Guest viewing is limited

Your Experiences With The Police In Japan

In every interaction I've ever had with Japanese police officers they have helped me or tried to help me with some minor, or in one case fairly major/medical, problem. None have ever asked to see my ID. Based on my personal experience, I'd rather interact with the Japanese police than the police in any other country where I have any experience with them.

Protip: Whenever possible avoid the police in Russia, China, Mexico and especially the US.

-Ww

I was questioned by police upon arriving in Haneda airport last year. When I was about to leave the entrance, 2 police officers asked me for my purpose of visit and how long am I going to stay in Japan, perhaps my looks that draws them to question me. :wtf:

I have been questioned at the airport too. Don't remember exactly, I was flying back from China or Thailand I think. Might even have been osaka or Fukuoka and not Tokyo.
The only nuisance was that I was quite tired from the flight. Other than that a nice polite check while they were checking my luggage and my electronic devices.
Don't think it had anything to do with race. Was just a quiet time and I'm sure they need to check a given number of passengers.

Reactions: roots reggae
I was in Osaka where I visited a ham (amateur radio) shop. While talking to the owner/proprietor in broken English/Japanese a guy came in all flush. Hanami season so he would probably been drinking. Shop owner talked to the dude for a little, made coffee and we all had coffee. After the coffee dude left. Owner whispers to me, the dude is going to work. Dude works even on Sundays. Weird for me but then he tells me ... dude was an off-duty police officer.

I've never been stopped in my 4-5 years living here. But I'm also Asian and often get spoken to in Japanese then get the surprised look when I say I don't really speak japanese, so I guess I blend pretty well. But the times i have seen the police it's been to ask for help so similar experiences as most other people here in that sense.

A friend of mine gets stopped almost daily. He's also Asian but doesn't really blend in. He often posts videos of himself getting stopped on his Facebook page. He's given the reason as its due to his cars and vanity plates that he chooses. Most of the time it seems he doesn't have any trouble just gets inconvenienced a lot because of it b

I think I've posted about this before somewhere before, but I've had limited interaction with police in Japan (or anywhere else for that matter)

I think in total:
- stopped twice while on bicycle at night, checked ID and serial number of bicycle. (which I've seen happen to many other people)
- stopped once while walking with my backpack in a shopping area; it was basically empty since I hadn't bought anything. (did not check ID, just contents of bag)
- stopped once while driving while making a left turn: This was a totally bogus stop as my right, rear tire was just touching the yellow line. I argued my way out of it and they only checked my Japanese license.

I've heard some horror stories of some people constantly being stopped for a number or reasons that were clear or not-so-clear. Since I ride a motorcycle in addition to driving a car, I heard that police can be extremely anal about motorcycle riders. I found that it's the exact opposite... There have been a number of times where I've seen drivers pulled over that had made an unsafe move. Worst one: A truck broke yellow lines at an intersection and invaded my lane, forcing me out of my lane (breaking the yellow) and in the opposing turn lane, a police officer on a motorcycle saw it and I pointed at the truck and he nodded... he did a u-turn and stopped the truck. ;)

Oh, as far as airports go... I think I was asked one time what I was doing in the arrivals area when I was there to pick-up someone whom was arriving. When I come through immigrations or customs, I've had zero issues (or even questions) when coming into Japan or leaving.

I get more flack or questions from U.S. Customs/Immigration than I do anywhere else. Almost every time... It's almost annoying enough to skip going to the states.
Getting through TSA Security Checks is actually a breeze.... that's not a real problem with me.

You have to carry an ID but not necessarily your passport.

Correct. If you're a resident here, you should have a zairyu card (在留カード), which you're supposed to carry.
Otherwise, have to carry your passport...

Just to throw my two cents in...

Been here around 12 years and fortunately my experiences with the police have been relatively few and far between.

For basic, day to day stuff (asking directions in the days before Google Maps, lost wallet, etc) they've been nothing but courteous and helpful. Japanese police really excel in this area.

I was stopped one time (that I remember) and had my ID checked. It was incredibly random - walking in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday down a street with lots of car traffic but not much foot traffic in Tokyo and not really near the station/area with lots of pedestrians. In any event it was super simple and over in a couple of minutes.

I've been stopped a couple times driving for minor things (staying in the "passing" lane on the highway for too long, etc) and the cops were always incredibly polite and almost apologetic about giving me a ticket. To the point where I wonder if maybe this is something they're trained in? I have a feeling that they probably encounter some belligerent motorists so that sort of stance probably makes things go a lot more smoothly. No complaints at all there - much, much more pleasant than getting stopped in the US.

The one time I had a slightly less than stellar experience was in a more out-of-the-ordinary situation. I was taking a walk with a girl near my apartment at around 22:00 at night - the shotengai wasn't crowded and we were just out enjoying the spring weather. A drunk-looking guy was walking in the opposite direction down the street and apparently bumped into my ladyfriend as he passed us. He was swaying pretty heavily but to be honest had to go out of his way to bump into her (the street was wide open and we weren't right in the middle). I didn't notice him bumping her at the time but did notice that something seemed a bit "off" about him as he passed us. We walked for another minute or two and I had a kind of strange feeling - looked over my shoulder and saw the guy coming back towards us a pretty good pace with his hand balled in a fist at his side.

