Guest viewing is limited

Weight Loss....

A few more points.

When I talk about processed foods, that includes bakery products, like bread, made with anything rather than whole grain flour. Processed white flours are metabolized and resemble sugar.

That no carb fad, including no gluten, except for a tiny segment of the population, was merely driven by corporate greed, to make money through fear mongering. If you are going to monger, stick with TAG and ignore the BS.

If you do not cook, start learning. No excuse in the YouTube age of citizen education, complete with visuals.

I owned a restaurant, back in the 80's that featured healthy and delicious foods.

I do not have a weight issue since I've been physically active all my life. I stand 191 cm and weigh about 85 kg.

This healthy eating regime is more than about weight. It's heart health. It's cancer prevention. Goggle the two terms and you'll discover that those two causes of premature death can be drastically reduced with a healthy diet.

And... Research shows-your sex life will improve.

How's that for motivation?

Sorry, but i get very annoyed by posts like these. Eat yogurt! drink mainly water!

If you are overweight and you want to lose weight the ONLY thing you need to worry about is the amount of calories you are consuming.

There are all sorts of benefits that accrue from eating nutritionally rich foods, but that has nothing to do with weight loss.

If you want to lose weight you just need to stop eating so much.

Sorry, but i get very annoyed by posts like these. Eat yogurt! drink mainly water!

If you are overweight and you want to lose weight the ONLY thing you need to worry about is the amount of calories you are consuming.

There are all sorts of benefits that accrue from eating nutritionally rich foods, but that has nothing to do with weight loss.

If you want to lose weight you just need to stop eating so much.

Curaçao, what annoys me are people that refuse to look at the research and form opinions based on obscure notions.

Your calories in, calories out equals weight loss/gain, is so 20th Century. Please upload a calendar, open your eyes, open your mind and realize this is the 21st Century.

We do agree that there are significant benefits from eating healthy foods.

Have you taken the time to read the Harvard webpage? Yes, that will take a lot of time so here's a brief synopsis:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?_r=0

Genetics is another massive influence on weight gain, however, at this point, that's beyond our control.

Here's another article relating to gene therapy and CRISPR, a 21st Century technology that also contradicts your calories in/calories out dogma:

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2015/09/01/flipping-a-genetic-switch-on-obesity/

I share your disgust with the massive amount of misinformation and quick solutions to weight loss. Once again, look at the research and its source and then make informed decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: shafu
I cannot argue with that basic premise, however the latest research strongly suggests that there are other factors that are in play.

One of the most important is the makeup of gut bacteria, of which yogurt with live culture is a positive contributor.

A person with healthy gut bacteria has been shown to lose weight, while someone with unhealthy gut bacteria gains weight given similar caloric intake and exercise level.

Reactions: Wwanderer and MikeH
I cannot argue with that basic premise, however the latest research strongly suggests that there are other factors that are in play.

One of the most important is the makeup of gut bacteria, of which yogurt with live culture is a positive contributor.

A person with healthy gut bacteria has been shown to lose weight, while someone with unhealthy gut bacteria gains weight given similar caloric intake and exercise level.

Curaçao, you are an intelligent man. That's more than obvious.

However, you appear to be looking at this with a mathematical mind. The human animal is much more complex than a set of formulas.

We have to look at the psychological factors, as well.

The original poster has the notion that the key to his weight loss lies in changing his diet. On an important level, he is correct, however he has several common misconceptions.

For example, he mentions eating salads and working out. Unless he includes healthy fats, as I mentioned earlier, he is going to feel hungry sooner, thus the factor of satiety.

Additionally, the typical Western diet, concentrating strongly on processed foods, causes quick conversions to sugar.

By switching to whole grains and fibers, the digestive process takes longer. He does not feel the urge to replenish his food supply as quickly.

Research also indicates that junk food is addictive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21999689

The junk food addictive loses control of caloric intake, remaining on a cycle further leading to weight gain.

So yes, you are correct in that reducing caloric intake results in weight loss. At the same time, a multitude of factors also must being taken in consideration for a successful weight loss program.

