Ex-PM Abe in critical condition after being shot while campaigning in Nara, Now Dead.

AsiaHand

TAG Member
Reaction score
Terrible situation, hope he pulls through. They already caught the shooter, ex-SDF with a homemade weapon.

Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, an arch-conservative and one of the country's most divisive figures, was shot and critically wounded during a campaign speech Friday in Nara. He was airlifted to a hospital but officials said he was not breathing and his heart had stopped.

https://japantoday.com/category/cri...person-with-shotgun-while-campaigning-in-Nara

Yes, we're all aware. Current official word is that he's in critical condition in a hospital ICU. Keeping this closed until there's confirmation on his status.

Thanks so much for sharing this news, I would never have known about this.

There’s a perfect video on Twitter! Shows the whole deal!
Twitter sorrowandpain

Oh man, yeah thats bad security. The way he staggers down is really sad. You never know how long you’ve got.
I agree but then again what's the chance of a shooting in this country. They were quasi prepared for an assault with a knife/bat. The guy with the bag/shield was a blink away from deflecting it.

Reactions: Durg50
I agree but then again what's the chance of a shooting in this country. They were quasi prepared for an assault with a knife/bat. The guy with the bag/shield was a blink away from deflecting it.
Yet from a security standpoint if you have 360° around the person you’re securing and looking outward this could’ve been prevented

Reactions: AsiaHand
Abe was the only PM I ever liked. A friend of mine assisted in hosting him while he was in town some years back. Said he was actually a really decent guy. Some people deserve to exit stage left like this but he wasn't one of them.

What do you want to bet an entire contingent of Japanese executive detail agents is getting shipped to FLETC or Quantico in the very near future for actual, useful defensive/security training from our guys? I saw a photo earlier today of the guard who physically got to the shooter first, and it was shocking--for one, his jacket had opened and revealed that he was carrying what was likely an antiquated, small-frame .38 revolver that I wouldn't carry even as a back-up, and on top of that he hadn't even drawn it. These idiots let a complete stranger with a "bag" walk up to a former PM and get off two...SLOW...shots before running over and trying to tackle him. That's almost as bad as a bunch of armed cops letting some armed nutjob waltz into a school and then waiting around outside for over a hour while he shoots the place up. Mass firings, if not prosecutions, are in order here.

Abe was the only PM I ever liked. A friend of mine assisted in hosting him while he was in town some years back. Said he was actually a really decent guy. Some people deserve to exit stage left like this but he wasn't one of them.

What do you want to bet an entire contingent of Japanese executive detail agents is getting shipped to FLETC or Quantico in the very near future for actual, useful defensive/security training from our guys? I saw a photo earlier today of the guard who physically got to the shooter first, and it was shocking--for one, his jacket had opened and revealed that he was carrying what was likely an antiquated, small-frame .38 revolver that I wouldn't carry even as a back-up, and on top of that he hadn't even drawn it. These idiots let a complete stranger with a "bag" walk up to a former PM and get off two...SLOW...shots before running over and trying to tackle him. That's almost as bad as a bunch of armed cops letting some armed nutjob waltz into a school and then waiting around outside for over a hour while he shoots the place up. Mass firings, if not prosecutions, are in order here.
Well said.

Second that!

According to the NY Times, Abe's security consisted of one armed SP (Security Police) officer and local Nara police officers (number unknown). Wikipedia says that the SPs carry Smith & Wesson Model 37 revolvers as well as the SIG Sauer P230, which the prefectural police also carry. I agree there will be a lot of discussions about how to overhaul their security operations. Someone's head will roll for this.

I saw a photo earlier today of the guard who physically got to the shooter first, and it was shocking--for one, his jacket had opened and revealed that he was carrying what was likely an antiquated, small-frame .38 revolver that I wouldn't carry even as a back-up, and on top of that he hadn't even drawn it. These idiots let a complete stranger with a "bag" walk up to a former PM and get off two...SLOW...shots before running over and trying to tackle him. That's almost as bad as a bunch of armed cops letting some armed nutjob waltz into a school and then waiting around outside for over a hour while he shoots the place up. Mass firings, if not prosecutions, are in order here.

Reactions: Keihan
According to the NY Times, Abe's security consisted of one armed SP (Security Police) officer and local Nara police officers (number unknown). Wikipedia says that the SPs carry Smith & Wesson Model 37 revolvers as well as the SIG Sauer P230, which the prefectural police also carry. I agree there will be a lot of discussions about how to overhaul their security operations. Someone's head will roll for this.
I thought that they already did this due to a previous incident. And where was that one SP that was supposed to be protecting him? It’s not clear where his personal guard was standing.

