Guest viewing is limited

Where would you visit in Japan?

hso3736

TAG Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Japan for a few years when I was younger, and I visited all the obligatory castles temples and museums.

I have the opportunity to visit Japan for a few days - 1 week as part of another trip and I'm wondering apart from the certain visits where would you go? It seems I can fly into Osaka and Tokyo for the same price, in the past I've avoided Tokyo because of the narita travel distance.

But now I am unburdened and travelling alone, I guess I could do anything an I'm lost in the choice. Going in summer so it will be deadly hot.

I guess I don't want to spend too much on domestic travel so I'll just stick to one city.

I wanted to visit the Robot Restaurant but I read it's taken over by another place and it's no good anymore? I haven't been up to sky tree. Otherwise it's just fill my suitcase with Japanese snacks.

I've lived in Japan for a few years when I was younger, and I visited all the obligatory castles temples and museums.

I have the opportunity to visit Japan for a few days - 1 week as part of another trip and I'm wondering apart from the certain visits where would you go? It seems I can fly into Osaka and Tokyo for the same price, in the past I've avoided Tokyo because of the narita travel distance.

But now I am unburdened and travelling alone, I guess I could do anything an I'm lost in the choice. Going in summer so it will be deadly hot.

I guess I don't want to spend too much on domestic travel so I'll just stick to one city.

I wanted to visit the Robot Restaurant but I read it's taken over by another place and it's no good anymore? I haven't been up to sky tree. Otherwise it's just fill my suitcase with Japanese snacks.
If you can fly into Haneda, that’s usually better than Narita.

Lots of foreign tourists are visiting Japan these days. The weak yen is a factor.

I'd skip Sky Tree altogether. The view up there isn't really all that great compared to other viewing decks/locations, especially for the price that you pay. Although the mall in Sky Tree is pretty cool. You can probably get good photos of Sky Tree in the surrounding area.

Reactions: R3mmles
Give us some hobbies you have and you're bound to get awesome recommendations you wouldn't get anywhere else.

With such a generic thread the only thing we can do is tell you to download a Lonely Planet guide, and to hit the soaps and delis 😁

Reactions: Alice and ThaWeeknd
For a short visit with nothing tying you to a certain city (like a girl you want to see) then I would just go to Osaka for the few days. Can hit up the shinchis if you want to do any p4p, plenty of good food options, and has some good nearby day trip places you could visit.

But I mean Tokyo is fine too. I don't really get why people despise Narita so much, sure its farther away, but to like say Shinjuku its 1 hour on a full limo bus from Haneda vs 1.5 hours on a quiet half empty train from Narita.

Last edited:
Give us some hobbies you have and you're bound to get awesome recommendations you wouldn't get
Well I like cosplay, anime, pretty into photography, model building. I will visit akiba a bit and did the gundam factory last time. Still got unbuilt models so don't need to stock up yet.

Never did a soap so I want to try. I don't truly get the point of deli - why do that and no fs? I've done the osaka shinchi b4. I figure I can do soap twice.

Interested in seeing some festivals, haven't visited on summer for a long time. I see it's obon but not sure exact festival dates.

Short visit wo family so can't stay too long. Do all the adult stuff I couldn't do if they were here.

Reactions: Alice
Yakushima is still on my bucket list. I want to hike around and look for wild totoros

Are there any other shows or events that you'd not be able to visit with family that I can do alone this time?

wondering how to spend the hottest hours of the day.

Also just reading more, what are recommended sl apart from y 👕 that I hope to visit already for rio n ren. Are there also any with Koreans?

Last edited:
Well I like cosplay, anime, pretty into photography, model building. I will visit akiba a bit and did the gundam factory last time. Still got unbuilt models so don't need to stock up yet.

Never did a soap so I want to try. I don't truly get the point of deli - why do that and no fs? I've done the osaka shinchi b4. I figure I can do soap twice.

Interested in seeing some festivals, haven't visited on summer for a long time. I see it's obon but not sure exact festival dates.

Short visit wo family so can't stay too long. Do all the adult stuff I couldn't do if they were here.

I'm about 60-40 soap vs DH - I like DH because I vastly prefer oral to sex anyways, the GFE is usually stronger, they're open after midnight unlike soaps, and there's usually more customization of options, so you can usually find more options to indulge in various kinks like light bondage, roleplay, 聖水, blindfolding, etc. I've also narrowed my DH selection to a couple girls that I get along with pretty well by now, and have to deliberately go out of my way to leave spots in my calendar to try anyone new. Soaps are nice because they're pretty easy to arrange, full sex is fun, and mat play is addicting.

Few general questions.
Looking at accom. SL seem 10-20min walk from stations - how do you get there w/o getting all sweaty (summer)
Is it worth registering at CH for bookings, seems like there are points/coupons, but maybe lots of conditions maybe not good for the short term tourist - is X enough.
When you say dress nicely to be treated nicely, in summer what would that be? I imagined humid = t-shirt & shorts. I know salarymen can do the full suit/coat in Jp, but I can't!

I’ve heard that if you go to one of the fancier SLs, they will greet you at the station and take you to the shop. You could also get a taxi.