Last edited:
The research on satiety is complicated and contradictory, and satiety itself is not related only to healthy fats.

You correctly point out that there are some complicating factors around weight loss, but the one thing that has been proven to be true, repeatedly, in any studies that have taken place in metabolic wards, is that to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. If you are in a calorie deficit you WILL get hungry, and no amount of healthy fats is going to prevent that, so eating healthy fats will not suffice on its own as a coping strategy. That's why in my original post I (think, can't be bothered to go back and read it) I pointed out that if you want to lose weight you will need to come up with your own coping strategy. And then when you have reached your desired weight you can switch to a healthier diet that will make your new weight/body composition sustainable.

So I stand by my advice that if you want to lose weight you just need to eat fewer calories. Everything else follows from that, and anything else is an overcomplication (and has the potential to derail actual weight loss - eg. those people who think going paleo is going to make them skinny and then they stuff their faces with a day's worth of calories in coconut oil and nuts in a single sitting, or people who think that taking their burger out of the bun is going to save them from carbs before loading up on a bunch of fried foods that takes them over their calorie limit etc.).

The research on satiety is complicated and contradictory, and satiety itself is not related only to healthy fats.

You correctly point out that there are some complicating factors around weight loss, but the one thing that has been proven to be true, repeatedly, in any studies that have taken place in metabolic wards, is that to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. If you are in a calorie deficit you WILL get hungry, and no amount of healthy fats is going to prevent that, so eating healthy fats will not suffice on its own as a coping strategy. That's why in my original post I (think, can't be bothered to go back and read it) I pointed out that if you want to lose weight you will need to come up with your own coping strategy. And then when you have reached your desired weight you can switch to a healthier diet that will make your new weight/body composition sustainable.

So I stand by my advice that if you want to lose weight you just need to eat fewer calories. Everything else follows from that, and anything else is an overcomplication (and has the potential to derail actual weight loss - eg. those people who think going paleo is going to make them skinny and then they stuff their faces with a day's worth of calories in coconut oil and nuts in a single sitting, or people who think that taking their burger out of the bun is going to save them from carbs before loading up on a bunch of fried foods that takes them over their calorie limit etc.).

We agree on so much. You are correct that it takes willpower. The problem is that these poor souls need more than logic to stick to a workable weight loss plan

I've written about the other factors regarding satiety.

Your seemingly heartless approach does very little to address the very real psychological side of weight loss/gain.

However, I am done arguing with you. There's no point in doing so.

Cheers!

I'm sorry if it seems heartless, but I think it is more unkind to offer false hope. Weight loss is hard, both mentally and physically. But it is worth it for many people and the only way to do it that has been proven in the metabolic wards is to achieve a calorie deficit. There are many different strategies for doing that in a sustainable way, and I would advise the original the poster to try to find one that works best for him.

As I wrote earlier, we agree on so much and I am going to leave it at that.

6 years ago I did Kendo in a very traditional style dojo. None of competition like training. I lost around 20~25 kgs and ate like a beast. Lots of bruises and blisters in hands and foot too. It was a very good way to blow steam, hitting a person with a stick while screaming like a madman.

6 years ago I did Kendo in a very traditional style dojo. None of competition like training. I lost around 20~25 kgs and ate like a beast. Lots of bruises and blisters in hands and foot too. It was a very good way to blow steam, hitting a person with a stick while screaming like a madman.

Good for you!

I have found in riding longer rides on my road bike, my appetite also increased, so my weight remained rather stable. However, fat turned to muscle, resulting in a more healthy body.

God damn it's hard.

Started doing a little bit of diet and light exercise lately. Replaced my usual dinners with a salad, and started hitting the treadmill in my apartment's fitness room. Haven't looked at a scale yet, as I prefer to measure my weight by how my pants fit XD

Anyway, anybody have any little tricks they have to keep from snacking and keeping on track with fitness stuff? While I want to lose some weight, I seriously have very little motivation.

