Guest viewing is limited

Suggestion Foreigner tax as a yes/no question when writing a review?

Ken4fb

MMF / MMFF members wanted. Ping me if you are keen
Reaction score
How about adding Gaijin tax as a yes/no question when writing a review for a shop? We can keep the data and make the search easier if someone want to search for shops with no Gaijin tax.

I understand that the policy could change and sometimes (most of the time?) it depends on who is managing the shop at the time.

I also think it would help to make it more prominent.....it is a pretty important deciding factor to visit a soapland or not.

I think what makes it a bit problematic that people often write reviews and just mention the overall price and don't break down what fees were added. Especially if it's reviews from people who went their first time this information often gets lost.

I don't think people may know whether gaijin tax is included sometimes....but the times where people point it out, they're very sure it exists. Idk if having people answer yes/no to this would be beneficial, since there may be a lot of false negatives if people don't know what to look for.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
I don't think people may know whether gaijin tax is included sometimes....but the times where people point it out, they're very sure it exists. Idk if having people answer yes/no to this would be beneficial, since there may be a lot of false negatives if people don't know what to look for.

It's tricky for sure...especially in cases where people don't pay a regular everyday prices. As far as I remember there are a few reviews of Versailles where people negotiated prices with varying outcome. Hard to put down what the gaijin tax was in these cases 😅

A number of us tend to do a breakdown when we write in the price (initial price, room cost, travel cost, nomination fee, special deals, etc) which would include the gaijin tax if charged.

A number of us tend to do a breakdown when we write in the price (initial price, room cost, travel cost, nomination fee, special deals, etc) which would include the gaijin tax if charged.
Yes. The problem is there is no easy way to search for that at the moment, as far as I know.

This not my place though I have spent a considerable amount of time reading the reviews to understand the business better and it appears that a 'foreigner tax' is not the normal experience.
I have seen it occasionally mentioned but not very prevelant.

I've also edited the title to reflect the instructions given to reduce the use of the word 'gaijin'.

Another issue is your look and language ability, sometimes you could get in without if you can pass for Japanese or maybe the front staff working that day like you. So would the yes/no question be answered whether or not you actually got charged it or whether the shop charges it in general?

Some newbies may not know the answer if only shown one price list (the gaijin price list). So maybe yes/no/not sure would be better instead of just yes or no?

Since this is mainly relevant for soaplands, perhaps it can be it’s own column on the main soapland resource thread list when the Yoshiwara one eventually gets updated. Then we would have a centralized area to get that info. And the Kawasaki one too. @requiemmorrow and @Cinnabums thoughts?

Reactions: Cinnabums
This not my place though I have spent a considerable amount of time reading the reviews to understand the business better and it appears that a 'foreigner tax' is not the normal experience.
I have seen it occasionally mentioned but not very prevelant.

Not the normal experience? 😅

It is not very common when it comes to other P4P related services, but it is a absolutely common practice when it comes to soaplands.
Majority of soaplands that allow foreign customers charge it. It is a huge annoyance because it changes the price dynamic considerably and therefore is valuable information.

Not the normal experience? 😅

Yeah I would say it's not normal experience. I mean not for me at least.

I haven't been charged gaijin tax a single time in this century.

Is it my charming looks? Is it my better than native level linguistics abilities? Is it because TBO? Who really knows?

Though it might be because I never patronize shops that charge it.

Though it might be because I never patronize shops that charge it.

Yeah, but this is exactly the point of this thread. The shops I visit regularly also don't charge extra, but you never know if you want to try something new.
If reviews have a simple yes/no it could help to avoid shops that follow this practice.

If reviews have a simple yes/no it could help to avoid shops that follow this practice.

Though in reality it's about as simple as agreeing what "foreigner friendly" means.

While some shops charge extra from everyone who doesn't produce koseki going back several generations most are more varied and charge it only if you are non-speaker or don't speak fluently enough or are white or black or wear guy jeans or if the door man thinks you look like someone who is willing to pay it.

So I don't think a simple yes/no will cover it, you actually have to read them reviews.

Reactions: Ken1988
Does the store charge gaijin tax or do they charge you gaijin tax?

Example could be Happiness in Gotanda.
Book a slot and be a happy camper and pay what's written on local pricelist.
Do a walkin and they might charge you almost the double.

Another example, 39 in Yoshiwara.
Book a girl and pay local rates or do a walkin and an evil tout might slap 10,000yen on top.

