Favorite Romantic Comedy Films

rob040188

TAG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is already a post on TAG about Romantic Comedies. Love stories can be a bit too serious, especially the Nicholas Sparks kind [he tends to kill one his main characters]
My favorite Rom-Com Films are:
1) Nottinghill
2) Four Weddings and a Funeral
3) The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
[Ok, all 3 are Hugh Grant films, essentially he played the same character]
4) There's Something About Mary
5) The Truman Show [Not sure if this is really a rom-com, Although there is very little interaction between Natascha Mcelhone's and Jim Carrey's characters. She is the driving force for him to leave the "set"]
6) Bridesmaids [technically, not a rom-com. but there is a wedding in the film, hence the title. Also, Melissa McCarthy is really funny.]

Austin Powers 2: The Spy who Shagged Me - Corny, but the best of the trilogy and Heather Graham was at her peak.

Romancing the Stone: A forgotten classic directed by Robert Zemeckis and staring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in their heyday.

The Princess Bride: How this is not on your list in inconceivable!

Love Actually: A lot of it is really corny and cliche, but it has many sweet moments.

You have a nice list, but I still cringe when Julia Roberts is practicing her script lines in Nottinghill. The lines are so cliche and out of place that they take away from the scene and you can tell the screen writer has a strong bias against American culture. (He actually does the same thing in Love Actually)

I don't really watch this genre, but i did enjoy '50 first dates' like Alice mentioned.

And Yes I agree she has some similarities with Heather Graham. Especially when looking at this pic:
celebrity-trends-2014-06-heather-graham-die-hard-premiere-1988.jpg

A couple other Drew Barrymore rom com I enjoyed are “wedding singer” and “never been kissed”. I was watching the later in a plane and started crying at the end. Maybe I could relate too much with the theme.

Going back a few years more “sixteen candles”, “pretty in pink”, and “some kind of wonderful”. Pretty much the same premise for each flick but fun none the less. Awesome sounds tracks too.

Almost forgot one of my favorites, “can’t buy me love”. Got to love when the geeky guy gets the babe. That geeky guy sure turned out to be a prince charming in his later years.

Reactions: rob040188
my bad. I can't really remember this film. I do remember that Mandy Patinkin was in this film. And he had an epic sword fight at the end.

No hard feelings. I was just teasing you because "inconceivable" is a catchphrase in the film.

Reactions: rob040188
some kind of wonderful
Among John Hughes' films this is my fave. Eric Stoltz character realizes that his female bestfriend is the one for him. Which was unexpected cause he was pining for the dream girl (marty mcfly's mom, I forgot the actress' name
“can’t buy me love”. Got to love when the geeky guy gets the babe.
Did you mean Can't Hardly Wait, Jennifer Love Hewitt as the dream babe at an HS party?

Me, You, and Everyone we know, I really adore Miranda July, she writes, directs, and stars in the film. She's also written two short books that are just so lovely. Her work is genuinely hilarious and emotional simultaneously.

Is Pretty Woman too cliche an answer ? Lol. I just love girls with giant mouths and Julia Roberts in those thigh high boots and the body con dress with the cut outs is such an iconic look.

Also...does Natural Born Killers count ? It's dark comedy but so romantic. In the same vein, True Romance.

Also :

10 Things I Hate About You
Harold & Maude
Before Sunrise
(the sequel is sweet too, but the third one is hard to watch for me)
Submarine
Clueless
Grease
The Princess Bride

But I must say I'm not much of a romantic comedy kind of girl. It's not my ideal genre for a movie night. I don't like them that much. I prefer science fiction, thriller, animated movies, crime, disaster and fantasy movies.

I don't know if there is already a post on TAG about Romantic Comedies. Love stories can be a bit too serious, especially the Nicholas Sparks kind [he tends to kill one his main characters]
My favorite Rom-Com Films are:
1) Nottinghill
2) Four Weddings and a Funeral
3) The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
[Ok, all 3 are Hugh Grant films, essentially he played the same character]
4) There's Something About Mary
5) The Truman Show [Not sure if this is really a rom-com, Although there is very little interaction between Natascha Mcelhone's and Jim Carrey's characters. She is the driving force for him to leave the "set"]
6) Bridesmaids [technically, not a rom-com. but there is a wedding in the film, hence the title. Also, Melissa McCarthy is really funny.]
Lots of great films listed here. I love the move Ruby Sparks, starring Zoe Kazan, who also wrote the screenplay. It’s a unique film, a different kind of romantic comedy, but both funny and deeply romantic. It’s also a moving philosophical take on the meaning and nature of love. At least I think so.