What exactly counts as gaijin busting?

SealedTears

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have an upcoming trip to Japan and there are a couple of places I'm interested in, but they have a nasty gaijin tax. I want to get a second opinion is considered gaijin busting vs what the general accepted way of doing things is here. Here are a couple of levels of gaijin busting that I thought up:

0: Tell the tencho that you're a foreigner and ask if the one you want is available and accepts foreigners/contacting a provider directly, telling her you're a foreigner, and having her make the reservation for you

1: You contact a provider or her profile says she's okay with foreigners. You do a walk-in or make a reservation, choosing her

2: Ask the tencho who is available and choose from the lot that he gives you (not telling him that you're a foreigner, but he would be able to figure it out anyway and will probably ask you some questions to gauge your Japanese ability)

3: Use minimal Japanese and pointing with the tencho and be completely silent with the provider during play so she doesn't catch on

In my last trip, I've only used level 0, but also technically level 1, though that was from asking a recommendation from a gaijin dame provider. I'd rather not pay a nasty gaijin tax, but also don't want to be a complete asshole by attempting to barge in with a completely unknown provider. If the store has a gaijin tax, but you don't want to pay for it, I would think the best way of doing level 1 would be not making a reservation and attempting to bargain or get away with it (not sure if the latter is "okay" or not though... especially since it is "technically" taking money away from her)

Would like some second opinions and other levels of gaijin busting if anybody has any

Edit: the area I'm trying to monger at is Hokkaido, not Tokyo. 99% of the reviews here have gaijin tax and even an extra first time gaijin tax just to fuck with people

Last edited:
I don't even understand what mental gymnastics you try to do here.

Just contact the provider and/or the shop, tell them about your ethnicity and book via their preferred method. If it's a soap usually via girl, if it's a health shop via staff.

There is no way to dodge gaijin tax through a secret method if you don't look Japanese and speak without accent. Maybe as a repeat customer, but not if you are new to a shop.

3: Use minimal Japanese and pointing with the tencho and be completely silent with the provider during play so she doesn't catch on

This sounds like peak autism....this is the best way to make sure the girl thinks you are a complete psycho. WTF 🤯

This sounds like peak autism....this is the best way to make sure the girl thinks you are a complete psycho. WTF 🤯
That’s obviously not what I plan on doing, but something I’ve seen people here say they’ve attempted and got blasted by it

There is no way to dodge gaijin tax through a secret method if you don't look Japanese and speak without accent. Maybe as a repeat customer, but not if you are new to a shop.
But yes, this is what I was mostly trying to fish for

Last edited:
Gaijin busting? Jan Jan's specialty.

OOOOH you meant gaijin smashing. Never mind.

I have an upcoming trip to Japan and there are a couple of places I'm interested in, but they have a nasty gaijin tax. I want to get a second opinion is considered gaijin busting vs what the general accepted way of doing things is here. Here are a couple of levels of gaijin busting that I thought up:

0: Tell the tencho that you're a foreigner and ask if the one you want is available and accepts foreigners/contacting a provider directly, telling her you're a foreigner, and having her make the reservation for you

1: You contact a provider or her profile says she's okay with foreigners. You do a walk-in or make a reservation, choosing her

2: Ask the tencho who is available and choose from the lot that he gives you (not telling him that you're a foreigner, but he would be able to figure it out anyway and will probably ask you some questions to gauge your Japanese ability)
None of that is gaijin smashing and "Level 2" is just Level 0 but you don't verbalize the obvious as soon as you open your mouth, or even as soon as your shadow creeps into the main entrance depending on who we're talking about here. That's just the way things are expected to be done, I'm confused by what you're trying to convey in this thread.

Now this is as terrible as the idea of pretending you're a mute on a shop you already visited and spoke in, like some dude here on TAG did. LOL.

In my last trip, I've only used level 0, but also technically level 1, though that was from asking a recommendation from a gaijin dame provider.
That doesn't sound lilke "Level 1" to me and thats also a normal interaction you'd have with someone.

I would think the best way of doing level 1 would be not making a reservation and attempting to bargain or get away with it (not sure if the latter is "okay" or not though... especially since it is "technically" taking money away from her)
So this all boils down to asking if insisting on not paying gaijin tax on a walk-in is OK or not? I really don't understand what point you actually want to get to.

So this all boils down to asking if insisting on not paying gaijin tax on a walk-in is OK or not? I really don't understand what point you actually want to get to.
Yeah, essentially this or trying to get around it, but yeah, doesn't look good no matter how you slice it

I don't get it. Levels 0-2 are just the normal ways to access/arrange providers. If there's a gaijin tax, you're going to pay it regardless of how you arrange.

