What is a Girls Bar?

User#18046

TAG Member
Reaction score
I hate to create a whole new thread about this, but I've been wondering for a long time. What is a "girls bar"? They do not seem foreaigner friendly, but they don't also look like places that would involve sex. Are they just hostess bars, what we might call "buy me a drink" bars? I've been in Japan a long time, but the seem to have sprung up like crazy in the last few years.

Wow! A girls bar is a bar with girls in it. Usually you pay an hourly fee and a girl or girls will talk and drink with you. At some point you divulge your CC or D.C. PIN number. After getting wasted to the point of passing out, someone will swipe your CC and drain your BACCT. You will most likely get no sex and have to listen to a really hot ditzy type of girl, but you never know, you also might get some extras if the girl takes to you. Really, this is a cheaper version of a hostess club unless your CC is swiped and ¥600,000 is charged discreetly.

Last edited:
Girls Bars

Girls Bars are Japanese bars that cater to male patrons by hiring cute Japanese girls as bartenders. Men who come into the bar to drink must pay a fee to chat with the female bartenders. Girls bars became an increasingly popular part of the Japanese nightlife scene in 2006 and 2007. They are considered a direct competitor to the very popular Japanese hostess clubs.

Tokyoand other cities. Some Japanese men say that they prefer talking to a regular girl, rather than a professional hostess - and that the atmosphere of the girls bars is more friendly.
  • Because of changing laws in Tokyo, as part of governor Shintaro Ishihara's crackdown on nightlife, many hostess clubs are forced to shut down at midnight. However, girls bars are allowed to stay open all night like Hostess Clubs.

Wow! A girls bar is a bar with girls in it. Usually you pay an hourly fee and a girl or girls will talk and drink with you. At some point you divulge your CC or D.C. PIN number. After getting wasted to the point of passing out, someone will swipe your CC and drain your BACCT. You will most likely get no sex and have to listen to a really hot ditzy type of girl, but you never know, you also might get some extras if the girl takes to you. Really, this is a cheaper version of a hostess club unless your CC is swiped and ¥600,000 is charged discreetly.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought they were.

Funny thing, when i first got to Japan and saw all the "girls bars" i thought they were lesbian bars.
I would have been inclined to think they were ladies only bars, like the special train cars, to give girls a place to get away from men, except the posters all obviously cater to men.

I second that they are usually more fun and much cheaper than hostess bars (when they are legit of course, not a "bottakuri" place)

Reactions: Not Even Dave
I have worked at girls bar and can tell you Partylyk1999 gave you the corre t answer. However these girls like anyone working night are just in it for the money so dont get the wrong idea when they say they like you etc. Sex is also a big no no ..in a lot of girls bars you can get fired for just exchanging contact info with customers.