Guest viewing is limited

Gyms in Tokyo

100kg bench (i assume you are talking bench here) is pretty damn good for an asian english teacher that got black out drunk regularly and carries around a beer in his bag at all times. Dont be so hard in yourself.

Oh no, I'm talking two plates total, as in the 45-pound bar and two 45-pound plates. What is that...around 60kg?

That said, before COVID ruined everything I was still benching a pretty respectable load at my age. My third set was pounding four plates (225lbs, so I guess around 100kg?) ten times, and then doing fist bumps with all the other middle-aged losers at the gym at 10am, trying to re-live their 20s. Then we all hang out in the corner near the squat racks, talking really loudly about hitting pussy, as if any of us actually still gets any.

Reactions: Maxblack and MikeH
Oh no, I'm talking two plates total, as in the 45-pound bar and two 45-pound plates. What is that...around 60kg?

That said, before COVID ruined everything I was still benching a pretty respectable load at my age. My third set was pounding four plates (225lbs, so I guess around 100kg?) ten times, and then doing fist bumps with all the other middle-aged losers at the gym at 10am, trying to re-live their 20s. Then we all hang out in the corner near the squat racks, talking really loudly about hitting pussy, as if any of us actually still gets any.
Three sets of ten reps at 225 sounds like a max bench of 280 pounds. Damn good ay any age.

Reactions: Keihan and Sudsy
100kg bench is good for anyone at any reps. Just because there are a ton of roid monsters in western gyms and online who routinely bench more than that, (and the NFL combine or whatever they call it, lol - like a human chemistry set) in the real world, it's pretty rare, and if you can bench 100kg for even one rep you are strong. Repping 10 reps is pretty monstrous.

(I remember one of the Japanese soccer players who went to the Premier League couldn't even bench 80kg when he went over there, lol.)

if you can bench 100kg for even one rep you are strong.

Nyah, I am just fat. I mean I am not even benching my own body weight.

Reactions: Tabanico
Even without the pandemic, my days of benching heavier weights were numbered. Just prior to COVID I screwed up my shoulders and was sent to PT, where I was told I'm no longer allowed to properly bench-press and lower the bar all the way down to my chest. These days, I do these embarrassing half-reps and never go above 185lbs. Whereas my gym workouts were once 6 days/week and almost 2hrs each, I now show up at the gym twice or thrice in any given week for a 25min workout and then bail, not even long enough to admire all the 20-somethings at the squat racks. My longest workouts are long, slow jogs with all the senior citizens. Getting old fucking blows.

Kinda side topic, but I highly recommend toikatsu dojo as a great fitness/fight training place. It's mainly for fighting(kickboxing, jiujitsu, boxing) but many of the locations have weight benches and free weights. I went there this summer when I had the time to train. The best part is that if you have a membership you can go to any location. I would hope around to get lots of sparring done and would use my local one to get weights in. Fight fit is connected with toikatsu so all of those locations are also included. The price was like 10,000-12,000 yen a month but I can't remember perfectly. Also that was for the unlimited membership.
Website
https://tkdj.net/

Back in the gym for the first time in over three weeks today. Felt good and bad. Was a pretty gentle workout, just working up to a couple of sets at the weight I was lifting before christmas but it felt both easy and hard - easy from a strength perspective but I was huffing and puffing like a bar steward. Reckon I'll do some fartlek tomorrow to try to recover from covid.

But I went to a foreign gym today and the guy next to me was just... groaning the whole time. Like, the whole time, even while resting between sets. He sounded alternatively like he was either gonna puke or cream his pants. The only time he stopped was to take some selfies for the gram.

But I went to a foreign gym today and the guy next to me was just... groaning the whole time. Like, the whole time, even while resting between sets. He sounded alternatively like he was either gonna puke or cream his pants. The only time he stopped was to take some selfies for the gram.

