Guest viewing is limited

Gyms in Tokyo

thepillow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have tips/advice for someone from the USA wanting to workout at a gym while in Tokyo? My plan is to join my local Anytime Fitness here in the US and then use that membership at their Akasaka location.

My understanding is that I should bring gym shoes separate from my street shoes, plus my own towel. Do they have lockers that can be used? Do I need a lock? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

My understanding is that I should bring gym shoes separate from my street shoes, plus my own towel. Do they have lockers that can be used? Do I need a lock? Anything else I should know?

Anytime Fitness gyms that i've used never had 'lockers' as they only have open/shared spaces. I had a small tote bag where I put my phone and wallet, and carry that with me together with my water bottle.

Gold's Gym have lockers.

Street shoes are fine at Anytime. Remember that all tattoos must be covered at all times. Bring your own towel etc., and there is no drinking water on site at many branches - bring your own or buy from the vending machine.

There are no lockers (unless you’re renting one monthly) but the storage areas are under video surveillance and everyone in the facility has their ID logged on entry. I’ve never heard of anyone having something stolen there, and I’ve been a member for more than a decade.

Otherwise, be sure you get your membership early enough that you’re not still locked to one store when you arrive (one month lockout period).

Thanks for the info! This is super helpful.

@Sudsy When I called my local Anytime they told me they ended that 30 day lockout policy this summer (I asked specifically because I saw it on their website). The woman seemed very confident, so fingers crossed that she is correct.

Reactions: Maxblack and Alice
Any Joyfit24 users here? I have been wondering how they compare to Anytime...

Thanks for the info! This is super helpful.

@Sudsy When I called my local Anytime they told me they ended that 30 day lockout policy this summer (I asked specifically because I saw it on their website). The woman seemed very confident, so fingers crossed that she is correct.
Japan still has it last I looked.

Reactions: Maxblack
Japan still has it last I looked.
@thepillow Just checked with my branch on the way home and that rule has been abolished in Japan as well. Can use other stores from Day 1.

Any Joyfit24 users here? I have been wondering how they compare to Anytime...
It depends on the branch. My local joyfit is great. Two squat racks, a third barbell, a proper leg press, lots of plate-bearing machines and tons of old-people weight machines if that is your bag lol etc. I would generally recommend it over anytime fitness unless your local branch of joyfit is crap and anytime is good.

It depends on the branch. My local joyfit is great. Two squat racks, a third barbell, a proper leg press, lots of plate-bearing machines and tons of old-people weight machines if that is your bag lol etc. I would generally recommend it over anytime fitness unless your local branch of joyfit is crap and anytime is good.
My Anytime has a trio of Instagram girls that like to show up around the time when I work out (not crowded, before staff hours)

My Joyfit has a figure competitor who turns up on Fridays for training by one of the few roid-heads I know of in Japan. She is fucking astonishing looking. He is also a good guy.
(I think there are probably 4-5 younger guys who are using roids too, but I wouldn't describe them as roid-heads given that their results are awful lol. Mostly just acne and reasonably sized biceps.)

Reactions: Maxblack and Sudsy
My Anytime has a trio of Instagram girls that like to show up around the time when I work out (not crowded, before staff hours)

The only attractive looking person in my gym is a very fit gay guy and I am very grateful of that. My results are bad enough without any external distractions.

Thanks again @Sudsy! Hit the Anytime yesterday in Akasaka with no issues at all. Street shoes were fine and my key fob worked like a charm. Jet lag helped me get there at 6:30am and it was almost empty - very busy by 7:30am though. Very nice equipment in a well laid out space.

Only real issue with anytime is that no chalk allowed, or atleast thats The case where im member.

no chalk allowed

That's the case in most Japanese gyms. It's messy and they don't like having to clean it up.

Wrist wraps or grip hooks are the usual solution.

Holy fuck man. I have been coming to this gym for probably nearly ten years and in all that time I have never had to deal with western style douchebaggery where people leave weights lying around or mistaking equipment etc.

Now there appears to be a member who is just putting whatever weights he uses wherever the fuck he likes and it is doing my fucking nut in.

Now I have to wander around the place to look for the right weights.

One of the best things about going to the gym in Japan negated in an instant by some fucking douchebag - probably one of the grunting, clanging teenagers from the local university, who mostly spend their time looking at their abs in the mirror and doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

Sigh.

Reactions: Alice and Maxblack
a member who is just putting whatever weights he uses wherever the fuck he likes
Talk to the staff.

There was a guy like that at my gym. A few words to staff, quick review of the CCTV and they identified him (new foreign member :mad: ) and cautioned him.

He didn't get the message, and a couple warnings later he had his membership revoked.

doing bicep curls in the squat rack

They were also good about putting signage up about THAT issue. :)

Edit: They do provide a shorty (1.2M) straight curl bar though.... lots of gyms don't have those.

Last edited:
doing bicep curls in the squat rack.
The gym I frequent has two squat racks (also a Smith machine which I'll never use) that has a sign up with 40 minute limit. I can't bitch about what the people do with the time allowed, but usually don't have to wait much either.

Reactions: Sudsy
Talk to the staff.

There was a guy like that at my gym. A few words to staff, quick review of the CCTV and they identified him (new foreign member :mad: ) and cautioned him.

He didn't get the message, and a couple warnings later he had his membership revoked.

The staff here are usually pretty good at sorting this sort of stuff out actually so I might wait a while and see if they fix it before I talk to them. Another reason I fucking love this gym (two squat racks and two smith machines - that I will also never use, lol - are two more reasons...).

I also keep winning prizes in their random lotteries. Although this month's is a bit more challenging - we have to guess a keyword with five characters, with one character being revealed per week. So far we have や and ま.

Anyone got any ideas lol?

Reactions: Sudsy
Anyone got any ideas lol?
Well, if I was to have my two favourite girls 69 while I rogered one I could get my balls licked mid....

Oh wait, you meant about the puzzle.

Out of curiosity, what's the average monthly membership fee for a decent gym chain? I've read Gold Gym is somewhere around 10k a month, and if that's the case, one of the more expensive apartments on my list becomes slightly cheaper with their fitness center on premises.

Out of curiosity, what's the average monthly membership fee for a decent gym chain? I've read Gold Gym is somewhere around 10k a month, and if that's the case, one of the more expensive apartments on my list becomes slightly cheaper with their fitness center on premises.
7-15k, higher end is if you want a pool.

Just remember that if you have tattoos you’re pretty much limited to Anytime Fitness.