• Villain

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Idiot

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Genius

Votes: 24 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He didn't do as well on explaining his innocence re all of the charges brought against him, but not bad.
No, that he actually did pretty well considering that there is a definite paper trail which I don't think has seen the light of day and it's potentially something that both Nissan and the government had sat on or hid. I do agree that his could help Kelly, but after sitting through the main part of the press conference, it's pretty clear why they were trying to keep him quiet.

There's either going to be a suicide by someone connected to Nissan that had inside info or someone else is going to get arrested and silenced.

Edit: I'm only the CEO of TAG, not a global corp... so my words don't mean much. ;)

No, that he actually did pretty well considering that there is a definite paper trail which I don't think has seen the light of day and it's potentially something that both Nissan and the government had sat on or hid. I do agree that his could help Kelly, but after sitting through the main part of the press conference, it's pretty clear why they were trying to keep him quiet.

There's either going to be a suicide by someone connected to Nissan that had inside info or someone else is going to get arrested and silenced.

Edit: I'm only the CEO of TAG, not a global corp... so my words don't mean much. ;)

I would guess the full story and the full paper and non-paper trails haven't been properly or fully disclosed by either side.

But he has put a lot of pressure on others at Nissan/Renault. And certainly the head prosecutor is having a pretty shitty day today. It will be interesting to see how it plays out from here.

I think he did a good job with the press conference. He made lots of points on the "hostage justice" issue. He made Japan look terrible. He did OK on the conspiracy issue. He didn't do as well on explaining his innocence re all of the charges brought against him, but not bad. My guess is that this is going to help Kelly big time. Now that the world is watching, they are going to have to be reasonable with him. I also think that the liklihood of his being sent back to Japan has gone from near zero to zero.
I am glad he expressed his support to Kelly at the beginning of his press conference.
Kelly’s arrest conditions were revolting.
It would have been nice if he had words for the people arrested in Turkey.
Thanks again @e-smile for posting the link to the press conference.
The churn at France 24 when he was speaking in Arabic was hilarious.

I enjoyed the questions after the speech

the Italian journalist question was funny
Lebanese were off topic asking him blaming him for visiting Israel as CEO of the alliance

I don't know about how much guilty he is of abusing the company money and I expect most CEO are doing that but it was interesting to hear about the judiciary system in Japan.

I enjoyed the questions after the speech

the Italian journalist question was funny
Lebanese were off topic asking him blaming him for visiting Israel as CEO of the alliance

I don't know about how much guilty he is of abusing the company money and I expect most CEO are doing that but it was interesting to hear about the judiciary system in Japan.

by the way , is his arabic really good or a bit «childish » ? He was just a kid when he left Lebanon

I am glad he expressed his support to Kelly at the beginning of his press conference.
Kelly’s arrest conditions were revolting.
It would have been nice if he had words for the people arrested in Turkey.
Thanks again @e-smile for posting the link to the press conference.
The churn at France 24 when he was speaking in Arabic was hilarious.

you should read “the American trap” from Frederic Petrucci if you think Kelly’s arrestation conditions are unfair... what USA does to the rest of the world in the economic war is much worse.

I also think that the liklihood of his being sent back to Japan has gone from near zero to zero.
What if he gets elected as prime minister of Lebanon in the future and thus gains diplomatic immunity?

It must be a very embarrassing scenario for Japan if he expresses interests to pay a formal visit as a prime minister.

Reactions: Ken4fb
I understand he studied for French Bac in Lebanon. He sounds to me like speaking proper colloquial Levantine Arabic...

I understand he studied for French Bac in Lebanon. He sounds to me like speaking proper colloquial Levantine Arabic...
Thanks. It must be the Levantine thing then. I had the impression it sounded quite different to the Arabic used in North Africa

I wonder how much money Ghosn had to pay Lebanese officials to promise not to extradite him. And I wonder if France or Brazil would easily accept him if he had to leave Lebanon. It seems to me that his position is not exactly 100% secure. On the other-hand, any country that allowed him to be extradited would probably face some criticism.

I was thinking the Japanese Govt should hire the Green Beret dude to abduct him back to Japan like the Israelis did with Eichmann. Knock him on the head with a sock full of nickels and stuff him in a tuba case again. He wakes up in the same cell he was in before. If they did that, I hope they would wait until the first movie comes out, because this would be the second movie in the series. Sorta like Hangover 1 and 2. Def a comedy. Def staring Mr. Bean as Ghosn.

I wonder how much money Ghosn had to pay Lebanese officials to promise not to extradite him. And I wonder if France or Brazil would easily accept him if he had to leave Lebanon. It seems to me that his position is not exactly 100% secure. On the other-hand, any country that allowed him to be extradited would probably face some criticism.

I was thinking the Japanese Govt should hire the Green Beret dude to abduct him back to Japan like the Israelis did with Eichmann. Knock him on the head with a sock full of nickels and stuff him in a tuba case again. He wakes up in the same cell he was in before. If they did that, I hope they would wait until the first movie comes out, because this would be the second movie in the series. Sorta like Hangover 1 and 2. Def a comedy. Def staring Mr. Bean as Ghosn.

I read that Lebanon and France have a policy of not extraditing their nationals. But no doubt he will always have the fear and threat of extradition hanging over him.

Do the Japanese really want him back? I suspect there are people here who just want the whole issue swept under the carpet as quickly as possible. Some people would love to see Ghosn rotting in jail, but that means more scrutiny of Nissan, the judicial system and the government...more dirty laundry being aired with very limited upside. Interesting that in his presentation he made it clear he didn't want to talk about the JPN government and expressly stated Abe was not in on the "conspiracy". Also a bit sus that the "escape" happened a week or so after the JPN Foreign Minister visited Beirut. Kelly must feel pretty vulnerable.....I guess there must be conflicting views on how best to "deal" with Kelly or "use" Kelly in this game.