That's absolutely insane. The Model 37 is a 1950's era revolver that was the "light" version of the Model 36, commonly known as the "Chief's Special." It was a tiny, underpowered little revolver carried by detectives who didn't want the bulk of a proper firearm since they weren't walking the beat any longer. I actually own a Model 637, which is the modern version of the 37 made from lightweight alloy with proper rubber grips and safety mechanisms, but I bought that solely as a back-up CCW or for situations where I absolutely couldn't conceal a standard 9mm compact (my Glock 19 or M&PC). For example, I wore that under a t-shirt for two years in college and nobody on campus had a clue. But NOBODY in a high-risk, high-threat employment situation should be carrying a 5-shot snubnose revolver. Ever.

Even worse is the Sig P230, which was initially introduced back in the 70s and then "re-introduced" as a wonderful CCW revelation back in the late 90s when I got into firearms, but it was quickly concluded that it was woefully underpowered, being chambered in the pathetic caliber of .380acp (or even worse, .32) and simply lacked the muzzle energy to effectively stop threats, even at close distance. Most of the CCW community wrote it off and it never sold well in the states. As I recall, it was considered by some women to be a great "purse gun" but then anyone who carries a CCW in a purse needs to attend a proper training program.

The unfortunate Catch-22 with Japan being such a safe country is that people live in a bubble and behave accordingly. Nobody, even cops, expects this kind of thing to happen, whereas in the states it's almost preordained. I'll admit, even I let my guard down somewhat when I'm in Japan, but not completely. You never know when some deranged nutjob thinks the Buddha wants him to set off molotov cocktails on the subway or plant a pressure cooker on the train platform. And when someone is batshit nuts or committed enough, as evidenced by what happened this week, all the gun laws in the world aren't going to stop a gun murder.

The sad part, at least for Japanese, is that this has truly stolen some of their naivete and innocence. Say what you want about America, but nobody has been able to just casually walk up to an American political leader in public and blast him up close since the Ford Theater over 150 years ago...although you could make an argument about Bobby Kennedy. But for better or worse, this is going to change Japan permanently.

That's absolutely insane. The Model 37 is a 1950's era revolver that was the "light" version of the Model 36, commonly known as the "Chief's Special." It was a tiny, underpowered little revolver carried by detectives who didn't want the bulk of a proper firearm since they weren't walking the beat any longer. I actually own a Model 637, which is the modern version of the 37 made from lightweight alloy with proper rubber grips and safety mechanisms, but I bought that solely as a back-up CCW or for situations where I absolutely couldn't conceal a standard 9mm compact (my Glock 19 or M&PC). For example, I wore that under a t-shirt for two years in college and nobody on campus had a clue. But NOBODY in a high-risk, high-threat employment situation should be carrying a 5-shot snubnose revolver. Ever.

Even worse is the Sig P230, which was initially introduced back in the 70s and then "re-introduced" as a wonderful CCW revelation back in the late 90s when I got into firearms, but it was quickly concluded that it was woefully underpowered, being chambered in the pathetic caliber of .380acp (or even worse, .32) and simply lacked the muzzle energy to effectively stop threats, even at close distance. Most of the CCW community wrote it off and it never sold well in the states. As I recall, it was considered by some women to be a great "purse gun" but then anyone who carries a CCW in a purse needs to attend a proper training program.

The unfortunate Catch-22 with Japan being such a safe country is that people live in a bubble and behave accordingly. Nobody, even cops, expects this kind of thing to happen, whereas in the states it's almost preordained. I'll admit, even I let my guard down somewhat when I'm in Japan, but not completely. You never know when some deranged nutjob thinks the Buddha wants him to set off molotov cocktails on the subway or plant a pressure cooker on the train platform. And when someone is batshit nuts or committed enough, as evidenced by what happened this week, all the gun laws in the world aren't going to stop a gun murder.

The sad part, at least for Japanese, is that this has truly stolen some of their naivete and innocence. Say what you want about America, but nobody has been able to just casually walk up to an American political leader in public and blast him up close since the Ford Theater over 150 years ago...although you could make an argument about Bobby Kennedy. But for better or worse, this is going to change Japan permanently.
I get what you mean, but Ford is related to the up close and personal era of politics. That’s one thing that makes Japan unique. As for how Abe was shot, it’s merely the same as Reagan, right? In Ford’s day security wasn’t even a thing, by Reagan it was the thing. Reagan’s security slipped up the same as in this case. I’d equate this more to Reagan than Ford, in terms of the last time. As for the beefing up of security after the fact, that would be Ford. That made the Reagan attack all the more shocking. The only other POTUS that had an issue (non shooting) was Bill Clinton during an Africa tour.

It's not even about the guns the guards are or are not carrying, after the first shot there should have been Abe himself face on the ground tackled there by two of his guards both laying on top of him.

Instead everyone, including Abe himself, turned towards the attacker and just looked him blasting the second shot.

It's not even about the guns the guards are or are not carrying, after the first shot there should have been Abe himself face on the ground tackled there by two of his guards both laying on top of him.