Blah

/rant

As a personal trainer and someone who has lost over 27kg myself and kept it off for over 4 years so far.

Diet:
Yes caring about calories is helpful, but no, all calories are not equal. I can guarantee you 100 calories of almonds or fish is not the same as 100 calories of chocolate. Your body will react differently and store fat/utilise energy differently.

-Getting rid of sugars out of your diet and portion control has been what I found to be most effective. (Watch the documentary FedUp or Sugar Film for some extra motivation)

-Cut out dairy (especially cheese!). People will always say how milk "gives you calcium" or whatever. But from personal trial and research, it's unneeded and more detrimental than useful. If you want calcium, eat brocoli or spinach. It's difficult but you will lose body fat by doing this.

-Fibrous carbs, green vegetables, brown rice, oats. Lots of protein (avoid pork). Fatty foods such as olive oil (uncooked on salad), fish, avocados, eggs and nuts.
It was easier for me to not be hungry and binge by eating every few hours.

Training:
Depends on the body type but high tempo, high intensity weight training works. It will give you great shape, boost your metabolism and make you stronger. More muscle = higher caloric need
High intensity interval training (HIIT) great for fitness and boosting metabolism.
Avoid strictly running/distance steady Oce training. Yes it will boost your fitness, but you will not get the same metabolic boost.

Once again, this is from my opinion, research and experience.
If you have questions you can message me.

As a personal trainer and someone who has lost over 27kg myself and kept it off for over 4 years so far.

Diet:
Yes caring about calories is helpful, but no, all calories are not equal. I can guarantee you 100 calories of almonds or fish is not the same as 100 calories of chocolate. Your body will react differently and store fat/utilise energy differently.

-Getting rid of sugars out of your diet and portion control has been what I found to be most effective. (Watch the documentary FedUp or Sugar Film for some extra motivation)

-Cut out dairy (especially cheese!). People will always say how milk "gives you calcium" or whatever. But from personal trial and research, it's unneeded and more detrimental than useful. If you want calcium, eat brocoli or spinach. It's difficult but you will lose body fat by doing this.

-Fibrous carbs, green vegetables, brown rice, oats. Lots of protein (avoid pork). Fatty foods such as olive oil (uncooked on salad), fish, avocados, eggs and nuts.

Training:
Depends on the body type but high tempo, high intensity weight training works. It will give you great shape, boost your metabolism and make you stronger. More muscle = higher caloric need
High intensity interval training (HIIT) great for fitness and boosting metabolism.
Avoid strictly running/distance steady Oce training. Yes it will boost your fitness, but you will not get the same metabolic boost.

Great advice Nicklolzzz!

Sounds like we read the same research.

I would only disagree on the dairy, as the research indicates live culture yogurt as beneficial. In that regards, the danger is that commercial yogurt often has added sugar and additives. That's why I make my own yogurt. Caspian Sea yogurt is easy to make, requiring only glass jars for the culture and yogurt, itself.

What is your take on enhancing beneficial gut bacteria?

[
Great advice Nicklolzzz!

I would only disagree on the dairy, as the research indicates live culture yogurt as beneficial. In that regards, the danger is that commercial yogurt often has added sugar and additives. That's why I make my own yogurt. Caspian Sea yogurt is easy to make, requiring only glass jars for the culture and yogurt, itself.

I find the yoghurt section of the supermarket here pretty confusing. If you weren't making your own, do you ( or anyone) have a recommendation for a healthy yoghurt or yoghurt drink? Tried a variety of probiotic yoghurts and drinks -- but not sure exactly what I eating/drinking.

Diet:

Training:

Good stuff.

If you were looking to drop weight quickly - would you recommend dropping bread, brown rice, oats ( oatmeal/porridge?). I am a bread lover -- finding it tough to let go on my current tough diet. Oatmeal for breakfast would be another improvement to my current diet.

Have to second the mighty avocado. Great fuel!

[

I find the yoghurt section of the supermarket here pretty confusing. If you weren't making your own, do you ( or anyone) have a recommendation for a healthy yoghurt or yoghurt drink? Tried a variety of probiotic yoghurts and drinks -- but not sure exactly what I eating/drinking.