Do the Japanese really want him back?
Yes, for a few reasons.

1) He made them look bad. (Reason enough)

2) His trial proceedings would be used as evidence in a second round of arrests and indictments of people like Saikawa.

3) He didn't just make them look bad, he made them look incomptent.

Yes, for a few reasons.

1) He made them look bad. (Reason enough)

2) His trial proceedings would be used as evidence in a second round of arrests and indictments of people like Saikawa.

3) He didn't just make them look bad, he made them look incomptent.
The only reason they wouldn’t want him back is if they thought he had a chance of ‘winning’ his trial(s). But since there is very little likelihood of a clear win or loss, the Japanese want him back so they can plea bargain - find him guilty of some things, but not all things, and then they will then call it a day. My guess is that if he had played ball, he could have got through it in a year or so, and he would have avoided anymore time in the Klink. The Japanese just wanted him to admit some guilt.

Reactions: Sudsy
But since there is very little likelihood of a clear win or loss

They have enough to convict him for minor things, thus keeping the 99% conviction rate going. I doubt they would have been able to get him for anything major, his posse was too smart to leave any decisive proof laying around.

A side not but it's interesting how the Western press likes to cry about the high conviction rate and claim it's the sign of a crooked system. What they don't tell is the Japanese prosecutors drop a huge amount of cases they think have a low probability of winning thus probably reducing the number of convictions compared to the Western systems.

What they don't tell is the Japanese prosecutors drop a huge amount of cases they think have a low probability of winning thus probably reducing the number of convictions compared to the Western systems.

Yep, if I remember correctly, only about a third of arrests lead to indictment, the rest are all kicked loose without every seeing a courtroom.

Reactions: MikeH
Yep, if I remember correctly, only about a third of arrests lead to indictment, the rest are all kicked loose without every seeing a courtroom.

Also what I learned just yesterday; you can just leave small fines unpaid. They most probably don't bother to take you to court because it's too mendokusai. Now next time I get a speeding ticket...

Also what I learned just yesterday; you can just leave small fines unpaid. They most probably don't bother to take you to court because it's too mendokusai. Now next time I get a speeding ticket...
I had an unpaid parking ticket that I didnt know about. I didn't recall getting it, but when my car dealer tried to renew my shaken, he couldn't do it because they had flagged me in their computer system which is made up of 1992 NEC cigarette stained NEC Lets Notes. Anyway, I had to go in person to a specific police station in the middle of bumfuck Kanagawa during a weekday to fucking pay it. Pay your fines Mikey.

Pay your fines Mikey.

That is different because it's attached to your car registration. But then again I once got a parking ticket and just a week later got and registered a new car. A year later I found the ticket on my drawer unpaid; nobody had ever asked me to pay it the second time.

Reactions: warubuta
Careful with those ones - once they get overdue enough, it becomes a criminal offense, and you end up with an outstanding warrant. This can be inconvenient if you, for example, were to get gaijin carded.

Reactions: MikeH
Careful with those ones - once they get overdue enough, it becomes a criminal offense, and you end up with an outstanding warrant. This can be inconvenient if you, for example, were to get gaijin carded.

Not that I have any intentions really to leave my fines unpaid; if you can't do the time then don't do the crime as they say so I have always bowed my head and paid my fines after fucking up.

The guy I was talking was not a lawyer, hasn't pass the bar yet but he was pretty sure the worst outcome would be they send you an invitation to appear in court and you could still just pay the fine at that time. I will need to double check next time when I drink with him, but I guess if you just refuse to pay or appear in the court that would just then become a warrant?

Not so sure on how the expert quoted in this story arrived at those estimates.

Most people quoted in the news papers arrive to their statements by being full of shit in a normal day, and even more in a high profile case like this. And then they get quoted by reporters who are even more full of shit and in a hurry.

That's ladies and gentlemen is how you make news nowadays.

But let's all have a moment of silence of sympathy for the poor Carlos who only has 70 million USD left. I am going to start a charity for him in a moment, please stay tuned with cash in hand.

Reactions: Majestyk

They would baulk at his fee, try to haggle, suggest cost cutting counter proposals, all documented in diagrams and flowcharts on multiple sheets of B4 paper stuck together with sticky tape, and folded by an origami master....and when that fails they would go it alone using his plan...that would provide the comedy element.:)

(On a side note, I got a chuckle when I saw all round cool dude and sex bomb Rider 00 in the "Similar Threads" listed below this post.

Mary Poppins Returns: In case you are feeling down
Rider 00

Reactions: warubuta

at 10:44 he fell into the trap, he's admitting there was something to confess :ROFLMAO:

by the way , is his arabic really good or a bit «childish » ? He was just a kid when he left Lebanon
his arabic is natural (way better than his english) but that's no surprise, I believe he graduated from high school in Lebanon

I read that Lebanon and France have a policy of not extraditing their nationals. But no doubt he will always have the fear and threat of extradition hanging over him.

Do the Japanese really want him back? I suspect there are people here who just want the whole issue swept under the carpet as quickly as possible. Some people would love to see Ghosn rotting in jail, but that means more scrutiny of Nissan, the judicial system and the government...more dirty laundry being aired with very limited upside. Interesting that in his presentation he made it clear he didn't want to talk about the JPN government and expressly stated Abe was not in on the "conspiracy". Also a bit sus that the "escape" happened a week or so after the JPN Foreign Minister visited Beirut. Kelly must feel pretty vulnerable.....I guess there must be conflicting views on how best to "deal" with Kelly or "use" Kelly in this game.
so does Brazil,