Level 3 just makes you look like you're on the spectrum, and will give foreigners a worse name in an industry where access can already be challenging.

You should probably follow Level 4: stay home.

Level five is the best: don't use shops that base the fees on your skin colour or nationality.
If I have to pay 10k+ extra, I might as well use my hand and go get some post wank sushi and still have money leftover

Last edited:
You probably can't completely get around gaijin tax, and trying to hide the fact that you're gaijin is not the way to do this, but trying to negotiate price is not necessarily a bad idea.

One time in Fukuoka I chatted up a DH service and they quoted me an unreasonably inflated price. I asked about it as it was way more than the site was advertising and they said it was gaijin tax, but they were willing to bring it down to something slightly more reasonable since I asked.

Reactions: Alice
Yeah…don’t hide your gaijinity.

There are thousands of shops in Tokyo alone—why insist on going to the singular places where you are not wanted?

Bad strategies all around here.

gaijin busting
That's not a term. The term is "gaijin smash", based off an old blog of the same name. And it doesn't refer to trying to fly under the radar....

1708648484558.png

That's where it's rooted - acting like a big dumb oaf and "smashing" your way past Japanese societal norms.

This is probably one of the stupidest things I've seen written on this board, right up there with the other guy that tries to pretend he's deaf.

Don't try to game the system. If they hit you with gaijin tax, just say no thanks, and find another place to go.

There are thousands of shops in Tokyo alone—why insist on going to the singular places where you are not wanted?
That's the thing, it's not Tokyo, but Susukino. In preparation, I have contacted several providers I'm interested in from different stores. I haven't been flat out told "no" yet, but the 10k gaijin tax is basically one.

Obviously I should be focusing on enjoying the ramen and seafood over there though

This is probably one of the stupidest things I've seen written on this board, right up there with the other guy that tries to pretend he's deaf.
The exact same method used by other punter to get into Eikokuya, Talent(both in Yokohama) and Utage(Kawasaki) soaplands. All really cheap not gaijin friendly shops.

Hey they're not meant to discriminate against deaf people right? I'm assuming you look Japanese and you can read and write Japanese?
Learn a bit of sign language and deaf people mannerisms (grunts and other noises etc). Let us know how it goes with the Gaijin smashing 😂

The exact same method used by other punter to get into Eikokuya, Talent(both in Yokohama) and Utage(Kawasaki) soaplands. All really cheap not gaijin friendly shops.
Yep, and sooner or later they get caught at it, and then the fun begins.

Yep, and sooner or later they get caught at it, and then the fun begins.
Utage is basically in viewing distance from this little office, notice that streetview is censored around that building. Got a live streetview myself the other month, suffice to say I didn't ask the guys in front of the building for a smoke.

Inagawakai(稲川会) also has an office just minutes from Minamicho soap land area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alice and Sudsy
I've been told at a shop that the extra went to the provider as a thank you for seeing foreigners. I generally don't mind a 5000 yen upcharge if it's truly an incentive to what would otherwise be unwelcoming shops.

Reactions: hanito and Alice
I've been told at a shop that the extra went to the provider as a thank you for seeing foreigners. I generally don't mind a 5000 yen upcharge if it's truly an incentive to what would otherwise be unwelcoming shops.

If it is a small incentive just for the provider it is ok, but I think that is the exception.

There is a trend that more and more shops charge higher and higher rates for foreigners. For sure they don't do it so they can offer higher incentives for their girls. The shops do it because a big chunk ends up in their pocket.

I would just stay away from shops with gaijin tax to avoid moral dilemma.

or use it occasionally. janjan charge 33% gaijin tax but still feel reasonable.

I might pay 10k gaijin price for 50k above base price for providers that got really good reviews here like alice, moe or hinami.

Or u know? Go to a shop that is reviewed and is known to have no gaijin tax?
The area I'm trying to monger at is Hokkaido, not Tokyo. 99% of the reviews here have gaijin tax and even an extra first time gaijin tax just to fuck with people. The only one I could find was for an esute, so probably better for me to just quit and enjoy Sapporo ramen

Picture this: Instead of pouring hours into research and online banter, why not channel that energy into boosting your bank account?
Then, you can splurge on your dream Kabukicho companion and make your fantasies a reality. ;)

I would just stay away from shops with gaijin tax to avoid moral dilemma.

dunno... I had a moral dilemma once when I went to a SL without a gaijin tax and the provider confided in me that she finds foreigners to be rough and didn't feel safe. She said the shop forces her to see foreigners against her wishes and she was looking for another place.
I won't go to that particular shop anymore is my moral dilemma.