Guest viewing is limited

Withdrawing 10.000 yen bills from ATMs?

John Freedom

TAG Member
Reaction score
Heya, I've been in Japan for a week now, and the ATM in my hotel's 711 has done the trick for the lower amounts, but I noticed that there's a warning saying it only has 1000 yen bills available. I've also used a few at other locations (all 711), but they all had the same message.

Obviously that's not really preferable when withdrawing large amounts for big purchases/soaplands/etc, are there ATMs that accept Maestro that let you withdraw 10k bills? Any specific bank's ATM, perhaps?

Japan Post should do the trick for you... Look for any post office and they usually have an ATM see link below confirming Maestro

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/kojin/access/atm/kj_acs_atm_index.html
They should be able to kick out 10,000 notes for you. and finding JP should be easy as well... maybe from web link, but I didn't check.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I've never experienced this from 7/11 ATMs...
Did you try to manually put in a specific amount to withdraw that wasn't a 10k increment?

Like I said, the machine gives a warning/message at the start, saying that only 1000 yen bills are available. I'd rather not try out withdrawing a large amount if that means I'm stuck with loads of 1000 yen bills.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Like I said, the machine gives a warning/message at the start, saying that only 1000 yen bills are available. I'd rather not try out withdrawing a large amount if that means I'm stuck with loads of 1000 yen bills.

7-11 ATM -- I get 10k and 1k bills usually. I usually take out 55,000 for weekly stuff and I always get 5 10k bills and 5 1k bills... unless that machine was out of 10k bills.

Reactions: akasam and impish
Just a thought....... since the big ATM heist in Japan a year or so ago, maybe they limit to 1000 notes on foreign cards ? It's just a guess since I only use local ATM card in Tokyo..

Reactions: Muku1
Just a thought....... since the big ATM heist in Japan a year or so ago, maybe they limit to 1000 notes on foreign cards ? It's just a guess since I only use local ATM card in Tokyo..

I do not have this problem at the 7 Elevens near my house, I always get 10,000 bills nor do I have this problem in Akihabara, so maybe those machines are just out of 10000 bills? Or those specific machines were all in the area hit as you said by the heist last year.

Or those specific machines were all in the area hit as you said by the heist last year.
I can't find any documentation of that... I was doing some research but couldn't find any Japanese or English documents that specified any special limits.

http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/service2.html << Bottom of this page has some limits on certain types of cards. Note the magnetic stripe limit, that's probably new.

Reactions: impish
Could be a Maestro related issue... I only use PLUS when overseas.... limited to equivalent of $200 per withdrawal, but that's pretty standard these days... Banks want their fees...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Didn't personally have problems pulling 300 or so every couple of days when i needed it when i went. You seem to just be unlucky imho

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Japan Post should do the trick for you... Look for any post office and they usually have an ATM see link below confirming Maestro

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/kojin/access/atm/kj_acs_atm_index.html
They should be able to kick out 10,000 notes for you. and finding JP should be easy as well... maybe from web link, but I didn't check.

Tried withdrawing at the subway station from a JP ATM, looked like that worked. Didn't actually retrieve the money cause I have no need for it (yet), but I did have the option to pick the bills. Thanks :)

Whenever I need cash I have never had this problem. I have withdrew ¥100,000 every few days at local 7/11.