Guest viewing is limited

Being Black In Japan And Finding Women

KokujinJP

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I have been in Japan for about 7 months now and I have only gotten about 3 dates. It seems like Japanese girls are not willing to give me any time of time because I am Black. I speak fairly good Japanese so it is not an issue. I see my white guy friends who speak no Japanese constantly having dates lined up, constant hook ups, and women begging to sleep with them, even though they are not even as good looking as me or speak anywhere the amount of Japanese I can. They often ask how it is possibly that I haven't meet more girls then them. Then only thing I can come to is that in this area(Kobe/Osaka) Japanese women are not warm to Black people at all. I have been to Bars and clubs, where women will actually ignore me if I approach them. I have been on multiple dating apps/sites such as Pairs, Tinder (500 swipes=no match), Gyaruru, PCmax, Skout, JapanCupid, AdultFriendFinder, etc. I have tried them all. At this point I ready to give up, Are Japanese really this cold towards non white foreigners? I have even played with the idea of just buying sex, but that is even a challenge! Once anyone figures out that I am Black the conversation is over. I am out of Ideas, what does everyone think? No it is not my looks, I am a fairly attractive black guy, who takes very good care of himself.

I know we have a few black members that could share their insights.

Do you have any black friends where you live? If so, do they have any success?

The only things I've heard for certain, mind you this is in Tokyo, but less Japanese ability is more when getting some girls. Also, black men are having their reputation ruined by the Nigerians and other African blacks that are a party to scams and underhandedness such as marrying a j-girl for a visa and splitting once they've gotten it.

Wish I could say more, but I'm white, sorry!

I think it depends on where you go as in bars or clubs. Find a Hip-Hop place or R&B spot. They should be women more open to you. Its about finding something in common and going from there. I have several friends that go to Osaka all the time and have no issues there. I will ask them about a few places there. A far as Yokohama and Tokyo the seem to be just as open as any other women in the world. It all about the approach.

id also say that location can matter... location as in clubs and so on...

another turn off for the people i know is: wanting to date japanese instead of wanting to date humans...

as for skin colour and so on, that, as sad as it is, might just be a matter of preference, without being racist... you just met the wrong ones, probably...

Reactions: jacqueh
The only things I've heard for certain, mind you this is in Tokyo, but less Japanese ability is more when getting some girls. Also, black men are having their reputation ruined by the Nigerians and other African blacks that are a party to scams and underhandedness such as marrying a j-girl for a visa and splitting once they've gotten it.
This is probably a reason why black guys are often not accepted in p4p places as well. Africa has quite a reputation for sexual diseases and while an African American guy would be not a big risk, it's hard to sort out for walk in places and more easy to just refuse on skin color.

I think it depends on where you go as in bars or clubs. Find a Hip-Hop place or R&B spot. They should be women more open to you. Its about finding something in common and going from there. I have several friends that go to Osaka all the time and have no issues there. I will ask them about a few places there. A far as Yokohama and Tokyo the seem to be just as open as any other women in the world. It all about the approach.
Very good point. I have heard some of the girls in Tokyo really dig black guys. It's a certain type of girls, just like in the US. Probably a bit of a fetish for girls but black guys have the image of being very strong and cool and some girls are crazy for that and feel cool hanging out with them. If you are ok with dating or at least hooking up with that type you should focus on finding them. I don't know about Osaka, and that you didn't get one match at all on the dating sites is a very bad sign.. But indeed, hang around in clubs that play black music, learn about brands like Baby Shoop, join some internet communities about popular black culture things...

Good luck!

I think it depends on where you go as in bars or clubs.
This.
Everyone has his own tastes. As I am white and I love asians... There are asians who loves blacks. I've heard from an Italian friend of mine that Yokosuka is full of girls for you ;) (my friend lives and works there)

As old Willie Sutton once said when asked why he robbed banks, "That's where the money is."

You just need to pick your environment - find places where the "money" is.

As has been mentioned above, hip hop and reggae places are going to be populated with women who are actively interested in black men.

Last edited:
I'm black, an I got 99 problems but a Japanese girl aint one. Race aint the big problem you reckon it is mate, tho gettin stuck on it will make it into a problem. I reckon a lot of your issue is mindset. Youre better looking, you speak better Japanese.. hope you dont think thats what it takes. you should have a look at what your mates are actually doing, no preconceptions about why theyre getting the better results. Yeah, white guys DO get an easier 'in' at the beginning, for real. But maybe your mates are also just better with girls

If white guys like myself have it easier "in" then I'd hate to know what's it's like to be a fugly guy by any standards. Because The OP is doing a lot better than I and I've been here longer.

So I have been in Japan for about 7 months now and I have only gotten about 3 dates. It seems like Japanese girls are not willing to give me any time of time because I am Black. I speak fairly good Japanese so it is not an issue. I see my white guy friends who speak no Japanese constantly having dates lined up, constant hook ups, and women begging to sleep with them, even though they are not even as good looking as me or speak anywhere the amount of Japanese I can. They often ask how it is possibly that I haven't meet more girls then them. Then only thing I can come to is that in this area(Kobe/Osaka) Japanese women are not warm to Black people at all. I have been to Bars and clubs, where women will actually ignore me if I approach them. I have been on multiple dating apps/sites such as Pairs, Tinder (500 swipes=no match), Gyaruru, PCmax, Skout, JapanCupid, AdultFriendFinder, etc. I have tried them all. At this point I ready to give up, Are Japanese really this cold towards non white foreigners? I have even played with the idea of just buying sex, but that is even a challenge! Once anyone figures out that I am Black the conversation is over. I am out of Ideas, what does everyone think? No it is not my looks, I am a fairly attractive black guy, who takes very good care of himself.
Before I would blame the issue on skin color, I would evaluate your approach to dating Japanese women. I have friends of all colors (yes, that includes White guys) that have done very poorly dating Japanese women, and then friends who do very well (including Black).