I feel outed

• Haha
Reactions: Tabanico
Been a couple of weeks since I did squats since the gym closed for a week. While I was stretching, some guy was actually doing curls in the squat rack. Didn't care as I was able to get a rack when I was ready.

After my warm up sets, did 10 sets of 3 power squats at 105 kg. Had to be careful since I come up fast enough for the bar to almost leave my shoulders. Only had one minute rest between sets so I was sucking wind. Wonder if I'll be sore tomorrow.

Reactions: Tabanico and Sudsy
Back in the gym for the first time in over three weeks today. Felt good and bad. Was a pretty gentle workout, just working up to a couple of sets at the weight I was lifting before christmas but it felt both easy and hard - easy from a strength perspective but I was huffing and puffing like a bar steward. Reckon I'll do some fartlek tomorrow to try to recover from covid.

I stopped going to Gold’s gym because of that kind of weird behaviour. Happened all the time there.

Were you caning those jelly in pouche drinks in nogizaka?
I get on the treadmill long enough to splash water on my face and take an insta selfie hashtag SELFCARE and then fuck off to the jacuzzi, in which I urinate to my heart’s content….

Reactions: Sudsy and Tabanico
I'm currently at the gym. At the weekend my wife made meat sauce with the strongest onions in the world - the whole thing just tasted like eating raw onion (at least she told me it was the onions - she could have been trying to poison me I guess).

I am currently sweating onion juice out of every pore of my body.

And I haven't even started running yet.

I pity the fools who are stuck in here with me.

I pity the fools
If anyone was wondering what Tabanico looks like....

1708941245805.png

I just got back from Monkey Gym near Gyoen park in Shinjuku. I went there earlier today during business hours to see about a visitor pass and they offer a weekly pass for 4400 yen. Very painless sign up, just asked my name, country, and hotel name. Took payment with credit card too even. On top of that the lady working there was super nice and spoke really good English too.

I am not an expert in gym equipment, but I can just say its nice to have real equipment to use like dumbbells with rotating handles. I am so used to using shitty hotel and apartment gyms since I am always traveling.

Oh yea and with the weekly pass you have 24 hour access, I visited from 2:00-3:15am. I forgot to mention, for access after hours they took my fingerprint when signing up and that is how you access the door.

20240305_031429.jpg
20240305_030758.jpg

I just got back from Monkey Gym near Gyoen park in Shinjuku. I went there earlier today during business hours to see about a visitor pass and they offer a weekly pass for 4400 yen. Very painless sign up, just asked my name, country, and hotel name. Took payment with credit card too even. On top of that the lady working there was super nice and spoke really good English too.

I am not an expert in gym equipment, but I can just say its nice to have real equipment to use like dumbbells with rotating handles. I am so used to using shitty hotel and apartment gyms since I am always traveling.

Oh yea and with the weekly pass you have 24 hour access, I visited from 2:00-3:15am. I forgot to mention, for access after hours they took my fingerprint when signing up and that is how you access the door.
First thought this was overpriced, then realized quickly this is meant for people on business trips. Good for what it is. Wouldn't want that to be my permanent gym at that price.

First thought this was overpriced, then realized quickly this is meant for people on business trips. Good for what it is. Wouldn't want that to be my permanent gym at that price.
Yea this is actually cheap compared to most gyms that allow a visitor at some absurd single use rate. I'm not sure if its specifically meant for people traveling, they do have a normal monthly rate for locals too... but they do seem to encourage visitors to come.

Just to add, "monkey gym" I mentioned above also sold me a 2 week pass for 5500. The lady seemed really flexible with how long of a pass you might want. I should have just asked for a month at the start, but oh well.

Rotating handles?
Yes so the weight rotates naturally like imagine holding a dumbbell and doing a bicep curl. If the handle rotates you don’t get weird rotational stress on your hand as the dumbbell tries to roll away or something. All barbells do this but not all dumbbells do.

Reactions: Sudsy and qcryp