Any good online English teaching companies to work with?

Since there are a ton of people in Tokyo...is it really easy to gather up a lot of private English students rather quickly?

Are there a lot of public places in Tokyo (City Hall, Cultural Exchange Centers, etc) where you can post your English teaching ads for free or low cost?

Do you have your own school? Is this something a lot of English teachers are doing these days in Tokyo as well?

Tokyo is pretty competitive in that regard but there's a lot of people wanting to learn English. Naturally it's going to be easier for female teachers to get students. You can post online and probably at cultural exchange centers too. When I first moved to Japan I tried to get private students and I ran into some trouble.. the biggest one being I had a few girls message me saying "Teach me for free" or "Come to *really far place* to teach me" etc. Setting up the logistics can be tough but if you can manage to do it you can strike big.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Yes, I'm in the process of opening my own school. I finished putting together a decent looking website with html, no template bs. I also just finished creating a new ad for my school, which is much better than the other ad which I'm going to post in various locations, one which is a cafe where I'm friends with one of the staff that works there.

I know a lot of people make their own schools, but it will take time to turn this school into a full time job as I accumulate students.

Since there are a ton of people in Tokyo...is it really easy to gather up a lot of private English students rather quickly?

Here in Shizuoka, that is definitely not the case, but I get new private students now and then.

Are there a lot of public places in Tokyo (City Hall, Cultural Exchange Centers, etc) where you can post your English teaching ads for free or low cost?

Do you have your own school? Is this something a lot of English teachers are doing these days in Tokyo as well?

I'm dutch and would be a terrible teacher.. have you ever heard a dutch guy speak english? Unless I could get rid of my accent it would be a terrible idea lol

I'm a junior accountant and studying for cpa exam.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I'm dutch and would be a terrible teacher.. have you ever heard a dutch guy speak english? Unless I could get rid of my accent it would be a terrible idea lol

I'm a junior accountant and studying for cpa exam.

So wait...you aren't a plus size witch? lol

Well good luck on the cpa exam, whenever you take that.

Tokyo is pretty competitive in that regard but there's a lot of people wanting to learn English. Naturally it's going to be easier for female teachers to get students. You can post online and probably at cultural exchange centers too. When I first moved to Japan I tried to get private students and I ran into some trouble.. the biggest one being I had a few girls message me saying "Teach me for free" or "Come to *really far place* to teach me" etc. Setting up the logistics can be tough but if you can manage to do it you can strike big.
How did you become popular as a teacher in your school?
Good lessons? Sympathetic? Fun?

Reactions: monalisaoverdrive
How did you become popular as a teacher in your school?
Good lessons? Sympathetic? Fun?

All three. I'm pretty good at teaching... I'm also a bit quiet so I let the students talk and I give them corrections. A lot of teachers make the mistake of speaking too much. I also know a lot about different topics (music, sports, history, politics - even really obscure topics). I'm also really friendly in general and very professional (I'm always really well dressed... I have like 15 different skinny ties and numerous blazers haha). I think all of these things perhaps. Some teachers at my school get very popular quickly but most tend to suffer quite a bit. They end up with a open schedule for months (if not years) and barely make anything. At my school we have some teachers who literally talk about anime and manga with every student they meet..... needless to say they don't get all that popular.

Some teachers at my school get very popular quickly but most tend to suffer quite a bit. They end up with a open schedule for months (if not years) and barely make anything.

Sounds like you're working for GABA.

At my school we have some teachers who literally talk about anime and manga with every student they meet..... needless to say they don't get all that popular.

Yeah I really don't get that. I like to watch Boruto on a rainy sunday (I've watched the original Naruto since 2002 so I have an excuse lol) But I just keep that to myself. Some people need to learn some tact especially when your paycheck depends on it.

Reactions: monalisaoverdrive
Yeah I really don't get that. I like to watch Boruto on a rainy sunday (I've watched the original Naruto since 2002 so I have an excuse lol) But I just keep that to myself. Some people need to learn some tact especially when your paycheck depends on it.

Yeah, totally. I talk about anime/manga with a few of my teenage male students... but if I meet a salaryman or a housewife there's almost no chance. Just seems like common sense to me, really.