Guest viewing is limited

Yakuza

johnnyboy84

TAG Member
Reaction score
maybe i am touching a touchy topic but i have never had issues with yakuza. the funny thing is, a lot of yakuza in my experience tend to be very gaijin friendly while some aren't. most of my connections is through the fight world. i have been to underground fights disguised as mma events and a lot of the competitors and those in attendance were yakuza members. the funny thing is, they were very friendly to me and tried to speak to me in english. a few years ago, one guy dropped his sunglasses at the lobby of the arena and i picked it up for him in a crowded area and thought i was like the nicest guy in the world just for doing that. he went out of his way to buy me a drink. he introduced me to his gang and we just hit it off. Then he introduced me to his people. apparently this was a guy with influence and they opened me with open arms. they just asked me about my country, what i thought of japan, etc. his boss who was totally japanese og loved the fact i was into the 70s and 80s scene of japan and how much i knew about it. he told me i could have been like a king in roppongi in the 80s lol.

i still talk to that guy and i know if i have any major problems, i can go to him. the police i know are good people here but they were more likely to give me shit more than yakuza over being a resident alien.

Reactions: Jimmydr
Where I first lived in Japan was right across the street from a very small (really good - ex-New Otani chef) restaurant where some local yakuza hung out. I did not know this until I decided to go there one night. Open the sliding door and 8-9 craggy faces turned to look at me. No going back so took the one seat at the counter. Talking restarted and eventually one guy asked in Japanese, 'Where are you from?' I stood up, opened the door and pointed to my apartment. Nice icebreaker! Went sometimes and they were always polite yet gruff and open to me asking careful questions. Had a great bar hop with them one very snowy week in the mid 80s. BUT, and other Japanese businessmen I described this situation to said this, as friendly as they are, be very very careful asking them for a favour. Getting indebted to the 'cultural network' is the way things are run and if you ask for a favor, generally something is expected back in return. Just my 2 cents. They were nice guys, just worked in the shadows.

I know a few. I like to keep a nice, polite and cordial relationship. I never ask any favors. That's the slippery slope of slippery slopes.

Old thread you've opened up here.

I'm no first hand expert but it really depends on the level we are talking about. On the higher end, they are business people and can't be bothered with petty stuff - these are the ones who appear nice. The lower end guys are trouble makers and will get into arguments and fights easily. Then there are the really entry level ones who can be worse.

I have a business here and so do many of my young Japanese friends. Although I don't personally associate with them (drinking and socializing), it is almost unlikely that any Japanese business earning proper revenue would not be conmected with them in some way. They are cracking down on this with the larger tier 1 and 2 companies. These days, many corporations even have an anti gang association clause in their business terms which you have to adhere to!