As he came in I grabbed him in a bear hug to keep him from hitting either of us and he started going on about how I was "US military"and basically just being ignorant. No idea where he got that idea from - the area we were in has zero military presence and isn't near any kind of base, nor do I look at all like a person in the services, but whatever. I had zero interest in a fight but he wouldn't calm down and we basically ended up in a standing wrestling match. This went on for a few minutes and, stupidly, I asked the girl to go get the police. They arrived (first two and then a couple more) and basically separated us and got both of our stories. Of course the other guy said that I had started it and so we all went to the Koban. Repeat the process there (we tell our side of the story, he tells his, neither match up) and after a while we're moved to the main police station. Lather, rinse, repeat for an hour or so there and in the end they basically just wrote up a report saying that we had "bumped into each other in the middle of the street", fallen over and neither party was at fault. They also said this guy had a history of getting drunk and causing problems and this was nothing new for him.

In the end no major issues - we both just went our separate ways - but it was also kind of frustrating. I realize it was just our word against his and the cops needed to be impartial but overall it just made me realize for stuff like this there's no point in getting the police - its probably better to just figure it out on your own if at all possible - as they won't be much help.

For basic, day to day stuff (asking directions in the days before Google Maps, lost wallet, etc) they've been nothing but courteous and helpful. Japanese police really excel in this area.

They seriously do. And back in the days before GPSs took over the job of finding things, a gaijin like me merely had to walk toward a koban with a confused look on his face (I look confused most of the time since I learned about quantum mechanics) was enough to have the officer on duty pulling out a map and spreading it out in preparation to give me directions.

-Ww

Reactions: MikeH
They seriously do. And back in the days before GPSs took over the job of finding things, a gaijin like me merely had to walk toward a koban with a confused look on his face (I look confused most of the time since I learned about quantum mechanics) was enough to have the officer on duty pulling out a map and spreading it out in preparation to give me directions.

-Ww

Isn't running around and looking confused one of the premier pickup methods frequently mentioned on this board? :D

Isn't running around and looking confused one of the premier pickup methods frequently mentioned on this board? :D

Yeah, true...and I have to admit that it half works. Hot women frequently approach me asking if I need help with something. However, they *almost* never hang around after I ask them for their opinion of particle-wave duality, Bayesian inference, stochastic topology or some similar topic about which I am passionate. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. :D

-Ww

Not exactly on topic, but what the hell, I started this thread, so may deserve a little latitude.

Back in August 1999, I was in Japan less than a week and still shell-shocked by the experience. I did not know how to buy a train ticket. I did not know how to find the station of my destination. I was on my way to a reggae concert in Yokohama. Looking massively confused on the train with a map in my hand, an attractive young Japanese woman across the aisle came over to me and asked if I needed help. Her English was basic, but oh, she rescued me! She went out of her way, guiding me from one transfer station to the next, until I arrived at my destination. We exchanged email addresses and I end up giving her free English lessons for years. She, in turn, helped me navigate my way around and adjust to Japan. I spent many evenings at her home with her family.

Reactions: MamoruSpain
I've been stopped a couple times driving for minor things (staying in the "passing" lane on the highway for too long, etc)

I wondered about this... I make it a habit to travel in the middle lane (and eventually the left lane when only two lanes) since hearing about this rule. Granted, sometimes the traffic the left lane is moving at or below the posted speed limit, pushing the rest of us into the middle or right lanes anyway. I just make sure that I alternate lanes so avoid such a petty ticket.

I wondered about this... I make it a habit to travel in the middle lane (and eventually the left lane when only two lanes) since hearing about this rule. Granted, sometimes the traffic the left lane is moving at or below the posted speed limit, pushing the rest of us into the middle or right lanes anyway. I just make sure that I alternate lanes so avoid such a petty ticket.

I use the passing lanes quite a bit, but always try to return to the left as soon as possible. My strategy is to exceed the speed limit, but always make sure many others are passing me and going faster. The police use unmarked vehicles that are so difficult to spot. It really keeps me on my toes.

I've never gotten a ticket on the expressway, and only one, last year in a speed trap on my local road commute. That one cost me a Coach bag, not from the police, from my wife-about the same cost as the ticket, ¥15,000!

My strategy is to exceed the speed limit, but always make sure many others are passing me and going faster. The police use unmarked vehicles that are so difficult to spot. It really keeps me on my toes.

Yeah... The average speed is more like 120-130 and even at that speed, I'm getting passed by people doing ~140-160.

Yeah... The average speed is more like 120-130 and even at that speed, I'm getting passed by people doing ~140-160.

I love those folks!

My wife tells me the police will only stop you if you are exceeding the limit by 20K.

I've seen cars speed by marked police cars, but they were going just 10 K over the limit. Me, when I spot the police, I stay behind them!

