Guest viewing is limited

Brand New American In Tokyo Where Is The Best Place To Meet Women?

personal experience (mine and from observations): its by far easier to date when you dont really speak japanese... if youll never have to learn japanese is up to debate, but often japanese are more interested in foreigners, the less they know japanese...
sure, you can approach more women, when you speak the local language, but how many are really willing to date foreigners?

TONS of girls will date foreigners long term. You just have to frame things properly with regular girls. One simple tip is just making sure that when you're framing the relationship with the girl, shatter any preconceived notions she may have of how a relationship is supposed to go. You're not a japanese girl and a white guy, or whatever. It's you and her. Don't let the foreigner thing be a detractor for you, as it's something out of your control. It goes beyond just speaking the language though; you need to be in their world and understand where they're coming from. That's true of pretty much any relationship.

Your foreignerness might get you about 5 minutes of attention from people, but the days (especially in Tokyo) of Japanese girls going ape shit over foreigners are long gone (10-20 years gone). Bring something to the table other than being a white guy to connect to the girl as a human (like @User#8628 said) and you'll do fine.

As far as where to meet girls, you really need to identify what kind of girl you like? Most of the girls I've seen online are girls that don't have a blossoming social life due to their personality, work, or a multitude of other reasons. Pairs and Omiai are good apps for serious relationships, and they pull info directly from your facebook. Personally, find a local HUB (bar), or Rigoletto's in Roppongi, R2 also in roppongi. You'll find girls who are more likely to speak English and is more like a western style bar than the normal Japanese standing bars where you drink alone or with people you came with and don't make eye contact with others (Of course you can, it's just not commonly done =P). Otherwise, there are the common ways of pursuing your own hobbies and meeting girls in the same environments and such (most organic method IMO). Talk to Japanese guys too at the bar, make friends and expand your social circle. They probably have cute friends and can set up a gokon for you.

You can also check sites like gaijin pot for language exchanges and such, those can be good ways to meet girls too.

all of that is true, i guess... just didnt work for me... whenever i met women through language exchange, or anything else related to foreign things, it never worked out and actually we stop talking after a while... and i dont think about nationalities at all...

whenever i go to places i like, or to the places i usually go, i got no problem with finding someone to talk to until morning and whos looking forward to the next time im coming around... and there i am expanding my social circle without any problems... i dont even have to talk to someone, people talk to me, or i get introduced...

sure there are enough who want to date foreigners, but i think they got some specific country on their minds, or got an image that some people (or maybe only i) just dont meet...

You might want to watch the movie "An American in Paris", seems similar to your plight :LOL:

In my humble opinion, though, everywhere is a good place. If you like, don't think of it as "meeting women" but "making friends".
And don't jump into bed with anyone you can. Anyone who is on the streets long enough will find someone who is willing to sleep with them. My own personal philosophy, but quick sex can ruin a relationship, unless that's what you are looking for.

all of that is true, i guess... just didnt work for me... whenever i met women through language exchange, or anything else related to foreign things, it never worked out and actually we stop talking after a while... and i dont think about nationalities at all...
There could be a number of reasons for this, and without knowing anything about your interactions while on the language exchange, I can't really editorialize. Some of the most common causes for girls going dark on you, or not reciprocating interest
1) You didn't (try) have sex with them soon enough
2) They want a purely business relationship
3) You're not their type/ no chemistry, etc

#1 is likely the most controversial, but just thinking about it from a guy perspective: If I'm on my 20th date with a girl, and she's consistently resisted every attempt at me having sex with her, I'm going to drop her no matter how awesome she is. Sex is a very importantly, natural step in developing a relationship. It's not just about the physical pleasure, it's about the emotional bond between man and woman (then of course the physical pleasure aspect is important too =P). If she's ready to go, she's not going to wait around forever for you to man up and make a move, she's got her time limit on how long she's willing to invest in the relationship before moving on to her next option. This is typically why PUA's push for sex, regardless of their long term goals. I got into game looking for my future wife, and always pushed for sex as quickly as possible (except when I was experimenting with withholding sex and seeing how it worked with my game).

My recommendation is after your allotted language exchange time, ask her if she wants to go grab a drink at a nearby bar or something and just talk to her more humanly. The language exchange places I've been on were too rigid and basically like just regular tutoring sessions. It didn't offer much opportunity to get to know the girl like I would over drinks in a casual environment. From there, see how things progress and feel if she's down for sex afterwards.

whenever i go to places i like, or to the places i usually go, i got no problem with finding someone to talk to until morning and whos looking forward to the next time im coming around... and there i am expanding my social circle without any problems... i dont even have to talk to someone, people talk to me, or i get introduced...
You're in a place that's in your element, that's normal. Without getting into a long drawn out lecture about it, you have to consider the power dynamics of the place you're in. I've never been picked up by a girl before, except at my work place by my students. When you go somewhere, there are dynamics of who's the most powerful, coolest, etc and said person is going to be the most attractive person in the room, and women are going to be trying to get that guy's attention. As a teacher, I am the most Alpha in the room, and thus the most attractive. When you go to a club, it's going to be the DJ or the bartender, etc. This isn't going to necessarily get you the lay, because you still need to be an interesting and attractive guy, but that initial attraction that comes from power dynamics helps (Social status).