Good stuff.

If you were looking to drop weight quickly - would you recommend dropping bread, brown rice, oats ( oatmeal/porridge?). I am a bread lover -- finding it tough to let go on my current tough diet. Oatmeal for breakfast would be another improvement to my current diet.

Namae,

As for the yogurt, since I make my own, not sure. Find a friend who can read Kanji and look at the ingredients. I believe there are many Japanese yogurts that will meet your criteria. Better yet, Caspian Sea yogurt starter is available in lots of stores. You do not need a yogurt maker, nor need to boil the milk. Google how to make and get started. It's not so thick, but if that's what you want, then strain. When I do so, it has an intense flavor like cream cheese.

Eat only whole grain bakery products and brown rice. The carbohydrate BS is a myth, except for the evils of refined grains.

Oars are great and I use for my healthy muffins. Search my username on TAG and muffins for my recipe-so delicious and healthy. Muffin and yogurt with fruit is my mainstay breakfast.

Reactions: namae
Great advice Nicklolzzz!

I am 50/50 on yogurt, I'm sure it can have health benefits if it is 'live culture yogurt' but it can be difficult to find and my main issue is the lactose. It gets digested as a sugar and can affect weight loss. It also depends on the persons tolerance levels, but it seems a majority of the population are intolerant to some degree without knowing. It's good to trial abstaining from dairy for a month to see how your body reacts.
As I said, I have a little bit of Greek yogurt sometimes.

[

Good stuff.

I love bread, seriously love it. But the truth is that most of it has hidden sugars in it and has little fibre. If you can find a natural light rye bread it's great for toast with avo and egg as a breakfast meal. For the most part I avoid it if I don't know that it's natural. (a treat is okay though)

Take a look at iHerb's online store. You can make an order of certain groceries and supplements and it's cheaper than buying in Japan (+it's in English).

I buy steel cut oats and slow cook them and store it in the fridge for the week ahead.
Cooked with cinnamon and nutmeg, smashed banana, a diced apple, some vanilla. It works a treat for getting the energy you need in the morning and the fibre your body needs (great poos).

I am 50/50 on yogurt, I'm sure it can have health benefits if it is 'live culture yogurt' but it can be difficult to find and my main issue is the lactose. It gets digested as a sugar and can affect weight loss. It also depends on the persons tolerance levels, but it seems a majority of the population are intolerant to some degree without knowing. It's good to trial abstaining from dairy for a month to see how your body reacts.
As I said, I have a little bit of Greek yogurt sometimes.

I love bread, seriously love it. But the truth is that most of it has hidden sugars in it and has little fibre. If you can find a natural light rye bread it's great for toast with avo and egg as a breakfast meal. For the most part I avoid it if I don't know that it's natural. (a treat is okay though)

Take a look at iHerb's online store. You can make an order of certain groceries and supplements and it's cheaper than buying in Japan (+it's in English).

I buy steel cut oats and slow cook them and store it in the fridge for the week ahead.
Cooked with cinnamon and nutmeg, smashed banana, a diced apple, some vanilla. It works a treat for getting the energy you need in the morning and the fibre your body needs (great poos).

Right on with iHerb, especially with the free shipping with orders over $40. Another fantastic source is www.vitacost..com. The have a much more extensive selection and orders over $100 qualify for super cheap shipping, no matter how much the weight.

Now I am not positive about this, but I believe the lactose is transformed by the bacterial process as the yogurt is digested by them. TAG scientists, please weigh in on this.

As for bread, when I have time, I order whole grains from Vitacost and bake my own, using a natural sourdough starter stored in my refrigerator. I am fortunate enough to own a professional baking oven, complete with steaming ability for a great crust.

you guys have it all wrong :finger:

The key to losing weight is having as much SEX as possible.

Try missionary position standing while lifting her butt with your hand;
Try dogging style standing while lifting her legs in front of the mirror.

