Quite frankly, all of them. They all share the same common infrastructure with VPS units across a handful of providers.
When one moves out, another moves in or takes over the IP range. It's a fucking plague.
Don't be sold on the whole privacy issue around VPN's, it's not all it's chalked up to be despite the claims. You're still moving data through a 3rd party system, which you don't have any viewpoint on.

(Personally, don't care what people do... TAG as an entity doesn't care except when we start getting crapped on from people jumping around these services, pretending to be different people, etc.)

Nord occupies a large swath of Datacamp space (or rebranded as CDN77). A good selection of it it's blacklisted.

VPN's are intended to be a tool for businesses to connect employees to the internal company networks to protect company data.

Reactions: impish
I want. how?

10000 times this.... If you do not control or manage the VPN server, you do not have any privacy.
I was going to say this, but didn't want to go off on a tangent about it. But yeah, this is what I was getting at.

I run my own US "VPN" server just for the proxy to use a local US connection. Makes things easier to conduct US-related business and access US-locked content.

There's a couple of good options for nearly turn-key solutions: (i.e. run a script and go)
1) https://github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand
2) https://github.com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn

The only times I'd ever use a VPN are for company business, personal needs in the US and if i'm on some shady public connection (unsecured wifi, etc) which is rare.

Last edited:
That ain't gonna happen......

VPN are not all bad. They do prevent your ISP or the ISP you're using on someone else's connection (i.e. corporate network, corporate guest network, Starbucks, etc.) from tracking your metadata as everything is traversing an encrypted tunnel. I use a private VPN when I want privacy and one of a few well-known public VPNs for localizing into US, Europe and South America. They work well for that and save on phone calls using wifi calling. I'm not paranoid or anything like that but VPNs do keep the honest people honest and do prevent the script kiddies mostly from hacking your behind your POP devices. I agree that the big VPNs like Nord are a waste of money if you want true privacy.

Does anyone else face this problem?

Is there a way to avoid this?
Just pause the connection before you load up TAG. There’s options of 5min, 30min, and 1 hour. The VPN will automatically reconnect after time is up.

Although I wouldn’t be looking at TAG on a work network where they monitor my traffic. Lol.
VPN are not all bad. They do prevent your ISP or the ISP you're using on someone else's connection (i.e. corporate network, corporate guest network, Starbucks, etc.) from tracking your metadata as everything is traversing an encrypted tunnel.
On a non-privacy note, I like them because connecting to another country gives me different ads, especially on YouTube. I hate seeing all the same aweful US ads every time online. VPN connected to Japan or Korea typically, much prettier faces. Lol.