As for the dress code, if we’re talking dressing nicely, that means a half-sleeve dress shirt and full-length trousers. Make sure you’ve shaved and trimmed appropriately, too. You can put your t-shirt and shorts in the locker alongside other valuables you won’t take to the SL and get them after your session.

Ikebukuro is great for this imo, but it’s more focused on female otaku.

Is it worth registering at CH for bookings, seems like there are points/coupons, but maybe lots of conditions maybe not good for the short term tourist - is X enough.

I think Cityheaven is not that usefull if you are in Japan for a trip and planing to visit soaplands. Most shop will not allow you to book via CH as a foreigner if it is your first time. CH has more value for other services.

I’ve heard that if you go to one of the fancier SLs, they will greet you at the station and take you to the shop. You could also get a taxi.

As for the dress code, if we’re talking dressing nicely, that means a half-sleeve dress shirt and full-length trousers. Make sure you’ve shaved and trimmed appropriately, too. You can put your t-shirt and shorts in the locker alongside other valuables you won’t take to the SL and get them after your session.
If someone can afford to pay for a SL session, then he should be able to afford to pay to take a taxi from a nearby station.

Reactions: Alice and Jugemu
Ikebukuro is great for this imo, but it’s more focused on female otaku.
Thanks, what's the protocol re photographing people? Being there on a trip I can't really get to know someone and plan a shoot. Otoh walking up to a stranger and asking for a photo is a bit cheesy and the photo will look a bit generic like you just walked up to someone on the street.
Is there a place where I can look up things like conventions and other anime events?

Thanks, what's the protocol re photographing people? Being there on a trip I can't really get to know someone and plan a shoot. Otoh walking up to a stranger and asking for a photo is a bit cheesy and the photo will look a bit generic like you just walked up to someone on the street.
Is there a place where I can look up things like conventions and other anime events?
Not sure about how to find others, but World Cosplay Summit's a great event. It's in Nagoya. The problem is it's usually stinking hot, being at the end of July/beginning of August. Last year, it was 40+ and very humid. But there's tons of amazing cosplayers. Most of them will have a line of photographers waiting, but if not, just a quick 「すみません、写真を撮ってもいいですか?」will do. The masquerade's amazing, too.

If you're into Vocaloid, Magical Mirai's a lot of fun, too. The exhibition was smaller, and with fewer cosplayers, than I expected. But the concert was really good. Last year, the Osaka show was the weekend after WCS, and both fell during my summer break from language school. This year, though, there's a show in Fukuoka 2 weeks later, Tokyo's at the end of August, and Osaka's in October.

Reactions: hso3736
There is this park in Ikebukuro where they hold cosplay events, but I don’t have much details on when and how to enter and how it works taking photos of people you don’t know.

Curveball - ever been to Nagasaki? It's a really beautiful city. Fly into Osaka, head west, stop in Fukuoka to hit a little P4P on your way down there, and then stop at Hiroshima on the way back and make a final pitstop of atonement at the shinchis on your way out of Japan.

1714055850297.png

There is this park in Ikebukuro where they hold cosplay events, but I don’t have much details on when and how to enter and how it works taking photos of people you don’t know.
Cosplay events at Ikebukuro are usually around the area outside of Sunshine City. There's an upcoming event there in May. Usually these events have some sort of admission fees/tickets for cosplayers and professional photographers. That being said, depending on individual cases, you can probably ask people here and there if you can take a picture of them, you just have to "read the room".

Seconding the Nagasaki rec. Top 3 city in Japan for me with the best view, the best food and a great mixture of Western, Japanese and Chinese architecture due to historic influences.

Reactions: Alice
Curveball - ever been to Nagasaki? It's a really beautiful city. Fly into Osaka, head west, stop in Fukuoka to hit a little P4P on your way down there, and then stop at Hiroshima on the way back and make a final pitstop of atonement at the shinchis on your way out of Japan.

View attachment 24821
Looks great but only have under a week. Don't think I want to travel too much, just stick to Tokyo.

With so short time I think I can just do sl a few times with rest in between.

Then the rest enjoying some street photography maybe, or find something interesting.

Not sure about how to find others, but World Cosplay Summit's a great event. It's in Nagoya. The problem is it's usually stinking hot, being at the end of July/beginning of August. Last year, it was 40+ and very humid. But there's tons of amazing cosplayers. Most of them will have a line of photographers waiting, but if not, just a quick 「すみません、写真を撮ってもいいですか?」will do. The masquerade's amazing, too.

If you're into Vocaloid, Magical Mirai's a lot of fun, too. The exhibition was smaller, and with fewer cosplayers, than I expected. But the concert was really good. Last year, the Osaka show was the weekend after WCS, and both fell during my summer break from language school. This year, though, there's a show in Fukuoka 2 weeks later, Tokyo's at the end of August, and Osaka's in October.
Yes those type of event, I've seen only in anime so I want to visit s real one. Actually I've seen those lines of photographers in some j drama before. So I'm a bit scared.

Actually come to think of it, are maid cafes worth visiting? I don't think I'd get anything out of someone pretending to be my maid, or drawing faces on my omrice. Again this is from anime and j drama.