Guest viewing is limited

What Do You Do To Stay In Shape?

Unfortunately not much, I do live near one if the beaches and I'm thinking about sea kayak of stand up paddeboarding since the weather is warming up!

For me. It's all about calories in and calories out. I am getting older so my metabolism isn't as fast as it used to be. Combo of diet, cardio and strength trying. One in itself won't suffice. Consistency is key.

Reactions: User#6326
I've been running and that has helped me lose extra weight. Also trying to eat as healthy as possible..

Two things that most people already mentioned here: eat healthy and work out. Going to the gym three times a week, mostly before picking up my son from the kindergarten, so I don't have time for more than 30 minutes. Recently I added some push-ups at home, where my son would jump on my back, adding 15kg. Cannot do more than just a few then :) sometimes I go on my bike for a 30km round trip to chigasaki and back.
Eating healthy: try to stick to that at work as well, always prepare my own meal. Green faces: vegetable and meat. Nuts, yogurt, dry fruits for a snack. I still have some sweets once in a while and overall I eat too much in volume. Annual health check coming up soon and I am probably still fat - for them. Need to do more cardio to actually burn more body fat.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Currently, Ice hockey a few times a week, weight training a few times a week and walking around.
If it's winter I like to ski.
In the past I've done cycling and different forms of rugby.

Before I moved to Japan I did Krav Maga and weight training, now I'm just a fluffy animal that's good for hugs. I thought about doing HEMA when I'm in Germany but I'll see.

Ohhh , HEMA sounds nice!
I wanted to practice Bartitsu sometime, but I'm not sure I'm made for those things...

Reactions: TheWhiteBear
Ohhh , HEMA sounds nice!
I wanted to practice Bartitsu sometime, but I'm not sure I'm made for those things...
I would be surprised if you can even find a place that teaches Barititsu, you could try Krav Maga, it's about the same concept. When I did Krav Maga in the States it just so happened that the instructor also knew HEMA, so he mixed it into the lessons. HEMA is fun :)

Reactions: User#6541

Thanks! Seeing the few number of pools open year round and the prices make me feel lucky that my nearest local pool is a 10 minute drive away and for $4 I can swim and gym all day.

Reactions: roots reggae
I'm blessed with a body that can eat anything and hardly gain weight ....
Sports? To be honest i hate it ...

Lots of women (especially the Japanese) think that sport is only for losing weight and making muscles.

Nope, sport is also mostly useful for preventing a lot of diseases.

It has been proven for example that women who didn't do sports in their young age are more prone to get breast cancers in their adulthood.

Indeed, sports prevent a lot of cancers, make your heart stronger (heart diseases among women are also very underestimated by women).

Having lost a girlfriend to Cancer, I've chosen to stop dating women who don't regularily exercise.
Another of my ex GF had a mastectomy this year (she never had sport in her whole life).

My current girlfriend was a gymnast in her childhood during ten years and we run together once a week.

On my side, part from jogging, I do a lot of intensive frisbee playing (recruiting partners if you guys are interested), tennis table. Did a lot of cycling for years back in France but I have to move to a different apartment if I want to buy a bike here in Japan (don't trust outdoor parkings).

If I don't do these things, my job (IT related) is going to kill me softly.

Anyway girls, please EXERCISE FOR YOUR HEALTH.

Last edited:
majimekun is right. Exercise should be something that everybody can do and should do. Same goes for eating healthy I would say. With working and taking care of my family, I simply have to be in good condition. In case something happens, your body is better prepared by doing these two things. I walk 2km to and back from the train station each day some people tell me they could never do so much sport, whereas I don't consider that exercise, it is the absolutely minimum that one should do. I would also suggest a bit of weight training, to prevent back, knee and whatever problems when you are getting older.

I have an active lifestyle and walk a lot, and breast cancer doesn't run in my family.
Sure, sitting behind a desk isn't healthy, but too intense workout aren't either.
To me, moving is key, not playing sports.

I have an active lifestyle and walk a lot, and breast cancer doesn't run in my family.
Sure, sitting behind a desk isn't healthy, but too intense workout aren't either.
To me, moving is key, not playing sports.

Sorry but just "moving" isn't enough.

Only sport (versus just moving) can trigger the protective mechanisms.

I'm walking naturally over 4km a day and noticed that is not making a big change if at all. Since I added real workout into my daily life I definitely notice changes in my body. I feel much more active, energetic and the non existent flexibility is coming back. Doing some home stretching every evening before going to bed is also very relaxing :)

There are quite some theories about intensive exercize actually being UNhealthy and comming back to you at a later age. Same with eating a lot of protein. Those things may make people feel fit at first but burn them up in the long run.

Reactions: Wwanderer
I only live once ... I am not even certain if I will reach 70.
I try to make a better version of me **now** by keeping fit.

FWIW, I try to achieve a daily protein intake of 69++ grams (1 gram per 1 kg of bodyweight) for 3 months now. Eggs, beef, chicken, protein shake. If I burn up ... it'll probably due to protein farts :) So I try to stay away from open flames when I fart.