Guest viewing is limited

Here they come... the borders are opening back up. Sorta.

By the time the Olympics opened, cases had already gone up by nearly 200% (from 1.13 cases/100,000 people on Jun. 21 to 3.13 cases/100,000 people on Jul. 23) from the bottom of the trough between the 4th and 5th waves, and case counts typically reflect infections that occurred 10-14 days before, so really even the 10.05 cases/100,000 people reported on Aug. 6 were likely infected before the games. From there to the peak of the 5th wave on Aug. 25, at 18.40 cases/100,000 people is not even another doubling, when cases had already increased 10 fold. So I don't think you can really blame the Olympics for the increase in cases.
I'm not saying you can blame rise in cases on Olympics.

But there were breakthrough cases despite vaccination of the participants. And the social discontent regarding the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if they are taking it really slow... I can only hope that my Japan trip doesn't get delayed 3 yrs in a row...

Give it a little while. I'm still sober.

How dare you? I will report you to the management. Though probably they have never had to deal someone writing here sober either.

How dare you? I will report you to the management. Though probably they have never had to deal someone writing here sober either.

I just got back from Costco where I loaded up on Costco Vodka and (the surprisingly good) Costco box Chardonnay (and it's only $12). I won't have the problem of sobriety much longer.

Reactions: Acid Burn
Reactions: Bobby Maupy
i hope they will. Just to teach the Rest of the World a lesson!

Will be interesting to find out what the lesson is going to be. The South African doctor who discovered it just told a reporter that the symptoms are really mild, none of his patients haven't needed hospitalisation this far.

It was great during the 2 weeks reopening haha... Here's hoping things will improve sooner with the increased vaccination and faster govt response.

Will be interesting to find out what the lesson is going to be. The South African doctor who discovered it just told a reporter that the symptoms are really mild, none of his patients haven't needed hospitalisation this far.

Hoping this is the “cold variant” a lot of epidemiologists have been waiting for. Highly transmissible but extremely extremely low hospitalization risk. Let it run rampant for a few months and burn through the population and hopefully be over with it for the time being…best case scenario I’ve read. Avoiding the worst case reads for my sanity.

Hoping this is the “cold variant” a lot of epidemiologists have been waiting for. Highly transmissible but extremely extremely low hospitalization risk. Let it run rampant for a few months and burn through the population and hopefully be over with it for the time being…best case scenario I’ve read. Avoiding the worst case reads for my sanity.

I'm still loosely involved with political/government leadership around here, and the general consensus right now is that we basically don't know shit but from everything being shared with us from other government agencies we're guessing that this omicron is going to spread like wildfire, is very likely vaccine resistant but, for the time being, doesn't appear to be particularly dangerous. Reported symptoms have largely been limited to fatigue, sore throats and mild fevers. I had worse from my fucking booster shot. But again, most of those infected thus far have been younger. As you mentioned, this may be the inevitable mutation downward that epidemiologists have been predicting...but that's wishful thinking and best-case-scenario stuff and it'll be weeks before we know if that's true.

What I am reasonably certain will happen, however, is that most state and federal agencies--along with partners in media--are going to overreact and hype this variant because, dangerous or not, it's proving to be a very useful tool in finally convincing idiot fucking anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated and lazy dipshit morons to go get their boosters. And, of course, Pfizer is promising an updated booster in three months so why not feed the fire and make another billion dollars for investors?

The only thing I'm sure of right now is that I won't be allowed to use those RT tickets I just purchased for a trip to Tokyo in March. But that also means I'll be staying home and enjoying lockdown for the third March in a row, which means I'll be saving a shit ton of money staying home smoking cigars and drinking Costco vodka and chardonnay on the roof of my condo tower for another six months. Three years with no vacations? Maybe I'll use all that extra cash to buy myself a Rolex and laser hair removal on my asshole to remember all this fun.

Reactions: MikeH
I still haven’t got the vaccine . Everyone is still getting covid and sick with or without vaccine so it doesn’t make sense to me . I was getting excited to go to Japan next year..but maybe that won’t happen now lol.

Reactions: hrbb
Well, they've banned all entry for foreign residents who are coming from or have been in the south half of Africa, and have asked all airlines to stop taking Japan-bound flight reservations until the end of the year.

Looks like it's going to be another fun stretch.

they've banned all entry for foreign residents who are coming from or have been in the south half of Africa,

They did this on South Asia in May and June without fanfare. That was Suga's way. Now Kishida is blowing a whistle like a kid who've got one for the first time.

all airlines to stop taking Japan-bound flight reservations until the end of the year

Their next move may be mandatory quarantine at airport hotel for all incoming travelers probably for 3 days. (6 - 10 days for those from the countries where VOC is prevalent).

Closing the border and stopping people from booking flights seems to be mainly for Kishida to please the domestic audience more than anything else. There seems to have been a lot of disappointment with Suga in that regard.

Man … This pandemic just keeps rollin’.

50980E5D-5E33-486E-AB71-593272B9F9FD.jpeg

I still haven’t got the vaccine . Everyone is still getting covid and sick with or without vaccine so it doesn’t make sense to me . I was getting excited to go to Japan next year..but maybe that won’t happen now lol.

Forget about govt policy, you do realize that variants emerge because the virus is still being spreading from people to people (which allows mutations to occur)?

I've gotten the booster, and practice social distancing and mask wearing (correctly wearing it), and I have yet to get Covid, nor do I ever plan on putting myself in position to get it... Vaccines drastically reduce the ability for it to spread which is a good thing.

And if you are planning to go to Japan, you will need to be vaccinated for sure.... I just don't see them accepting unvaccinated individuals (unless they have some severe medical reason that makes the vaccine even more risky to your health)...

Many people who were vaccinated still got covid. Didn’t they come out and say it only works for a couple months?

No they did not. No vaccine is 100% effective so you will get breakthrough cases. But even if you get covid after being vaccinated it will protect you from the severe forms of the disease with more than 99% probability.

No they did not. No vaccine is 100% effective so you will get breakthrough cases. But even if you get covid after being vaccinated it will protect you from the severe forms of the disease with more than 99% probability.

If this pandemic has taught us anything, it's that you can fix stupid. The sooner these morons win their Darwin Award, the sooner this will all be over.