Guest viewing is limited

Even After X amount of years in Japan I'll never get used to____

Taken out of context, that’s truly a disturbing achievement.
Yeah, well I may have actually preferred having sex with the grand-ma than picking her bones with chopsticks. I was really shocked by the ritual.

Reactions: Sudsy
I was really shocked by the ritual.

I had never even been in an open casket funeral before so yeah, the first time was not easy. But as @Durg50 said I think the whole thing with the wake and then the cremation does give everyone closure much better than anything we do in Europe.

Though I will be just OK if I don't have to do any funerals of any kind any time soon. As said I am running out of friends pretty fast, my oldest friends back from the day I moved in to Japan are pretty much now all gone.

Reactions: Frenchy
Our washing machine is on constantly (including overnight) and 90% of the time it's not my clothes. It's not a matter of just setting a timer. It's needing the damn wash/dry cycles to be shorter.

Japan needs separate washer/dryers, and they need 200V dryers like we have in the US.

200V dyers are available in the market, but you need to get a single-phase three-wire system 単相3線式 available at your home. Your local 電気設備会社 can work on that.

Or you can try your local Joyful Honda? A washer/dyer in their laundry is cheap and powerful though they don't offer wash and fold services.

Bowing in front of an elevator.
You can give me anything I'll never do that.

Nobody is going to give you anything to do that. But suck dick or bow in front of the elevator? Now I knew I got you. :p

I am fucking bowing in the telephone. When I calling my parents. :D

Reactions: Negi77 and Sudsy
200V dyers are available in the market, but you need to get a single-phase three-wire system 単相3線式 available at your home. Your local 電気設備会社 can work on that.

Or you can try your local Joyful Honda? A washer/dyer in their laundry is cheap and powerful though they don't offer wash and fold services.

We have laundromats closer than joyful honda. The nearest one is Inzai and that's an hour away easily.

The problem is having room for a separate dryer. Unless it's one that can be mounted over the washer.

In regards to funerals and ceremonies. I have been to 4 in Japan in the last 10 years. All people who I had very little if any attachment to. One was a relative who we saw once a year if that. Another was a relative locally who I had met once. The last was a relative I had never met, and then a year later that relative's wife who I had met once. For me, there was no mourning because I didn't have any emotional attachment to these people. I guess I was there for moral support. At least I am now well versed in the task of carrying bone via hashi.

What do they do with those after the cremation? That is very interesting.
Judging by the shape, they'd make a good door stop.

No idea what happened to it.

Same cremation, but they had her favorite hand bag in the coffin when the button was pushed. It disappeared but the bones in that area came out blue.

Airport tarmac staff waving good bye to planes.
Still a novelty to me, meaning I suppose I still haven't gotten used to it, but I kind of like it. If I have a window seat I like to wave back, and I always imagine that if there's a hot ground attendant in the waving group that she's seen me and I've made her day by actually waving back. Kind of like how when I used to work in fast food and I'd finish serving a customer with a friendly "Have a nice day" and instead of a grunt or blatantly ignoring me, they'd actually say something nice back. That used to make my day.

The above airport situation is probably pretty pathetic to many people, but whatever. We all have our quirks, I guess!

On a side note, @Rusty Trombone Mr. Trombone you sir have a bunch of great stories! I have a feeling that sitting down and chatting over a beer with you would never get boring! Same goes for plenty of other fellas on TAG.

On a side note, @Rusty Trombone Mr. Trombone you sir have a bunch of great stories! I have a feeling that sitting down and chatting over a beer with you would never get boring! Same goes for plenty of other fellas on TAG.
Why thank you sir. Most of my RL friends consider me full of shit.:poop:
I live in a small remote town, and it means when you do get out and about, you generally tend to send it big time.

Still a novelty to me, meaning I suppose I still haven't gotten used to it, but I kind of like it. If I have a window seat I like to wave back, and I always imagine that if there's a hot ground attendant in the waving group that she's seen me and I've made her day by actually waving back. Kind of like how when I used to work in fast food and I'd finish serving a customer with a friendly "Have a nice day" and instead of a grunt or blatantly ignoring me, they'd actually say something nice back. That used to make my day.

The above airport situation is probably pretty pathetic to many people, but whatever. We all have our quirks, I guess!

Are you Forrest Gump?

Grumpy Frenchy here...
Fed up with
57900802-700C-433E-A993-B39D99A5B8C0.jpeg
those restaurants where you have like 4 or 5 different menus . Keep it simple and save paper guys!
NOW I WANT A DIRT CHEAP JOINT WITH NO MENU AT ALL!!!
(And rude staff and an ugly mama-san with a wicked smile . Yeah, thats what I need now. Under a railroad. With piss smells and rats )

Last edited:
What do they do with those after the cremation? That is very interesting.
Depends on the family but typical Buddhist practice is the bone and dust jar sits on the butsudan shelf for a while and then gets dumped into the family grave...which is literally a box of bones and dust from generations past.
There are various ceremonies associated with the bone and dust dumping to assure appropriate karmic balance blah blah blah. And then usually a delicious meal and lots of booze.

Depends on the family but typical Buddhist practice is the bone and dust jar sits on the butsudan shelf for a while and then gets dumped into the family grave...which is literally a box of bones and dust from generations past.

Interestingly there is no law about what you can do with the jar. So you can basically just keep it at home forever.

Though if you don't have a family grave ready the graveyard administrators are calling you ever so often trying to sell you one.

Interestingly there is no law about what you can do with the jar.
There is one. You can’t bury it outside of a sanctioned grave plot.

Reactions: Ken1988 and MikeH
Interestingly there is no law about what you can do with the jar. So you can basically just keep it at home forever.

Though if you don't have a family grave ready the graveyard administrators are calling you ever so often trying to sell you one.

suspiciously good knowledge of what to do with the rests of a dead person o_O

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
suspiciously good knowledge of what to do with the rests of a dead person o_O

What do you think then that happened to your mother in law after you were finished with her?