1) Dressing Wrong For The Environment/Situation

I have some Black (and White) friends from the military bases that dress up very thuggish, sporty, or non-professionally. To include scraggly beards or hairstyles. I would say they give a bad vibe to many Japanese women, who don't understand foreign fashion or can't differentiate it from a person's true personality. Consequently, many Japanese women will be scared of foreigners dressed a certain way, as if they came to Japan to rob, murder, or deal drugs.

Dressingly a certain way, can totally work at various clubs or weekends, but not work with say average or working women. You might want to look more professional or adjust your fashion/style, to what works better to the type of women you are approaching.

1B) Profile Pictures

Some dudes are taking odd pictures. Bare chested, looking like gangsters, blurry, the lighting is too dark, looking creepy, doing weird shit that they think "cool" but others don't, etc... Also the profile can be too difficult for Japanese to read or adding a bit of Japanese to it might help (though not with foreign women).

This might be the problem, versus a person's race or skin color.

2) Using A Bad Approach

Some guys are better at approaching and talking to women than others. Some guys approach women in a creepy, aggressive, too serious (no smiles), with defeatist behavior, etc... Possibly learn to be more comfortable with approach and talking to women.

3) Approaching In Bad Areas/Clubs

Some areas and locations work for some guys and not for others. For example being in the wrong clubs, maybe your style isn't good for street approaches, always trying to talk to women in the same location, etc... Another problem about the same location, is you or foreigners getting a bad reputation there (to include jealous or racist Japanese giving you such a bad reputation).

A guy may want to vary and try different locations or ways to meet women.

4) Get Help

Some guys are bad at approaching women by themselves. Enlist the help of a wing-man, to hype you up to girls and introduce you, or have a more skilled/successful guy mentor/help you.

I seem to have fairly good responses at some social events. Unfortunately, a lot of them are just so-so looking, and I'm not good at closing a deal & clueless how to pull. The last event I went to was a Tequila festival of which one stunning 28 year old I already had my eye on said something directed toward me (with her 2 friends) as I was looking at a stand next to her. Being there was actually my ploy to get a chance to kick into a conversation. Once I heard her say whatever in Japanese, I immediately took action because this girl was a striking looking one. Bullshitted with her and her friend for a few minutes, wrote her Line contact down (dead phone battery) to find out later that I couldn't add her because I never completed age verification with Line (and still can't). I could fucking kick myself for such a mistake. So, locale indeed plays a big part

Perhaps try a foreigner friendly bar in ginza. From my experience the japanese women who go to those areas are looking for something "exotic," and dont be so down, optimism is key (y)

I seem to have fairly good responses at some social events. Unfortunately, a lot of them are just so-so looking, and I'm not good at closing a deal & clueless how to pull. The last event I went to was a Tequila festival of which one stunning 28 year old I already had my eye on said something directed toward me (with her 2 friends) as I was looking at a stand next to her. Being there was actually my ploy to get a chance to kick into a conversation. Once I heard her say whatever in Japanese, I immediately took action because this girl was a striking looking one. Bullshitted with her and her friend for a few minutes, wrote her Line contact down (dead phone battery) to find out later that I couldn't add her because I never completed age verification with Line (and still can't). I could fucking kick myself for such a mistake. So, locale indeed plays a big part
You can go to the mobile phone shop (Softbank, Docomo, AU...) and have them help you complete the age verification process.

Another way is for you to get her phone number too. You can send your LINE link (it's like a website address that comes with the LINE QR code) or LINE ID to her by SMS, plus you can call her.

I'm a black Jamaican guy, and I've been having dates to the point where I can't keep up. You just have to understand the culture. I've seen other black guys in places like roppongi use a very aggressive approach with Japanese girls in clubs and that works for them, but I'm not aggressive like that, just don't seem too pushy and you should be fine. Also another thing that works is having wingmen or a wing woman with you like in a group, Japanese girls in clubs will most likely turn down a guy who went alone because he isn't seen as cool.

Dude. Stefhan Bryan ("Black Passenger, Yellow Cab", check it out; fascinating, harrowing, informational and highly disturbing all at once) 10 years before you also lived in Kobe, and basically was never NOT fucking women, spinning dozens of plates like a French juggler. Dude's literally - literally (by his own accounts/details) - caused more abortions than I've had partners. He's not even super hot, just has the persistence and attitude* of someone with PuA skills but a disdain for PuA play, skills picked up over time (not just born with them). I found it hard to believe that he tore through so much pussy in Kobe/Kansai compared to a place like Tokyo with its Roppongis and Shibuyas, but he did.

Don't. Be. Him.
But there's much to learn from him. I learned a lot about attitude/presentability, ...and also the depths of physical additions...

* (...of a serial date rapist, but yeah that's another issue aside the point, all covered in his book)

Last edited:
Here's the answer. A kind Tag Lurker advised me to install the app on my PC and add her. I did just that and was able to type in her ID and add her.
Line on PC? Oh okay I'll try that, though I am not good with computers [emoji24]
I could hardly install some basic softwares

Line on PC? Oh okay I'll try that, though I am not good with computers [emoji24]
I could hardly install some basic softwares
Add line to your PC, it's easy. Actually I added it to my chromebook which is an app based OS. So I went directly to Google Apps. If you are using Windows then Google "line app for Windows". But I'm not sure if it's really available for Windows and Apple.

Your not putting yourself out there.....You have to go where black folks are accepted.....on line....clubs where they are accepted...You need to market yourself.....and you will find out its easy......try harder my man!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland