Guest viewing is limited

Gift-giving and flirting

PenFigher

TAG Member
Reaction score
Since about the time I arrived, I’ve been having fun running in Tokyo, it’s one of the few things that I actually have a commitment to (been running for about a decade, longer than any relationship I’ve ever had). When I first got here, I met a friend through a colleague (Japanese girl who also speaks French and likes running). I’ve been running with her most morning (we do 1-2 loops around 皇居). After a couple of weeks, she went on a trip and then gave me back お土産 from a trip. I thought, this is nice, food item from another city, she didn’t have to bring me anything at all. After all, running friendships don’t come with any obligations and she thought about me.

She travels a lot on day trips for work and she brings back little souvenirs, so I started doing the same thinking this was a fun thing to do (my work required frequent short trips to other cities too). It all felt really platonic, snack food and tea isn’t exactly what romance is made of. Probably my first platonic relationship with a girl in a looong while.

After a particularly competitive early morning run yesterday that featured rain and humidity (she won… this time), we had a post-run having breakfast (basically food we bring it eat after a run, sort of a ritual we’ve gotten used to). Since I hadn’t seen her in a week, I asked her whether she had a good trip, assuming she was away on business. She told me went to see a friend who’s an artist/animator and that she brought back a gift. It wasn’t the typical お土産 we’ve been exchanging for some months this time, it wasn’t a snack or tea. What she gave me was a really cool original drawing featuring a girl (anime style) that looks a lot like her (even has a matching tattoo). I thanked her for the thoughtful gift and she was really happy I liked because it was supposed to be a drawing of her done up in her friend’s drawing style. This is nice, I have a friend with similar interests and it seems we’re developing a good solid friendship.

We met for a run this morning and things were a bit different, there was more chatting between intervals and I made a terrible joke that got her to smile a punch me on the shoulder (she’s never had any physical contact with me, it’s not something you usually do when running). Breakfast was also different this time in that she brought some food for me in a small bento box and she lightly touched my hand when she passed it over.

I am now wondering, since all my relationships have somehow started (and often ended) with fucking whether I am making too much out of what I am perceiving as clear signals that she might want to do more than running. I figure it’s likely all in my head, but I wonder whether some of you who know Japanese culture and dating can tell me whether I’m overthinking this one.

She’s friends with a lot of my friend’s girlfriends so I figure asking them will likely just make things weird, so why not ask the high-libido crowd at TAG? If she’s reading here, I’m likely fucked anyway.

Reactions: Gina
A long way to travel just to motor around the Imperial Palace area. I've done that in my past but I live near there. To much car exhaust for it being healthy imho.

A long way to travel just to motor around the Imperial Palace area. I've done that in my past but I live near there. To much car exhaust for it being healthy imho.

The Imperial Palace area isn’t far from where I am, about 2k, a perfect warm-up/cool down for a long run (I’m a long distance runner so 12-14k isn’t an excessive distance). Plus the Palace is an uninterrupted loop and it’s safe (no cars to worry about) and relatively flat-ish (no super steep inclines). I consider it healthier than when I was running in China where I could often actually see the air. I think her place is also nearby so it’s a convenient pick for morning runs.

I figure not running is likely a worse choice for me. If I didn’t run, I wouldn’t be able to keep my physique in this city (the is too much good food and so have a weakness for 唐揚げ).

Last edited:
Yang-chan, you may need to send her over to the more advanced players… :D

3ACC1776-E07B-44ED-96DB-BA778E61644B.jpeg

Yang-chan, you may need to send her over to the more advanced players… :D

View attachment 18280

Yeah, I definitely suck at adulting and real relationships. Fucking hell, why did I spend my adult life avoiding being an adult.

I’m gonna fuck this up, but I’m gonna have to make a move and see how deeply I’ll ruin this. I have a particular talent for taking perfectly good things and turning them to shit, so this is gonna be interesting.

Last edited:
This is coming from a runner: If you value that jogging route I wouldn't do this, as one or both of you is going to end up having to ditch the route just to avoid the uncomfortable run-ins if/when you fuck things up and the relationship goes to shit. And with you being the foreigner and her the native, there's no telling what sort of trouble she could cause you if she ends up being batshit nuts, and that includes legal trouble (OMG!! HE'S STALKING ME WHILE I JOG!!). I'm serious about that...is she over 30, still single and attractive? There's a reason for that and that's all the warning you need. Moreover, I've found that a lot of serious female runners who get into the sport in their later years do so for therapeutic reasons, meaning they're fucking crazy and fucked up their lives and marathon training is the only thing that keeps them from leaping off an overpass.

Again, this is coming from a runner, and one who's actually planning his upcoming Tokyo trip and hotel reservation around that jogging route just to try it for once. A good route is worth more than any garden variety pussy. Unless, of course, she's rich as fuck, in which case I think you should be planning the long-game and scouting out rings.

This is coming from a runner: If you value that jogging route I wouldn't do this, as one or both of you is going to end up having to ditch the route just to avoid the uncomfortable run-ins if/when you fuck things up and the relationship goes to shit. And with you being the foreigner and her the native, there's no telling what sort of trouble she could cause you if she ends up being batshit nuts, and that includes legal trouble (OMG!! HE'S STALKING ME WHILE I JOG!!). I'm serious about that...is she over 30, still single and attractive? There's a reason for that and that's all the warning you need. Moreover, I've found that a lot of serious female runners who get into the sport in their later years do so for therapeutic reasons, meaning they're fucking crazy and fucked up their lives and marathon training is the only thing that keeps them from leaping off an overpass.

Again, this is coming from a runner, and one who's actually planning his upcoming Tokyo trip and hotel reservation around that jogging route just to try it for once. A good route is worth more than any garden variety pussy. Unless, of course, she's rich as fuck, in which case I think you should be planning the long-game and scouting out rings.

You are certainly making a very valid point about the possibility of dealing with this girl, I need to reflect on this or else I might lose a chunk of valuable marathon training route. I also am not interested in dealing with the crazy, jumping off the bridge type. I’ve already dealt with that level of crazy and once is enough for a lifetime (it left me with a literal scar). I never thought about it that way, but then again, my running buddies have never ever been hot. This is actually super useful input, thank you!

She is indeed younger than me, (slightly under 30) and she is way richer than me (her dad is a more successful CEO than I am and she is high up in the business). I don’t tend to date my age, I am way too immature for a woman in her mid thirties, haha. This has given stuff to think about.

If you are in my neck of the woods, feel free to drop me a line, by the way. I’ll show you around and do post-run drinks. That segment is absolutely the best part of my weekly 20k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxblack and Keihan
I am just waiting the story where she starts giving you a blowjob during the run. I mean it's a safe area for that, coppers all around.

The only interesting thing about the palace route is that despite there not being a 5 km route there is a perfect 10 km route.

Jeez. Invite her to a run around Lake Hakone, combined with a nice onsen, and a ticket for two on the Romance Car for good measure. If she agrees, you're in. If she doesn't, let's hope her dad isn't the CEO of the company you are working for.

Reactions: Gina and MikeH
I am just waiting the story where she starts giving you a blowjob during the run. I mean it's a safe area for that, coppers all around.

The only interesting thing about the palace route is that despite there not being a 5 km route there is a perfect 10 km route.

Yup the smart ass comment is super useful, thanks man. I am not getting head every time I meet a girl (we’ll unless I specifically pay for it) and I was hoping for some useful advice which is actually what Keihan provided. I don’t have too much of network to talk about this right now and I was just hoping someone might have something insightful to share.

I’ll stay out of your way, you obviously have an active dislike for me.

The palace is approximately 5k and It is a nice route to run. Are you thinking of Akasaka Palace that’s much shorter? I live near there and it’s not my favorite run spot because there is a sharp turn in the bottom of one of the hills I really hate (near the sign naming the hill). Instead I keep going, pass that Shinto temple dedicated to foxes and keep going to the place I like running around (sometimes as part of a larger circuit, depends on distance).

Reactions: Mr Cat
Jeez. Invite her to a run around Lake Hakone, combined with a nice onsen, and a ticket for two on the Romance Car for good measure. If she agrees, you're in. If she doesn't, let's hope her dad isn't the CEO of the company you are working for.

I’ve been thinking about Hakone as a nice place to visit/run. I’ve been eyeballing the amount Fuji Marathon, seems like a cool one to do.

Maybe that could be a nice way to do this, though. That is if I actually get to that point. She might just be really nice and not interested (which would make any move I make super awkward).

I don’t work for her dad, wouldn’t ever run with his daughter if I did. I own my own company and it does well, I just don’t do nearly as well as her dad does (wish I did).

Last edited:
Maybe that could be a nice way to do this, though. That is if I actually get to that point. She might just be really nice and not interested (which would make any move I make super awkward).

