Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

quick survey on Line by the Health Ministry
Just filled it now, takes only a minute

And it seems the reporters also used almost a minute to think about the results.

https://japantoday.com/category/nat...n-tokyo-have-at-least-one-coronavirus-symptom

How about an alternative heading? "Line survey finds 7% of the users who bothered to answer have at least one symptom that might indicate they have flu, hay fever, influenza or any other form of slight infection in their airways".

And it seems the reporters also used almost a minute to think about the results.

https://japantoday.com/category/nat...n-tokyo-have-at-least-one-coronavirus-symptom

How about an alternative heading? "Line survey finds 7% of the users who bothered to answer have at least one symptom that might indicate they have flu, hay fever, influenza or any other form of slight infection in their airways".

The survey was a good idea. But it seems poorly executed. Pretty poor response rate.

I read in the UK Telegraph that home test kits will be available soon on Amazon UK and at Boots pharmacy stores( the largest drug store in UK). These tests will be able to tell you if you have had the virus. I have had two "cold" viruses during this corona outbreak - back to 100% now. So just for my own curiousity, I wouldn't mind taking a home test when they become widely available, simply to see if I had covid-19.

Yeah...and it seems in Japan fucking everybody as hay fever. Same problem every year in spring. It's important to keep people informed, but I think the media is not doing the best job during this crisis...stay objective and don't try to get clicks by scaring people.

but I think the media is not doing the best job during this crisis...stay objective and don't try to get clicks by scaring people.

I think you have misunderstood. The job of the media is to get clicks and the best way to do that is to scare people. So this far they have been doing a splendid job.

Reactions: Karbon and Frenchy
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get everyone riled. I assumed the joke about cheap Alibaba ventilators and test kits would indicate I was being sarcastic. I guess I only saw my own humour in that. I've not had any symptoms and am practicing good social distancing and sanitation methods at home and when I go out. Again, sorry, my humour didn't come off as obvious as I had expected. But at least some good info was posted in response.

Reactions: Sudsy
Been checking out the Instagram stories and Twitter feeds of friends in Japan and its fucking bonkers how so many people are still out and about drinking, at clubs and at karaoke.

Being in one of the worst hit areas in the states and seeing this makes me worry for ya’ll who are over there.

Yeah...and it seems in Japan fucking everybody as hay fever.
This is honestly why we're seeing a rise in cases - I forgot my hand wipes when I went to the bank today, and not rubbing my itchy, itchy eyes until I could clean my hands was pure torture.

I’m really going for bottom of the barrel stuff now...
... which is bullshit, if its really the end of the world why am I not splurging on the luxury items?
I guess its because Im a saint who wants to feel closer to the common people (cue Pulp).
Yeah, must be that...

4F4756BC-289D-46E5-AE2E-386F1DD16A81.jpeg

Reactions: split and Majestyk
ROCK-GUT liquor! You need to stop being cheap and break open that stockpile of Martell Cordon Bleu Extra Old you're holding hostage. You could die tomorrow, share some with me and we die together.
I don't understand what the crazy news I'm seeing in The U.S. about not enough masks. Why don't they have a machine with individual compartments to place face masks in which would expose them to UV light? I need to build this now.

Last edited:
Reactions: just4fun
Just did some crude calculations based on reported cases and death worldwide. They already have 4.9% (??) fatality rate including all countries (worldometers.info). I removed China entirely for cases and deaths as I don't trust those numbers a bit. Maybe should do the same for Iran. Based on the current 877k cases - China cases, and the current 43k deaths - China deaths, the fatality rate for all countries comes a hairline above 5% (again ??). But imagine if the actual death rate is 1 to 2% as it has been estimated to be, not to mention media reports not testing everyone which already should have drawn down that 1.5% fatality rate they claimed. That means we'd have had already 2.6M worldwide cases to be at 1.5%. I'm not sure where I'm calculating this wrong or what?

Last edited:
Just did some crude calculations based on reported cases and death worldwide. They already have 4.9% (??) fatality rate including all countries (worldometers.info). I removed China entirely for cases and deaths as I don't trust those numbers a bit. Maybe should do the same for Iran. Based on the current 877k cases - China cases, and the current 43k deaths - China deaths, the fatality rate for all countries comes a hairline above 5% (again ??). But imagine if the actual death rate is 1 to 2% as it has been estimated to be, not to mention media reports not testing everyone which already should have drawn down that 1.5% fatality rate they claimed. That means we'd have had already 2.6M worldwide cases to be at 1.5%. I'm not sure where I'm calculating this wrong or what?

