Guest viewing is limited

Completely Useless or Confusing Things in Tokyo

RIDER 00

TAG Member
Reaction score
Post anything you want on this topic.

For my part, 7-11 is a useful store, but is this really the ideal location for one?

This store is located near Waseda station, which is full of students and is probably why they wanted this here.
But, it's in one room on the ground floor of an apartment building hidden by the surrounding fences.
That's what I call desperate.

upload_2018-5-12_23-37-9.png

The Language

Reactions: Wwanderer
As far as I'm concerned - Pachinko parlors.

Also, smoking areas at the gym.

The language (@just4fun), particularly in the lazy way they insist on speaking it, creates its own inscrutableness.

I am beginning to really hate the JR platform displays which were put up there to show what time to expect the next train but, more often than not, are showing some useless information about a 2 minute delay on some other line or advertising some seasonal special which I have no interest in - it's definitely not the reason why I'm standing on this god-damned platform.

There must be a dozen shops in my neighborhood which are real head-scratchers. One trendy-used clothing place I am convinced must be run by the son of the building owner. Otherwise I doubt he could pay the rent even if he sold the entire inventory in a single month.

Reactions: just4fun and cabbie
As far as I'm concerned - Pachinko parlors.

As a foreigner who goes to pachinko every now and then (but not nearly as much as the booming years in the 2000s), I agree and disagree with that statement. Despite the obvious issues with noise/lighting/gambling, I'm convinced that pachinko machines are a unique aspect of Japanese culture on par with manga, anime, video games, etc. Kill the industry and you kill a super addictive way to gamble.

Not that this isn't already happening, though. With restrictions getting stronger over the years, pachiko and pachislot parlors are closing down at a rapid pace every year. In fact, it's rarer to have a new hall open somewhere with the only one in recent years being the one that opened in the Don Quiote building in East Shinjuku near the South Exit.

pachinko machines are a unique aspect of Japanese culture
Fully agreed. That's why I prefaced my statement with "as far as I'm concerned".

But there is an aspect of that industry which I really dislike - the fact that a significant portion of the profit they derive goes straight to North Korea.

Reactions: Sudsy and impish
Fully agreed. That's why I prefaced my statement with "as far as I'm concerned".

But there is an aspect of that industry which I really dislike - the fact that a significant portion of the profit they derive goes straight to North Korea.

I thought they signed a peach agreement with South Korea recently?

Reactions: rob040188
The language (@just4fun), particularly in the lazy way they insist on speaking it, creates its own inscrutableness.
What do you mean? This is their own country. Can’t they even speak their own language? Other then, ehm, some certain other countries, they sincerely do try to help people in English unless they are shy and embarrassed. In France for example some people refuse to speak English to help tourists even though they know it well for their own arrogance.

I don’t think its a problem per se if people come to another country not speaking the language, and i’m definitely not the kind of person who is anti immigration like “in some neighborhoods you don’t even hear our country’s language anymore, isn’t a disaster?!” But then people should at least be prepared for the obstacles like tourists should bring some translated sentences and immigrants should know someone who can translate for them in emergencies.
I think its rather lazy to just go to a country and expect everyone to speak English instead!

Oh I know this one.
It's the one where you can participate in free bareback gang-bangs in a well hidden spacious backroom.

Post anything you want on this topic.

For my part, 7-11 is a useful store, but is this really the ideal location for one?

This store is located near Waseda station, which is full of students and is probably why they wanted this here.
But, it's in one room on the ground floor of an apartment building hidden by the surrounding fences.
That's what I call desperate.

View attachment 7801

THE LACK OF TRASH CANS.

In the train stations, that's partly due to the Sarin Gas attacks in 1994. After that, there were ZERO public trash cans for a long time until some train stations eventually started bringing them back. But, I think they realized that having less trash cans means less costs for cleaning up, so now they encourage everyone to take their own trash home.

I do agree that there should be more public trash cans, though. If there are going to be so many vending machines and food stores, they should provide someplace to throw the trash away.

THE LACK OF TRASH CANS.
In the train stations, that's partly due to the Sarin Gas attacks in 1994. After that, there were ZERO public trash cans for a long time until some train stations eventually started bringing them back. But, I think they realized that having less trash cans means less costs for cleaning up, so now they encourage everyone to take their own trash home.

I do agree that there should be more public trash cans, though. If there are going to be so many vending machines and food stores, they should provide someplace to throw the trash away.
I totally agree about the trashcans but when it frustrates me i always remind myself of the lack of public bathrooms in Europe and that if you find one at all, they cost money, which really adds up.

Better to keep carrying your trash around than having to keep walkinf with a full blather.

THE LACK OF TRASH CANS.

This has my vote for best answer so far. Even before the sarin gas terrorism, there were almost no public trash cans, and if you can find one, it is usually full to overflowing. The companion to not enough public trash cans is selling so many products in 3 or more layers of packaging and then giving it to you in a bag stuck inside a bigger bag. :confused:

-Ww

Fyi having a bunch of stores (7-11, mcdonalds, etc) in close proximity helps to lower distribution costs. If there is enough demand in a small area to supprt several conbini, it is cheaper to supply them all from the same delivery truck. So having them all together in one place makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Sterling
What do you mean? This is their own country. Can’t they even speak their own language?
Very few Japanese are willing or able to speak their language properly. Particularly in business and professional meetings most Japanese prefer to speak office slang. I think it's sad.

Reactions: TheScientist