By now, she's wondering that you might be gay.

Reactions: Maxblack
I’ll stay out of your way, you obviously have an active dislike for me.

You got it all wrong, I have a very passive dislike of you. But please don't get cocky, I pretty much hate everyone so that doesn't make you special.

The palace is approximately 5k and It is a nice route to run. Are you thinking of Akasaka Palace that’s much shorter?

No, the palace route is exactly 4.974 meters when going through the Sakuradamon gate and exactly 5.026 meters when going around the gate. Thus giving you a perfect 10 km. And anyone running marathons in Tokyo would definitely know that.

By now, she's wondering that you might be gay.

I doubt it, we’ve been messaging on line back and forth and she hasn’t tried to introduce me to her brother yet. I am just reticent to get into this and make it into another terrible relationship.

You got it all wrong, I have a very passive dislike of you. But please don't get cocky, I pretty much hate everyone so that doesn't make you special.

We’ll thanks for clearing that up. I really enjoy the occasional put-down by a smart ass. I really needed your comment, it was as valuable as what I got out of it.

No, the palace route is exactly 4.974 meters when going through the Sakuradamon gate and exactly 5.026 meters when going around the gate. Thus giving you a perfect 10 km. And anyone running marathons in Tokyo would definitely know that.

I moved to Tokyo months ago and never ran a marathon here. I am a long distance runner who might be thinking about running a marathon. I had no idea I was supposed to know about the 10k loop, but your post makes it clear, you’ve determined I am not a marathoner and that my worth is very low.

I’d like to reiterate this so it’s clear: your previous comments’ value has been super high, I truly appreciate you taking time out of your day to answer me.

Last edited:
I am just reticent to get into this and make it into another terrible relationship.

Well you asked for advice so here goes. Continue running with her and get your pussy elsewhere. As you have already found out it's much easier to find good pussy in Tokyo than it's to find a good running partner.

Well you asked for advice so here goes. Continue running with her and get your pussy elsewhere. As you have already found out it's much easier to find good pussy in Tokyo than it's to find a good running partner.

Finally, a comment with no put-down, I feared your were pathologically unable to do it.

I don’t think you’re wrong, here, I just think this might be something else, so I’m feeling a bit paralyzed. I don’t usually feel frozen with decisions which makes me think I might actually be developing a relationship with this girl that worth something.

Anyways, here’s an actual thank you for your comment.

Finally, a comment with no put-down, I feared your were pathologically unable to do it.

I do have a medical condition that makes me do the put-downs. I have been diagnosed with an allergy for bullshit.

Happily I have medication for it, it's called Johnny Walker and I have had a lot today.

I do have a medical condition that makes me do the put-downs. I have been diagnosed with an allergy for bullshit.

Happily I have medication for it, it's called Johnny Walker and I have had a lot today.

They keep coming… have another bottle.

I'm serious about that...is she over 30, still single and attractive? There's a reason for that and that's all the warning you need.

I beg to differ, very much. Most Japanese men seem to be borderline pedophiles, and most Japanese women are convinced that being over 30 is past their sell-by date. Also, Japanese men seem to be downright scared by independent women. If the lady has studied and lived for a few years abroad, and picked up some of the foreign ideas, her merchantability on the Japanese wedding market drops precipitously.

I am lucky to be married to one of them, an elegant, well-traveled, and sexy as hell Yamanote-type girl with well-to-do parents. I listen often to her still single girlfriends in similar situations. They definitely are not crazy. Grab them when you find them.

I beg to differ, very much. Most Japanese men seem to be borderline pedophiles, and most Japanese women are convinced that being over 30 is past their sell-by date. Also, Japanese men seem to be downright scared by independent women. If the lady has studied and lived for a few years abroad, and picked up some of the foreign ideas, her merchantability on the Japanese wedding market drops precipitously.

Indeed. If a girl is smart and has own opinions most Japanese guys will nope out faster than I from a fat girl.

So get them if you can, many of them have developed a taste for dark humor too which is rare here.

Reactions: MikeH
Don’t worry, I won’t bother you guys anymore, sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.
No, no, no....keep going. I've got popcorn here.....with real butter.

Reactions: MikeH
Don’t worry, I won’t bother you guys anymore, sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.
Take it like a man. This is part of the traditional hazing here, and a sign that you are a candidate for the inner circle - - - unless you are taking the ribbing personal. @MikeH is the Master Hazer at TAG. Bow your head, or haze back.