The calculations for fatality are all over the place at the moment. This is because none of the data available is reliable and moreover all the countries do the testing and also the stats differently.

The place where they have tested most per capita show around 1% mortality. Iceland 0.2%, Luxembourg 1.1%, and our own Diamond Princess 1%.

So at the moment everything depends on how you select the data you use and how do you select to present it. For example Italy is now the hotspot for corona with 12 thousand deaths. Terrible, but then again in 2013 they had 20 thousand deaths attributed to the seasonal influenza and around 15 thousand in any normal year. Now do we say we should not be that scare of corona or that we should be way more scared of the influenza than we are?

I see your point about Italy, but when does the seasonal flu data run from? Is it on a calendar year or a fiscal year ( U.S....haha)? If on a calendar year, then the first quarter of Coronavirus has made a good punt in Italy in the first quarter. My point is all data from that website is supposedly what has been reported in worldwide cases & fatalities. I assume if any country suspects there is a coronavirus case or fatality, they will publish it. Although, I'm not considering that they may misdiagnose cases of Flu as Coronavirus in those numbers. Those numbers still come to 5%. So where is all this <2% fatality rate coming from?

Last edited:
I see your point about Italy, but when does the seasonal flu data run from? Is it on a calendar year or a fiscal year ( U.S....haha)? If on a calendar year, then the first quarter of Coronavirus has made a good punt in Italy in the first quarter. My point is all data from that website is supposedly what has been reported in worldwide cases & fatalities. I assume if any country suspects there is a coronavirus case or fatality, they will publish it. Although, I'm not considering that they may misdiagnose cases of Flu as Coronavirus in those numbers. Those numbers still come to 5%. So where is all this <2% fatality rate coming from?
Germany has over 60k cases and around 600death. Not such a bad sample? They also have it spread among the demographics very similar to what we see reported in recent numbers from Japan, therefore the majority of cases between 20 and 60. Most death however are from the 80+ crowd. They also have like 5times the ICU of Italy or the UK.
Unlike especially in Italy, Spain and parts of France the hospitals are not overrun yet. Combine that with more tests of light or asymptomatic cases and you arrive at about 1%.

Reactions: MikeH
Thanks, and yes good sample size. Korea at 10k at 1.6% and Taiwan at 329 cases at 1.5% seems to show that trend in sample size. Despite those 2 counties having arguably a higher standard of quality than Germany and being proactive and pre-emptive at the onset of the spread within Wuhan, that large sample size would seem to make a difference.

Last edited:
If I looked at stats I would try to segment according to population density & separate countries in Asia. Perhaps the masks do help with prevention.

This paper in the Lancet gives some insight into how they run the numbers in these models.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200329_01/

Non-Japanese speakers who want advice on the new coronavirus can call hotlines run by the Japan Tourism Agency and some local governments.

The agency offers consultation services in English, Chinese, and Korean for 24 hours every day. The number is 050-3816-2787.

The hotline was launched in 2018 to assist tourists in the event of disasters and other emergencies.

Agency officials say they had about 4,500 consultations dealing with the coronavirus as of last Sunday.

The Tokyo metropolitan government has set up a coronavirus call center, which offers advice in English, Chinese, and Korean. The number is 0570-550571. It's available from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day.

Tokyo officials say they received 246 calls in foreign languages through last Sunday. The non-Japanese service became available on February 28.

The officials say many callers were worried that they might have been infected with the coronavirus, or seeking advice on prevention and treatment of infection.

Tokyo also offers telephone consultations on medical services in English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, and Spanish.

Officials say they have received calls from people who want to be tested for the virus, and who were asked by their employers to present certificates to prove they are not infected.

Those who are suspected of infection should contact a local health care office. But officials there do not necessarily speak a foreign language.

---
@split Please call the numbers above. You need to be referred to a designated hospital by them. Not all the hospitals are administering the test. Wish you the best of luck.

@just4fun did you see Ken's post above re testing

Reactions: just4fun
@just4fun did you see Ken's post above re testing
I'm just getting the runaround...........I think they want to see you almost dead before they decide to see you.

I'm just getting the runaround...........I think they want to see you almost dead before they decide to see you.
So put on corpsepaint before you go....

99eb50585590ce7772e50ffdc838bb88465d8234_00.jpg

I read something similar. With this news, I can't see how anyone would want to go outside and interact with people...

Reactions: split