Guest viewing is limited

VPN?

Maxblack

Older doesn’t mean wiser
Reaction score
I appreciate that tag access via vpn is blocked. I use 1.1.1.1 by cloudflare for dns speed and privacy, which I guess is classified as a vpn but I thought it was only for domain resolution? Anyway when I have it active I am blocked from tag. Wasn’t sure if it’s because 1.1.1.1 really IS a vpn or if it’s just classified as such by the reference tag uses to block vpn access. Thx.

I appreciate that tag access via vpn is blocked. I use 1.1.1.1 by cloudflare for dns speed and privacy, which I guess is classified as a vpn but I thought it was only for domain resolution? Anyway when I have it active I am blocked from tag. Wasn’t sure if it’s because 1.1.1.1 really IS a vpn or if it’s just classified as such by the reference tag uses to block vpn access. Thx.
As @zerosupblues pointed out, that's just a DNS resolver. We don't really have any control over DNS resolvers, so that shouldn't matter. It only matters if you happen to be on a blocked network segment. I'll run some tests with different configs and see if there's anything going on that shouldn't be on our side.

Reactions: homer69
I can confirm through testing that DNS resolving should not impact the access to TAG unless you're on a flagged network.

FWIW, I ran some benchmarks on known DNS resolvers and came up with this:

1678262286980.png

I tend to get better performance results with using nameservers with the better benchmark tests.
On my test bench, I set 1.1.1.1 for the primary resolver but my results were much better when I used one of the top resolvers in this list.

1678262475297.png

Added: Showing Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) Result lower in the list.

1678263119536.png

Last edited:
Cool thanks. Sorted now. There’s a setting for DNS Only that used to be default on. An app upgrade and it now defaults off (I.e. defaults to “warp vpn”). Thx.

As for 1.1.1.1, that indeed is just a DNS resolver. It's by Cloudflare, akin to Google's 8.8.8.8. It should let anything through.

However, 1.1.1.2 purports to filter-out sites with malware. 1.1.1.3 is the "family friendly" version, no sexy stuff.