Waiving Credit Card Payment For Cancelled Flight

Ches

Sweet as Sugar
Reaction score
Today I had three consecutive bookings on airplane. On the last one, which is a domestic transfer, (which I waited for freaking 8 hours without hotel, just camping around the dark, hot airport), was cancelled due to power failure. AIRPORT WITH NO ELECTRICITY TODAY! in a freaking third world country.

They never notified at all, during my check in time, it was announced suddenly that my flight, as well as all the other flights of that airline has been cancelled. No notification, no anything. No assistance and people were sooo angry but the staffs are much angrier answering their queries. It was freaking anarchy.

I incurred additional expenses which is booking a hotel and booking another flight for tomorrow (which is crazy expensive). The airline doesn't show any acts of sympathy or accountability at all. I've been dialing their hotlines over and over again but I think they just hanged up the phone. I wanna get a refund coz that's the least they could do, but looks like it'll be a huge hassle.

Now my question is, is it possible to call the bank (japanese bank) to waive the fee given the situation? What can I do about this situation. This is highly stressful but worse of all is that they don't even seemed to care. The flight is just cancelled, and that's just it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Now my question is, is it possible to call the bank (japanese bank) to waive the fee given the situation? What can I do about this situation. This is highly stressful but worse of all is that they don't even seemed to care. The flight is just cancelled, and that's just it.

Do you mean to reverse the charge to get a refund? If so, you'd have to declare something like goods or services not received which could be categorized as fraud. If you really need to travel and to use that ticket, I'd try to work it out with the airlines instead of getting the bank involved. However, if the airline is a domestic one (you said 3rd world country) and smaller, you may have some problems getting that worked out. If there's no resolve, then file a claim with your credit card provider.

This may also be a risk of booking with the smaller airlines directly. If it was an online travel service etc I'd imagine they'd refund you or try to fix the situation.

What a bummer situation.

Hate to go all father like on you but did you get travel insurance? I never got it when I was young, but several costly incidents later I've found it more than pays it's way.

What a bummer situation.

Hate to go all father like on you but did you get travel insurance? I never got it when I was young, but several costly incidents later I've found it more than pays it's way.
No, I removed the travel insurance coz I was trying to avail the cheapest option as possible. [emoji24][emoji24]

No, I removed the travel insurance coz I was trying to avail the cheapest option as possible. [emoji24][emoji24]

Ouch. Well, as you've now found out, "cheapest" does not always equate to "most cost-effective". Chalk it up to a learning experience... but the airline does still have some liability in this case. Keep at them!

Not sure how you plan to fly back, but if you cancel the payment, the return flight might get cancelled as well.
In any case I would wait till I'm back and not further spoil your trip with that.
I assume you booked the flights separately? Otherwise you might want to try the airline which took you there.

They've already been paid. It's a matter of resolving with the agent first, Airlines, and then credit card dispute if none of that isn't satisfactory. If a 3rd party website or travel agent handled it then it complicates things for the card dispute and will probably not get you as much as you want. But it's worth a try.

If you took the flight and claim services not received, I doubt they will agree. Otherwise you will be asked what the airline did to resolve the issue. Maybe services not as agreed/advertised or fully rendered, if you had taken any flight. It all depends on the agents, 3rd party website and the airlines rules. They made a law in the USA recently that Airlines must compensate customers for being x hours late. But that's there.

You should check the terms and conditions of purchase of whom you gave your card number to.

Last edited:
Call the bank first and they you will at least tell you if you can get a refund for the missed flight.

For the other expenses. It is a gamble whether spending time and stress trying to talk to the airline will actually result in you getting any money back.

Good luck!

I am now waiting for the flight I rebooked, while waiting for the plane I dropped by the ticketing office of my airline yesterday and they approved a refund on my ticket yesterday. It isn't much but the stressed they caused on me is huge. Anyway, I am happy now. Will be on my final destination in one hour.

Thank you everyone! :)

I used to think that insurance was a big scam, but ended up buying it every trip just for peace of mind. Then, a few years ago I had a pretty bad accident, broke a lot of bones (11 in total) and ended up being an in-patient in hospital for a few weeks and having to be medically transferred from Asia back to the UK.

I know that my hospital bill was over £8,000 alone, plus the cost of the flight in business class etc. The fact that I picked up the phone and within 10 minutes they had arranged to have me transferred to an English speaking hospital and took care of all the transport arrangements means I think I got my moneys worth out of insurance for the rest of my life.