Reactions: TAG Manager
I just found a wallet a bank ATM area (not a branch - so no staff). It seemed to contain a number of cards and cash. I took it the Police box and was only asked my name. When I have handed things in the past they have asked for my address etc... And if I would accept a reward.

If the person who claims the wallet wants to offer a reward I wonder who will get it. I had a bad feeling about the situation.

I just found a wallet a bank ATM area (not a branch - so no staff). It seemed to contain a number of cards and cash. I took it the Police box and was only asked my name. When I have handed things in the past they have asked for my address etc... And if I would accept a reward.

If the person who claims the wallet wants to offer a reward I wonder who will get it. I had a bad feeling about the situation.

They asked me the same things when I turned in the wallet I found in Hiratsuka. What I did not relate to you folks, is that the police officer also asked for my address. I am so embarrassed. I do not know my entire address by heart. I imagine the officers were a bit suspicious at that point. The next part is also embarrassing. So, I had to call my wife to get the address.

Ever since my bicycle accident in Enoshima when I woke up unconscious in a Japanese ambulance, with a dislocated shoulder and concussion, my wife had me carry a cell phone when I rode. Well, this was my son's kindergarten phone. I really did not how to use it, other than to pull the cord which sounds an alarm and automatically calls my wife's phone. So, I did that at the koban and then had to try to figure out how to turn the damn thing off. The officers had to take care if it for me. Boy, did I feel stupid-still do!

So when they asked if I wanted a reward, no!!! I just wanted to get out of there.

I have been here for around 25 years and never once been stopped and asked for my ID or searched or asked any questions. Might have to do with the part of Tokyo where I live. I don't know.

I have been stopped - and fined - for speeding and illegal parking a few times. But always in a very correct way. No complains of any kind.

I have been stopped by police man once. I was on my way to appointment at hotel Okura from Roppongi-1chome station. When I got close to the hotel, police man stoppend me and told me to detour. I guess that was the night eitehr the president Obama or some other VIP from the states was visiting Japan; FYI hotel Okura is located just behind the US embassy.
Glad he didn't ask me to open my bag....

My very first contact with police men was when I was in my early 20's, when I was a bit more wild than I am now.
They didn't talk to me but I went to talk to them at Kabuki-cho Koban.
I spent a night before with this American black guy I met through my friend's party a couple of years ago. He stole my credit card while I was sleeping... I got a call from credit card company asking if I used my credit card many times today when I was in a dressing room at a Ryotei, changing to Kimono. I never realized that my card was gone until I got a call. Luckily, one of the group of the night I was going to serve was bankers. I told one of them the story, asked him what I should do. He advised me what to do, what I should report to credit card company, what I should not tell to avoid paying his shopping bill.
I went to kabukicho Koban after work as advised, explained what happened.
Police man admitted that although the guy is very suspicious, I didn't see him actually opening my purse and stealing my credit card directly, they could not arrest him. They could accept a report of the loss so I didn't have to pay the bill at the end.
When I left the police station, he said "now you learnt your lesson. Don't stay overnight with a guy you don't know well."
Nope, I don't do overnight but do other things:)

I have been stopped by police man once. I was on my way to appointment at hotel Okura from Roppongi-1chome station.

Sadly there is a countdown to the end of Okura. Can't believe they will just tear down such an example of architecture. But they did it in Ginza as well, with the dept store that closed... (Sorry for the Off Topic)

He stole my credit card while I was sleeping... I got a call from credit card company asking if I used my credit card many times today when I was in a dressing room at a Ryotei, changing to Kimono. I never realized that my card was gone until I got a call.

That sucks, when people break the level of trust. Well nowadays it's actually as simply calling visa or MasterCard, if you lose your wallet they will actually help you cancel all the cards at once and get replacements issued immediately, can't remember if it's for all though or if you have to call each one individually (visa, mc etc, not each bank who gave you a visa or MC, etc)

I use the passing lanes quite a bit, but always try to return to the left as soon as possible. My strategy is to exceed the speed limit, but always make sure many others are passing me and going faster. The police use unmarked vehicles that are so difficult to spot. It really keeps me on my toes.

I've never gotten a ticket on the expressway, and only one, last year in a speed trap on my local road commute. That one cost me a Coach bag, not from the police, from my wife-about the same cost as the ticket, ¥15,000!

Apparently in the case where I got stopped it was because I was basically just cruising in that lane. They said I'd been in there for 1 km or so and passed a few trucks but even though I could have moved back over into the center lane I stayed on the right and, as such, they had to stop me. I think you're totally fine to use the passing lane as much as you want (within reason obviously) you just can't stay in there when there's an opening in the center or left lane.

10 years ago, I was waiting to meet my friend at Hachiko. He was coming from America and wouldn't have a cell phone. I didn't have a smartphone so I couldn't check his flight status. He turned out to be 1.5 hours late.

I was pacing around for awhile and probably looking angry. A group of 5 police eventually stopped me and asked if I had anything dangerous. I responded by handing them everything in my pockets. They were satisfied with that.