You will definitely lose 5kg-10kg within 1 month :D

Don't forget to drink water
Limit your carbs (maximum 150g/day)
Eat more Protein (minimum 100g / day)
Walk 15,000 steps a day
Exercise more
Have more physical sex

Add a bit more on the nutrition side and you're on to something. As long as you work up to the aerobic level, the choice of exercise is optional,

Isn't liking the weight you're at the quickest and easiest way to get to the weight you like? :D

-Ww

Reactions: MikeH
As a diet expert myself :D To lose weight you need a negative energy balance! In the end it is about the calories. Those who say not every calorie is equal etc., well you're eating mixed meals with all kinds of foods anyway so it's not really relevant. Just look at your weekly total number of calories.

I would suggest first to determine how many calories you need to eat and then track your calories, weight and body fat. Weighing yourself daily is a good trick.

Reactions: Curacao
As a diet expert myself :D To lose weight you need a negative energy balance! In the end it is about the calories. Those who say not every calorie is equal etc., well you're eating mixed meals with all kinds of foods anyway so it's not really relevant. Just look at your weekly total number of calories.

I would suggest first to determine how many calories you need to eat and then track your calories, weight and body fat. Weighing yourself daily is a good trick.

I don't mean to beat this topic to death, but I just watched a video by a doctor that supports the assertions I made. It turns out I forgot to mention the effect of a good night's rest on weight loss/gain.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-changers-healthy-diet_us_57864589e4b0867123defe08

Reactions: scorpioni6ths
Ok, it's been a while since I checked in. Things are not going well at the moment, but meh, nothing goes perfectly all the time!

Diet- I've been really good about doing my salads for dinner. Enjoying them a lot, and not really snacking afterwards. Breakfast and lunch still have much to change, but I'll get there.

Exercise- Still hitting the treadmill 2-3 times a week. It's REALLY hard now that the summer heat/humidity is here because just walking home drains all my energy. Many days I really don't want to go workout after I've sweated my ass off just to walk home, but I'm keeping with the 2-3 /week. Walk for about 2 mins, then jog as much as I can, which right now is about 3 mins before my knees/ankles/shins feel like exploding. Then I spend the next 10 mins at 3.1mph/ 5kmph slowly increasing the incline to 10%, keep it there for a few minutes, then slowly decreasing it, back to 0% for the last two minutes of my cooldown walk.

Sleep- I need more. Dear god do I. My sleep apnea isn't helping at all, but whatever. I'm trying to get 6+ a night, but it's hard. Regardless of whether I go to bed at 8pm or 12am, I'm waking up a lot during the night, which throws away what little rest I managed to get. The last couple weeks I don't even hear my alarms. I just sleep straight through them. Luckily I don't really have a 'set' time to be at work. Trying to cut out electronics earlier and switch over to reading for a bit before sleep.

Other physical health- Went to the doctor the other day for an eye problem. Thought I had some kind of infection, turns out it was just a stye (gland blockage in your eyelid). Blood pressure was 105/70, which is super freaking awesome according to the doctor, so we're keeping my meds at the same level for now. Hopefully can reduce the med dosages once I lose weight. Weight.....not good. Looks like I actually gained a bit. Now tipping the scales at 127kg/280lbs. Meh, ups and downs. Maybe next time I decide to weight myself I'll be down a few. Hopefully.....

Mental health- mediocre at best. Lots of stress from work/life events that have been weighing on me for a long time. I finally called my company's EAP (Employee Assistance Program) to try and find a counselor/doctor/whatever to talk to. Hopefully they'll actually get back to me. If not, I'll probably head to the doctor's office at work for help.

So overall, not much has changed. My diet got a tiny bit better, as did my exercise. But unfortunately, no change in weight for now. Looking forward to seeing those numbers go down......

Hang in there!

It sounds like you are getting healthier and taking lots of good steps towards your goal. You've identified obstacles and are meeting them head on.

Ganbatte!!!

Logo.png

tumblr_o973gjsWsT1qzomoco1_r1_500.gif