Gifting Etiquette

Americanice

TAG Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I am new on this forum and have been spending the last couple hours browsing around reading reviews and getting a feel for how the different services work.

One thing I noticed that came up in a few reviews was the concept of a gift being given when spending time with an independent provider.

Unless I am mistaken, it sounded like they were referring to an actual gift in addition to the rate, is that something that is common? Or is it more of a, I’ll scratch your back situation?

Thank you for clarifying

Not really needed as it is (also a token) but if you form a good connection you might consider it when repeating.
I personally don't go over a thousand yen for chocolate or sweets, FYI

Makes sense, I pictured it like this, if you are doing a GFE sort of evening, it would be best to play your part as well. So gifting something that you’d give a gf on a nice evening helps set the tone.

Reactions: Alice
you know people sometimes bringing chocolate, peanuts, wine etc. (either they dont like coming empty handed or simply for ice breaking).

some providers have dietary restriction, such as nut allergy, alcohol allergy etc and they prefer tea for example.

make sure to check in provider page so that the gift not come to waste.

Reactions: maikeru and Alice
Do people typically bring edible things or items?
I often see in review people bringing chocolate from their country etc to SL ladies which usually later be passed to staff since the ladies are on diet, but really better check their wishlist to get idea on more appropriate gift on your first meeting. I heard about scented candle, unique bath bomb. I imagine decoration might just become waste due to lack of space or different taste.

you know people sometimes bringing chocolate, peanuts, wine etc. (either they dont like coming empty handed or simply for ice breaking).

some providers have dietary restriction, such as nut allergy, alcohol allergy etc and they prefer tea for example.

make sure to check in provider page so that the gift not come to waste.
The provider will just regift to a friend or another client if she can't use it. No worries. One lady I see on a regular basis always reciprocates and gives me a box of chocolates or other small gift, probably regifting from a client.

Thank you all for all the responses, it very much helps. The small gift giving culture is not present where I am from (pun intended) so this has been informative.

I will have to do some shopping and find something then, I wasn’t sure if something like a small bottle of hand lotion or something similar to that work? I was thinking about getting a small bottle of hand sanitizer that doubles as a hand lotion.

Thank you all for all the responses, it very much helps. The small gift giving culture is not present where I am from (pun intended) so this has been informative.

I will have to do some shopping and find something then, I wasn’t sure if something like a small bottle of hand lotion or something similar to that work? I was thinking about getting a small bottle of hand sanitizer that doubles as a hand lotion.
I use it for myself as it’s much better than normal hand sanitizer haha, but not sure if that would come off wrong

I use it for myself as it’s much better than normal hand sanitizer haha, but not sure if that would come off wrong
I personally don’t think it’s wrong. I love hand creams since showers make my hands feel dry. Not crazy about hand sanitizer for this same reason, but I know a lot of girls who have been absolutely addicted to hand sanitizer since the pandemic. I’m sure some girls would love it and I don’t think it’s a rude gesture even if they are not into it. 😊

As a general rule I would say bring salty liquorice, hard to find in Japan and very tasty.
Unironically YES PLEASE!!!

To north European clients though.

American liquorice is no good, but perhaps that’s not salty liquorice anyway.

• Love
Reactions: Cinnabums
Seems to me fruit is a good option? Last time I brought fruit the provider seemed very happy and shared it with me. At least I know it wasn’t re gifted.

As a general rule I would say bring salty liquorice, hard to find in Japan and very tasty.

I also love it, but I think outside of Europe not a lot of people appreciate it. American and Asien friends I gave some were always disgusted 🤣

To north European clients though.

American liquorice is no good, but perhaps that’s not salty liquorice anyway.
To American clients though.

European licorice is no good. At least the brand I’ve tried, the licorice taste was too weak. I want it to punch me in the face and then give me aftercare just like the Jellybelly brand does

To American clients though.

European licorice is no good. At least the brand I’ve tried, the licorice taste was too weak. I want it to punch me in the face and then give me aftercare just like the Jellybelly brand does
UK one tend to be mild, Scandinavian packs a punch.

I have only tried the red liquorice tubes from the US and they are absolutely disgusting, don’t taste anywhere close to what liquorice should taste like.

I have only tried the red liquorice tubes from the US and they are absolutely disgusting, don’t taste anywhere close to what liquorice should taste like.
IIRC, they’re supposed to be strawberry flavored and it is its own separate thing from real (black) licorice

European licorice is no good. At least the brand I’ve tried, the licorice taste was too weak.

Whut?....maybe in bizarro world.

Sure there are also some milder brands, but I think it doesn't get any stronger than the stuff that is sold in Scandinavia. Some is so strong and salty that you can barely eat it, even if you are used to the stronger stuff 😅

For a smaller gesture, if I'm meeting before the hotel, for hotelheru for example, I'll confirm if time has started, then invite them to grab a drink/snack from a nearby konbini to take with us. It's not much, but it's usually appreciated. A little kanpai is a nice way to start our time together.

My preference for gifting is to bring something that i think she'd appreciate and couldn't easily buy herself with the money i'm already giving her.
So it's usually something small from my home country.

For a first time meeting, i don't bother with any gifts. For good providers it won't make any difference anyway.

Reactions: maikeru
If I give something its pretty rare mostly because I travel very light and have no room for gifts.

The last gift I gave for example was a few sweet potato baked sweets already packaged together as a gift for like 800 yen or something. Since I was checking out Kawagoe (they love sweet potato for some reason, every Japanese town needs their thing I guess) the day before meeting a girl I figured I would grab the small gift because why not.

I tend to give the gift at the end. This is probably just me overthinking things but I just don't want to give the gift at the start and have it try to imply I want any sort of special treatment. Not that some less than 1000 yen sweets would imply anything, but again I overthink stuff.