When that one song comes up on your playlist!

Do not know this version. She still looks great.

I totally didn't realize this wasn't the original version! Utter posting fail.. Here we go, quintessential 80's

Ohhhh that brings back a lot of memories..... lol I remember seeing this on "Night Tracks" so long ago.... Late night TV - Night Tracks, Black Belt Theater, and Elvira's Movie Macabre... ;-)

thats okay, as long as you heard about ghengis khan, before you came to japan...
when someone wants to force me to sing it, i always pretend that song never happened...
like 15 years ago, there was one restaurant in asakusa, that played only that one song all day (at least that was the only song you could hear from the speakers in front of the building)...

nena is equally awful, when i got to sing it i only do the english version... if i really got to sing something in german its actually falco (and only one of his songs)...
there are a few good german bands though... but only a handful are actually singing in german....

Reactions: Exnocomment
Another German group from that era that was apparently popular in Japan (and Korea) is Arabesque. However, they sang in English.

One of their hits was called "Hello Mr. Monkey." I kid you not.

Oh my god. This is amazing.. Those violin riffs! And those outfits..
HELLO HELLO MR. MONKEY! ..You should have been a clown?

And since we're going further down this 80's German nostalgia world and you've introduced me to Dschinghis Khan (And violin riffs!):

Last edited:
Reactions: SugoiBoy
Apparently Dschingis Khan has been used for school sports in Japan. That's why it is so well known among Japanese. At least that's what I have been told.

I know that Dschingis Khan's Moskau was revived in Japan by a spoof video of "misheard lyrics" about 10 years ago.

The best known and the most popular German pop group in Japan over the 70s and the 80s was definitely Kraftwerk though.

Was in oki driving in a HUMVEE with my driver and he had a loud ass Boom box, this came on

We started doing yelling the lyrics at the top of our lungs with people looking at us like we are crazy. Oh it didn't stop because the next song was this (skip to 1:16)

Then we started jumping up and down in our seats. Imagine two people in Flak and Kevlar dancing, a car full of Okinawans pulled up next to us and started doing the same thing.

So to get us off the Germanophile kick.. :p

A recent forum thread title has me constantly thinking about this gem: