Hipness Asshole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minato Namikaze

Midsummer Photographer
Reaction score
Fellow Tagmates!

Something happened recently that just creams my corn.

I was browsing one late night a week ago when I suddenly had a hankering for some thai food. (If you know what I mean) But first, a little background to allow you to understand the story even better.

So I called up Hipness to book a girl that I've been eyeing on for weeks. I called them 3 weeks ago but the man on the phone told me that she was unavailable for a meet. I kindly told him that if it would be possible for me to call again next week to confirm her availability, in which he said yes, and I did. Unfortunately, she was still unavailable during that time. Last week, I saw on the webpage that she had a day available on her schedule, which was sort of rare, so I immediately called Hipness again to set up a meeting. Basically, this is how the conversation on the phone went down.

MOP stands for Man On Phone.

MOP: This is Hipness.
Me: Good morning! I hope you remember me, I was the guy that called you 2 weeks ago.
MOP: Yes, how may I help you again?
Me: Yes, I recently noticed that the girl I've been trying to get in touch with is now available this week and I would love to set up an appointment, please.
MOP: I'm sorry, sir, but she is not available.
Me: I'm sorry? The girl's schedule on your website clearly indicates that she is available for booking this week. How is she not available?
MOP: I told you she is not available.

MOP hangs up.

I was extremely confused. Why would this man hang up the phone? So I called him again after a minute.

MOP: Hipness.
Me: Hi. It's me again. Can I ask why you would hang up the phone like that? I am trying to make a serious booking here.
MOP: You're looking for her, right? I told you she is NOT available.
Me: I understand that, but what I want to know is why is she not available when on the website, it says she is?
MOP: 言うひつよはありません。 (No reason to tell you)
Me: Okay....fine, can I book another girl then?
MOP: 出来ません。 (We cannot do that.)
Me: Why not?
Me: Why not? I don't see any reason for you not to tell me why I cannot book someone. I speak japanese fine and I have been nothing but kind and polite to you.

This is the part of the conversation where I got royally pissed off and blurted something out in plain english on the telephone.

MOP: Sorry, but we cannot do business with you.
Me: What? Excuse me?
MOP: WE CANNOT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU. (Yes, he shouted)
Me: THEN WHY THE FUCK NOT?
MOP: FACKA U TOO MADERPAKER! (I admit, it was funny when he said it)
Me: What the hell is your problem? I didn't say "Fuck you" to you.
MOP: Yes, you did!
Me: No, I did not. I only simply asked you "WHY THE FUCK NOT" are you denying me of your service when I did not even do anything wrong to you. I get that as an owner, it is your right to deny anyone of the service you provide, but at least provide a reason, man.
Me: PLEASE GO AWAY ASSMOTHER (lol assmother)
Me: You know what, I've had enough of you. You are being deliberately unreasonable and you keep dodging my questions. Your kinds of service are a dime a dozen anyway. Thanks for the wonderful service, asshole. Goodbye.
MOP: FAKA.......

Before he could complete his sentence, I hung up the phone.

This is where it gets crazy. After that whole argument we had on the phone, now the insane bastard won't stop calling my phone all night. He keeps calling me and calling me and then hanging up. Even when I tell him to stop calling, he would not speak and just keeps calling until I answered and then would hang up. Talk about childish. Needless to say, his phone number was blocked.

There goes Hipness. Shame. Pretty cheap service with a lot of good option of fine women, too. I really don't understand what his problem with me was. Was it because I kept asking for the same girl for 2 straight weeks? I mean, counting that phone call, we only had a conversation around three times. That was dispersed in a three week timespan.

Something is weird. Anyway, on to the next as I always say.

Not to be rude, but it should have just ended after this:

MOP: I'm sorry, sir, but she is not available.
Me: I'm sorry? The girl's schedule on your website clearly indicates that she is available for booking this week. How is she not available?
MOP: I told you she is not available.

MOP hangs up.

They aren't obligated to give you a reason as to why someone is or is not available. There are a multitude of 'grey' reasons as to why some girl may not be available.

- She could have been already booked.
- She may not actually exist
- She doesn't want to see certain types of clients
- The telephone guy doesn't like you...
- etc. etc.

I feel sorry for the next caller in that case...

For this part:
This is where it gets crazy. After that whole argument we had on the phone, now the insane bastard won't stop calling my phone all night. He keeps calling me and calling me and then hanging up. Even when I tell him to stop calling, he would not speak and just keeps calling until I answered and then would hang up. Talk about childish. Needless to say, his phone number was blocked.

I'm not sure what to say about this but I'm certain it wouldn't have happened if it had been left alone from the beginning.

Although it didn't escalate in such proportion, I also have had problems booking at hipness, even if calling early enough in the day the girls I ask are never available (usually if my priority isn't available I ask for a second best choice then a third). I also found the guy on the phone to be not nice even though I speak to him in good japanese.

Not to be rude, but it should have just ended after this:

They aren't obligated to give you a reason as to why someone is or is not available. There are a multitude of 'grey' reasons as to why some girl may not be available.

- She could have been already booked.
- She may not actually exist
- She doesn't want to see certain types of clients
- The telephone guy doesn't like you...
- etc. etc.

- Unlikely because I called AHEAD of time to make sure I got to her first and to book a reservation.
- She does. Otherwise, what is the point of having her photo on the website? They took it off once and they put it back. I saw it happened last week. Plus, the owner even acknowledged her existence during the first call. He made it clear that she still worked there and the only reason that her availability is scarce is because of how busy she is.
- Her profile states that she is fine with either japanese or foreign clients. She and the man on the phone has not seen me yet, so I don't see a valid reason for them to judge someone they have not seen yet. Other than my fervent determination to get in touch and reserve a girl I actually like. What's wrong with that?
- He clearly does not. If my politeness, manners and calm attitude still managed to tick him off, then I don't know know what else to do. All I did was call him 2 times 2 weeks ago to ask for the same girl, and every time he says she is not available, I quickly understand and thank him for his time.

I feel sorry for the next caller in that case...

For this part:

I'm not sure what to say about this but I'm certain it wouldn't have happened if it had been left alone from the beginning.

So let me get this straight; I am not allowed to ask about a particular lady if she is available? You know what? I believe the reason that man became pissed at me in the first place was when I called him the first time and asked for a specific girl and he told me she was unavailable for booking, he tried to recommend a few ladies to me, but I politely declined his offer and told him that I have had my eye fixed on a certain woman and I don't want anybody else. That is the point of selecting a woman. I don't want any random recommendations. I want the one that I picked. If she is not available, then tell me so and I will politely and calmly excuse myself. The second call that followed in the week after that was probably the reason he got angrier. It was like "IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BOOK A WOMAN, DON'T CALL/BOTHER ME!"

It's not that I am not going to book. I AM GOING TO BOOK. It's that I don't want any woman he recommends and I want the one that I picked. I'll gladly wait until she becomes available. I'm a patient man. The third call was probably the fire that burnt his candle. The minute he answered the phone, he knew it was me. The guy probably had me on caller ID. He probably thought to himself "OH SHIT. IT'S THIS GUY AGAIN. I TOLD YOU SHE IS NOT AVAILABLE!"

I can understand she is not available. I get that. Even if the website says she is. But when I tested him and told him that I wanted to book another girl(any girl he recommends), he flat out told me that they cannot do business with me. Only one thought registered in my mind when he said that.

"What the fuck did I do?!"

Also, a professional man doing this kind of business and earning good money from it, would at least have some sense of etiquette when engaging with customers/clients. Why the hell would he do this?

What in the bloody hell is he? 10 years old?

Although it didn't escalate in such proportion, I also have had problems booking at hipness, even if calling early enough in the day the girls I ask are never available (usually if my priority isn't available I ask for a second best choice then a third). I also found the guy on the phone to be not nice even though I speak to him in good japanese.

See? I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this problem.

Hipness is the only service that I have experienced such poor quality customer/client support. The crappier establishments had better manners than he did.

Last edited:
I hope the Hipness people don't read this website. They might not like being called 'ass holes' by a gaijin!

Reactions: Cornelius
I don't know man, it seems like you got a no answer early in the conversation. This is Japan. Arguing like that does reinforce the perception that foreigners are difficult to deal with.

I would hardly call that arguing when all I did was politely ask if the girl I am interested in is available or not. Besides, I told him I wasn't a foreigner and I am japanese during our first call, so any assumption he may have with foreigners after that is out of my jurisdiction. From the way I see it, it is just another japanese talking to another regarding why he has poor communication with clients who persists with what he wants.

Try and analyze it in this perspective.

There's a car you want and only one dealer sells it in your town. Now the manufacturer claims the car has been deemed available on all retailers and your dealer's website states that they are already available. When you call them to make a purchase, they tell you that it is not in yet. However, they keep recommending you cars you do not want. You keep trying every other week, hoping you can finally get that car. Car has finally been confirmed to have arrived at the dealership and you initiate a phone call. Owner gets pissed at you for calling and asking the same question every week and finally loses it.

You: Say, about that car. I heard it just came in yesterday. I'll drop by there to sign the contract.
Them: SORRY WE CANNOT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU.
You: What? Why not?
Them: I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU THE REASON WHY. IT IS MY BUSINESS. WHAT I SAY IS FINAL.

Anyone would be furious.

I hope the Hipness people don't read this website. They might not like being called 'ass holes' by a gaijin!

As I have stated before, services they offer are a dime a dozen. I was not rude. I was kind and polite to him the whole time. Being denied a service when they clearly do not know you or have any experiences with you as a client says a lot about something.

I don't consider hipness a loss. Hipness doesn't consider me a loss as well. I'm just another client to them among the thousands of horny people that they could have. I'm fine with that. There are a lot of services out there that appreciates a customer who makes clear of who he wants and is kind/polite about asking for it.

It don't matter if you're a gaijin. Defending asshole-ish behavior just to preserve his business and his "thoughts" about gaijin clients says a lot as well.

It don't matter if you're a gaijin. Defending asshole-ish behavior just to preserve his business and his "thoughts" about gaijin clients says a lot as well.

Meh.... this just a repeating scenario, just different players. Ranting about it will probably make you feel better but it won't have any impact on the guy you were talking to on the phone. If anything, it could have a negative impact anyone (read: non-Japanese) calling in after the fact.

They don't have to do anything... they'll choose who they want as clients and who they don't. .....even if you've never met them.... it's just a fact of life with some of these establishments. (sorry to say)

Reactions: MossBoss
If you call once and they say she's not available, and then you call again, and the guy recognizes you, and they say she's not available, you should probably just move on instead of confronting the guy. If you are semi-fluent or fluent in Japanese, and you don't get that arguing and name calling are only going to make things worse for you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Getting service as a foreigner, even with 'foreign friendly' agencies, can be a matter of walking a cultural and linguistic thin line, and generally those agencies don't want to deal with foreigners because they don't know how to 'read the air'. Hopefully this won't affect other foreigners' access to Hipness, and to everyone else, please "don't be that guy".

As I have stated before, services they offer are a dime a dozen. I was not rude. I was kind and polite to him the whole time. Being denied a service when they clearly do not know you or have any experiences with you as a client says a lot about something.

I don't consider hipness a loss. Hipness doesn't consider me a loss as well. I'm just another client to them among the thousands of horny people that they could have. I'm fine with that. There are a lot of services out there that appreciates a customer who makes clear of who he wants and is kind/polite about asking for it.

I am not aware of other providers offering girls of a mix of nationalities who give out FS for less than 10,000 yen. And allow accesss to gaijin except the OP.

Ranting about it will probably make you feel better but it won't have any impact on the guy you were talking to on the phone. I

Exactly my thought!

Which is why after he became hostile and started throwing random curse words in english for absolutely no reason at all, I ended up with this.

Me: You know what, I've had enough of you. You are being deliberately unreasonable and you keep dodging my questions. Your kinds of service are a dime a dozen anyway. Thanks for the wonderful service, asshole. Goodbye.

I did not want the argument to escalate any further. I can take a hint. No means no. I only asked him questions that, for some reason, he believes is either invasive or annoying. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a very understanding person. When he told me that he did not want to do business with me and NOT explain the reason why, that is where I just stop and quit. No reason to prolong that phonecall.

What bothered me is what came after that. Seriously, late night prank calling? Is that supposed to be a form of revenge? A way for him to vent steam because he's on some kind of PMS or some shit? What is he? 10 years old? If he's a professional at what he does, if you had a slight scuffle with a client on the phone and the client makes it clear that he is also not interested anymore in the service, then drop it already. Calling my phone number relentlessly is just childish no matter what angle you look at it from.

If you call once and they say she's not available, and then you call again, and the guy recognizes you, and they say she's not available, you should probably just move on instead of confronting the guy. If you are semi-fluent or fluent in Japanese, and you don't get that arguing and name calling are only going to make things worse for you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Getting service as a foreigner, even with 'foreign friendly' agencies, can be a matter of walking a cultural and linguistic thin line, and generally those agencies don't want to deal with foreigners because they don't know how to 'read the air'. Hopefully this won't affect other foreigners' access to Hipness, and to everyone else, please "don't be that guy".

No, I am not "that" guy. I have always avoided in being "that" guy. I go by the code. It doesn't matter what your skin color is or your ethnicity background is, I'll treat you the way you treat me. I have never displayed any rude or barbaric behavior with any service/provider, independent or otherwise. I value manners and civilized conversations with anyone. What he does do not excuse him for being an asshole. I am a japanese just like him who happens to speak english as well. Him, blaming foreigners and assuming they are ill-mannered are, again, out of my jurisdiction due to the fact that I have not done anything wrong to him and I've only stated my business.

Who knows? Maybe he's just angry and I just happen to call at the wrong time. Dude forgot to leave his ego out the door before starting business.

Had you used hipness in the past, Kyrose?

Never.

That is what made it even weirder. I was a first time client and I do not understand why I got that treatment, and here I am being looked upon as "that" guy who could possible tarnish Hipness's preconception about gaijin clients. Everyone is not even looking at the full picture.

Hypothetically speaking, what if some random gaijin lurker here on TAG managed to snag some information about Hipness, decided to call them and pissed off the owner during their conversation? Thus allowing the owner to vent his anger at me when I've never done anything?

Just curious, if you are Japanese, why was he swearing at you in English?

This is the part of the conversation where I got royally pissed off and blurted something out in plain english on the telephone.

MOP: Sorry, but we cannot do business with you.
Me: What? Excuse me?
MOP: WE CANNOT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU. (Yes, he shouted)
Me: THEN WHY THE FUCK NOT? (The part I said in english out of frustration, in which he misunderstood and thought I said "Fuck you!" to him. No, I did not shout it. Just a slightly raised tone.)

You're the rude one not him. You know full well that in Japanese people are indirect and he is clearly avoiding telling you why. He said no once that's all he owes you.

Last edited:
You're the rude one not him. You know full well that in Japanese people are indirect. He said no once that's all he owes you.

Well, excuse me for being the meanest douchebag on planet earth but:

How am I rude? For trying to ask a very reasonable question? If you don't ask, you won't know. That's how these services go. I called to ask a specific woman's availability. He said no, I politely accept and hang up the phone. I hope for the best and try again next week. Simple as that. It is no different from what I do with other providers. You ask if the girl you like is available, if not, they recommend you a different one. If you don't like it, you can just say no and try again next time. I don't see anything wrong of what I did there. Seriously.

Regarding your statement, he only said "No" after the 3rd call. The first and second call(Which were set apart a week) were only confirmation that the girl I was looking for was not available. He only made it clear about me being declined about the service during the final call, in which happened during the 3rd week. The only questioned I asked was why I was denied of service when I was a first time customer. Girls there never met me before so there should be nothing negative about me that could have been reported to their tencho. I wasn't being rude and I was being very, VERY polite during our conversation. I spoke good japanese so communication was smooth. I also made it clear to the tencho that I am japanese and not a foreigner.

I asked a simple question to the tencho. That's it. What did I do to warrant such hostility? I didn't badger him with nonsensical questions. I made my point clear. In fact, this paragraph alone is enough to support my case.

MOP: Hipness.
Me: Hi. It's me again. Can I ask why you would hang up the phone like that? I am trying to make a serious booking here.
MOP: You're looking for her, right? I told you she is NOT available.
Me: I understand that, but what I want to know is why is she not available when on the website, it says she is?
Me: Okay....fine, can I book another girl then?
MOP: 出来ません。 (We cannot do that.)
Me: Why not?
Me: Why not? I don't see any reason for you not to tell me why I cannot book someone. I speak japanese fine and I have been nothing but kind and polite to you.

I try to book for another girl and I was declined? Explain that and I shall gladly wear the crown of douchebaggery.

AKB69 said:
Kyrose u fucked up totaly there bro

I know.

Worst part is I have absolutely no idea why he was mad in the first place.

I try to book for another girl and I was declined? Explain that and I shall gladly wear the crown of douchebaggery.

There's really no explanation, you'll just have to accept it and move on. End of story....

If this really happened as you stated, keep in mind that you are giving an even more negative image to these guys about 'gaijin'. IRREGARDLESS of how he responded, just say thank you and move on. You got the short straw....

Reactions: MossBoss
@Minato Namikaze

Could I just clarify.... Are you Japanese (either Nikkei/日系 or Japan born)...or just a foreigner to Japan in general?

I'd just like to understand the context of your approach as a person. (gaijin, non-gaijin, native-Japanese speaker vs. near-native Japanese speaker, etc.)

Reactions: User#3673
There's really no explanation, you'll just have to accept it and move on. End of story....

If this really happened as you stated, keep in mind that you are giving an even more negative image to these guys about 'gaijin'. IRREGARDLESS of how he responded, just say thank you and move on.

I understand.

I only created this topic to vent a little and to get some perspective and insights regarding the situation. But I guess if anyone did something like that without explanation, you're just going to have to accept it and move on. It's like being dumped by a girl and not being given an explanation why. You were just left hanging in the air, scratching your head, wondering what you did wrong.

Anyway, thank you for all of your input. I appreciate it.

@Minato Namikaze

Could I just clarify.... Are you Japanese (either Nikkei/日系 or Japan born)...or just a foreigner to Japan in general?

I'd just like to understand the context of your approach as a person. (gaijin, non-gaijin, native-Japanese speaker vs. near-native Japanese speaker, etc.)

Japan Born, US raised.

You got the short straw....

GodDammit.jpg

These are the days of our lives...
"There goes Hipness."
Yes, you would have made a great lawyer...
May we ask which lass it was?

These are the days of our lives...
"There goes Hipness."
Yes, you would have made a great lawyer...
May we ask which lass it was?

Sarcasm is a little stale, but appreciated. (y)

Also, I never said I would have made a great lawyer. I said a "good one". Also, I was told that by someone, not a self-proclamation. And again, never aspired to be one. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.