Instead everyone, including Abe himself, turned towards the attacker and just looked him blasting the second shot.
We are always taught to move away from the sounds of gunfire and blasts. At least that’s how I was trained.

MikeH is correct.

As for POTUS records, Reagan was the last to be shot. The others, like Clinton and Bush, were by other means and all related to OBL.

Weirdest location to do anything let alone for a former PM to make a speech. Literally a sitting duck.

Reactions: Cinnabums

Not sure a better/newer gun model would have changed anything
But doing nothing after the first shot is unbelievable
Also apparently nobody noticed before the facts that the guy was caught on security cameras getting in and out of various shops around , studying the best angle etc . Hindsight is easy , I know, but come on Japan… this country is obsessed about avoiding risks , not getting into “abunai” situations , and this can still happen

Not sure a better/newer gun model would have changed anything
But doing nothing after the first shot is unbelievable
Also apparently nobody noticed before the facts that the guy was caught on security cameras getting in and out of various shops around , studying the best angle etc . Hindsight is easy , I know, but come on Japan… this country is obsessed about avoiding risks , not getting into “abunai” situations , and this can still happen

Oh no, of course not. The problem here was lack of training/response/protocol. My point was just that if you're going to engage an armed subject and neutralize a threat through the use of a firearm, a double-action snub revolver is NOT the weapon you want to be using. Protective details like the Secret Service are not bound by the same rules of engagement as civilians--they can and will engage a subject from three or three hundred yards and it's no issue so long as the figure under protection is safe. The agents on Abe's details should have identified the threat long before he got anywhere near him and could/should have put multiple rounds in him long before he even shouldered that shotgun. I don't know if you have experience firing revolvers vs pistols, but to that end, a revolver is a horrible choice for distance and/or repeat/rapid firing, and a proper striker-fired pistol (like a Glock) is far more accurate and effective. That Model 37, which Abe's detail carry and a variant of which I own, is meant for last-ditch, up-close desperate physical altercations. I don't think a single law enforcement agency in America still issues revolvers, and it's been that way for over thirty years.

Obviously it's a moot point here since Abe's moron detail didn't even respond, but assuming this agency seeks out assistance from real law enforcement agencies here in the U.S., those idiots are going to have to train with and carry proper pistol. And, sadly, this is going to forever change how the Japanese people are able to interact with their elected officials. This truly was an Innocence Lost incident. I've had to deal with security protocols for events with POTUS or presidential candidates, and it's absolutely mind-numbing, especially if you want to be one of the idiots that meets the guy for that handshake photo to masturbate to later on.

Oh no, of course not. The problem here was lack of training/response/protocol. My point was just that if you're going to engage an armed subject and neutralize a threat through the use of a firearm, a double-action snub revolver is NOT the weapon you want to be using. Protective details like the Secret Service are not bound by the same rules of engagement as civilians--they can and will engage a subject from three or three hundred yards and it's no issue so long as the figure under protection is safe. The agents on Abe's details should have identified the threat long before he got anywhere near him and could/should have put multiple rounds in him long before he even shouldered that shotgun. I don't know if you have experience firing revolvers vs pistols, but to that end, a revolver is a horrible choice for distance and/or repeat/rapid firing, and a proper striker-fired pistol (like a Glock) is far more accurate and effective. That Model 37, which Abe's detail carry and a variant of which I own, is meant for last-ditch, up-close desperate physical altercations. I don't think a single law enforcement agency in America still issues revolvers, and it's been that way for over thirty years.

Obviously it's a moot point here since Abe's moron detail didn't even respond, but assuming this agency seeks out assistance from real law enforcement agencies here in the U.S., those idiots are going to have to train with and carry proper pistol. And, sadly, this is going to forever change how the Japanese people are able to interact with their elected officials. This truly was an Innocence Lost incident. I've had to deal with security protocols for events with POTUS or presidential candidates, and it's absolutely mind-numbing, especially if you want to be one of the idiots that meets the guy for that handshake photo to masturbate to later on.

Well, Abe was “only” ex-PM
We can only assume that Kishida is better protected
What I find incredible is that the guy apparently said he wanted to kill a Moonie boss first but he found it easier to go after Abe. Wow !

What I find incredible is that the guy apparently said he wanted to kill a Moonie boss first but he found it easier to go after Abe. Wow !
The backstory on this unification "church" and his mother is rather incredible. The news tonight said something along the lines that she had committed 1oku yen (100m yen /~729,500 usd in today's FX rate) to this "church".
She apparently had sold family property that wasn't even hers to sell and had asked other family members for more money to give to the church so that "they" would take care of her.

The deceased leader's wife had visited Japan ~3 years ago before corona and this guy that shot Abe-san apparently tried to get access to her but was denied since he himself wasn't a member.

I think there will be more investigation about the church now that more is coming out about the backstory. At the end, I think Abe-san was a illegitimate target, but an opportune choice at the time (in his eyes).