Then you have the stores listed on City Heaven Traveller, sometimes +100% more if you book via that site for some stores.

So the yes or no would be for your session rather than the store which would make things rather confusing as a search option.

And the Kawasaki one too. @requiemmorrow and @Cinnabums thoughts?
Am yet to go to a store charging extra in Kawasaki. Cecil Plus does but sisterstore KiraJo doesn't and neither does difficult to enter NewYorkStyle.

Obviously it could be added as an extra row on the resource thread.

Apart from Cecil Plus I haven't heard about stores charging extra in Kawasaki.

Last edited:
I've also edited the title to reflect the instructions given to reduce the use of the word 'gaijin'.
Curious, may I ask why?

I have my ideas but would love to hear the reasoning behind this stance from admin.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlieSimms
Why? In this usage it's perfectly appropriate, as it's describing a racist policy.

Reactions: Cinnabums and MikeH
Does the store charge gaijin tax or do they charge you gaijin tax?

Example could be Happiness in Gotanda.
Book a slot and be a happy camper and pay what's written on local pricelist.
Do a walkin and they might charge you almost the double.

Another example, 39 in Yoshiwara.
Book a girl and pay local rates or do a walkin and an evil tout might slap 10,000yen on top.

Then you have the stores listed on City Heaven Traveller, sometimes +100% more if you book via that site for some stores.

So the yes or no would be for your session rather than the store which would make things rather confusing as a search option.
So let's revised the question a bit. It sounds more appropriate to ask "Did you pay gaijin tax ,and if so how much?"

I understand what you mean. The charge is random. In my case I booked the girl at Club39 via cityheaven. They charged me a normal price at the counter. Then another tencho saw me at the waiting room and decided to ask for more money because whatever.

I think I agree with this additional item…
I put to lower priorities in my “next go list” the places with gaijin tax…

Just simply compare the amount you paid with the one written in CH…

Reactions: Anon12345
They charged me a normal price at the counter. Then another tencho saw me at the waiting room and decided to ask for more money because whatever.
Would be tempted to cancel if I got that but I guess the initial payment wouldn't be returned under those circumstances.

Did you atleast question the idiot about it?

Reactions: CharlieSimms
That's a new one.
Yes. First time for me to be asked if I am a gaijin at the waiting room. Usually they will charge me at the counter or not charging at all.

Would be tempted to cancel if I got that but I guess the initial payment wouldn't be returned under those circumstances.

Did you atleast question the idiot about it?

I would have cancelled it if I hasn't been wanting to see this particular girl for about a month before that point. At the end it wasn't worth it, unfortunately.

If I walked out I am certain I will either get a refund or they will just change their mind about the gaijin tax. I was letting me lower head did the thinking at the time so I ended up paying extra 10K

Reactions: Cinnabums and MikeH
Yes. First time for me to be asked if I am a gaijin at the waiting room. Usually they will charge me at the counter or not charging at all.

I would have cancelled it if I hasn't been wanting to see this particular girl for about a month before that point. At the end it wasn't worth it, unfortunately.

If I walked out I am certain I will either get a refund or they will just change their mind about the gaijin tax. I was letting me lower head did the thinking at the time so I ended up paying extra 10K
Ouch an extra 10k. That's bollox all together. Where was that?

I was letting me lower head did the thinking at the time so I ended up paying extra 10K

And that is what they are counting for too. Brothers, we must stay strong and united to stop the abusive charges!

And also world peace would be nice.

Cecil plus tacked on extra 4000 yen of foreigner tax recently
I requested 60mins, thinking it would be 26000yen online (foreigner tax is 3000yen).
then they added an extra 4000 yen, the final total was 30,000 yen for 60mins(total foreigner tax is 7000 yen)
beware of Cecil plus!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Danbo and Doggyfong
Cecil plus tacked on extra 4000 yen of foreigner tax recently
I requested 60mins, thinking it would be 26000yen online (foreigner tax is 3000yen).
then they added an extra 4000 yen, the final total was 30,000 yen for 60mins(total foreigner tax is 7000 yen)
beware of Cecil plus!!!!

Ouch....if that's true, that really sucks. I mean they are one of the few shops in Kawasaki that charge a plus.
I paid 3k when I went and website still states something like this. If they really raised it another 4k it would make the place a nogo.

Really worrysome....I think that's the third shop within a shot timeframe people have reported about introduction or raise of gaijin tax.