When you're in a place that you're a usual, or specifically interested in, you're in your comfort zone and that will be attractive to girls.

sure there are enough who want to date foreigners, but i think they got some specific country on their minds, or got an image that some people (or maybe only i) just dont meet...
Sure there are, just like there are people attracted to Asians (probably most of us living here long term =P), red heads, burnettes, blondes, tall, short, skinny, fat, "more to love," sweet, ultra-sweet, bitchy, lesbianic feminazi, etc, etc.

Everyone has their tastes in the opposite sex, and it's really not worthwhile to even give it a second thought. You don't know what her tastes are, nor can you control it. Things you can't control that you worry about are ultimately a waste of brain power you could be focusing towards being a confident, attractive, in the moment guy. I've been the first foreigner for a lot of girls, I've been the nth; it's just a preference she may have, not an iron clad rule.

this is why i dont care much anymore and see what happens... im having fun when i go out anyway...
maybe i should try pushing for sex once, though i find that extremely rude...

for language exchange and so on, i still hold my opinion... i just dont meet the expectations (good that i dont need that anymore, anyway)... maybe it was my fault, because i was seriously interested in studying... and i also always felt that it was clear after a short time, that im not going to meet them a second time, no matter what i do... usual problems (also for online dating): im not going to live abroad, i dont speak english, taste in music and places...

im sure im not the only one who has that happening all the time... i do admit, that im also not attracted to too many people... when i am, ill try my best, though...

this is why i dont care much anymore and see what happens... im having fun when i go out anyway...
maybe i should try pushing for sex once, though i find that extremely rude...
Why is that rude? I mean, if you meet a girl you're vibing with, see what she's interested in doing. Girls want sex too! It's "rude" if you make her do something she doesn't want to do, but she's an adult too. If she wants to go back to a love hotel with you, then that's a decision she made in response to a question being asked. If you're unsure, you see how receptive she is when you get physical with her. Hold her hand, pat her shoulder, etc. If you try to grab her hand and she rips it away; she's probably not wanting to have sex with you. =P

Unfortunately though, you're the guy. You're expected to lead the interaction, not her. "wait and see what happens" is not generally going to result in anything favorable for you.

for language exchange and so on, i still hold my opinion... i just dont meet the expectations (good that i dont need that anymore, anyway)... maybe it was my fault, because i was seriously interested in studying... and i also always felt that it was clear after a short time, that im not going to meet them a second time, no matter what i do... usual problems (also for online dating): im not going to live abroad, i dont speak english, taste in music and places...
When I'm seriously interested in studying, I'm putting off the vibe that I'm not interested in anything other than studying. She's probably looking to meet someone on a more personal level and you're giving off the professional only vibe, thus your interests don't align and she'll disappear.

im sure im not the only one who has that happening all the time... i do admit, that im also not attracted to too many people... when i am, ill try my best, though...
It happens to a lot of people all around the world. Being attractive is not something you do, it's something you are though. It's something that can be learned over time through working on yourself and such (self-improvement), but it's not like you say "Oh hey, there's a girl, time to switch on my 'attractive self' mode!" and succeed. More often than not, that results in failure, especially if you're coming from a place of ego rather than confidence.

Although this thread is a bit old, I thought that it would be worth replying.

If you are in Fussa, then check out Red Cave on Bar Row. Sometimes you will see a few Japanese women and/or foreign women (Americans, Filipinas, etc.) in there as customers. At other times, however, it’s all guys except for the staff. Anyway, Red Cave is a small place with no cover charge. So, you can pop in for a quick look.

There is also a dance club near Red Cave located on the 2nd floor of the next building. Women often like to dance more than men. So, it's worth investigating. That place is a bit larger, but the name escapes me at the moment. Red Cave and that other place have (or at least once had) the same owner. Both places tend to play urban music.

Fussa is not Shibuya or Roppongi, but it does have some life to it.

Naturally, many of the dudes who hang out on Bar Row are Airmen or have some other connection with the nearby Yokota Air Base. Depending upon your perspective that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Most of the bars on Bar Row are foreigner-friendly. Yet, a couple of places in that area are “Japanese only” joints.

Bar Row gets busy on the weekends, but it can be very slow on weeknights. Monday seems to be the slowest night when some of the bars don’t even bother to open.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland