How often do your Sony products last on average?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Sony walkman about 2 years ago and it is already showing signs of malfunctioning?

I never once dropped it on the ground or misused it. I will admit that I use it pretty much everyday, unless I am super busy. I guess it is possible to wear down a Sony product just by using it almost everyday for 2 years.

When I was walking and listening to it, I kept having the sound cut in and out for short periods and I wasn't jogging, running or stepping hard so it wasn't a problem that calls for the anti-skip feature.

It almost seemed as if the sound was being interfered with due to being in WIFI dense areas downtown? Could this be it?

Has anyone else been having sound issues with their Sony walkmans? If you own a Sony walkman that is.

Seriously. Their products have gone to hell. 20 years ago I would have bought anything they sold, today the only thing that I think I would by from them is a game system, and even then I am not so sure about it. I've seen a person go through 3 Sony laptops in 10 years, they all failed from the unrepairable keyboard failures.

I have an iPhone, that has 128GB of storage that's more than enough for any music I am currently listening too. And I carry a 15000mAh battery pack with me to recharge when I need too, that will keep me charged all day. It's one device that does 90% of what I want, so there is no reason for separate devices in my mind. Other than my DSLR that is. And that is also not Sony ;-)

Measuring the life of your product in years is meaningless since some products are used for hours every day and others are only occasionally subjected to the rigors of the field. For this reason, I have tasked my household with maintaining a spreadsheet of device usage - with an adjustment for products that are used in conditions that are more or less hostile. The metric that I have introduced to the Chaztagster household is "adjusted field hours".
Sony products last, on average, 7.2k AFH
This is about 3% better than the electronics industry average, according to my method.

The metric that I have introduced to the Chaztagster household is "adjusted field hours".

That sounds like a very smart and complicated metric. I mean everyone should know by now that any and all electrical devices last around their warranty period plus ten percent :D.

Except cheap Chinese ones which arrive broken and are still so cheap you don't bother trying to get your money back.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I'd never buy a Sony PC, that's just suicide.

For the Sony products I have, which is few, I haven't had many issues.

I've used Sony professional audio/video gear and that has been top notch.

I'd probably not buy any comsumer products...

I have a Sony smart TV. It is the most expensive piece of garbage I have ever owned. When it starts acting up, it just blows my mind that it can even do some of the things it does.

But a walkman? Maybe under that kind of heavy use I could see it wearing out but even then that's a disappointment. I have crappy $10 portable disc players that have lasted far longer than two years of daily use.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Just bought a Sony Bluetooth speaker. A happy purchase so far. Fingers crossed. Got a Vaio notebook that has not skipped a beat for the last 5 years ( or maybe longer).

I have been visiting the Apple store alot lately. Got to believe Apple will peak and decline at some point in the future. Throw it away and buy a new one is the Apple mantra at store level. Where are they finding staff in Japan and how are they training them! Hopeless.

One of my problems related to a track pad. On the base of the trackpad there are 4 small white plastic "cushions". Ultra Cheap low tech components - but essential. At the Apple store their recommendation was to buy a new trackpad. I told them that was crazy. The Apple guys response was to compare my situation to someone losing the keys to his Ferrari....but stopped short of stating the Ferrari should be pushed to the wreckers yard... when he realized he was arguing my case.

Sony Walkman I used to own still used cassette tapes ... and if it wasn't stolen from me it might still be functional.

When I was walking and listening to it, I kept having the sound cut in and out for short periods and I wasn't jogging, running or stepping hard so it wasn't a problem that calls for the anti-skip feature.

Anti-skip? Are you using cassette tapes?

Have you tried changing earphones? The connections in the plug gives out first even if the whole thing is still very much usable. Happened to a 2-man yen Shure headphone after only 3 years of daily use.

Measuring the life of your product in years is meaningless since some products are used for hours every day and others are only occasionally subjected to the rigors of the field.

Wow, this is fantastic! This means I effectively still have the johnson of a young teenager!! Lol

Just bought a Sony Bluetooth speaker. A happy purchase so far. Fingers crossed. Got a Vaio notebook that has not skipped a beat for the last 5 years ( or maybe longer).

I have been visiting the Apple store alot lately. Got to believe Apple will peak and decline at some point in the future. Throw it away and buy a new one is the Apple mantra at store level. Where are they finding staff in Japan and how are they training them! Hopeless.

One of my problems related to a track pad. On the base of the trackpad there are 4 small white plastic "cushions". Ultra Cheap low tech components - but essential. At the Apple store their recommendation was to buy a new trackpad. I told them that was crazy. The Apple guys response was to compare my situation to someone losing the keys to his Ferrari....but stopped short of stating the Ferrari should be pushed to the wreckers yard... when he realized he was arguing my case.

In China the general logic would go something this:

Oh you lose a key? You go buy new Ferrari!

...but I need a new key...not a...ugh nevermind.

Sony Walkman I used to own still used cassette tapes ... and if it wasn't stolen from me it might still be functional.

Anti-skip? Are you using cassette tapes?

Have you tried changing earphones? The connections in the plug gives out first even if the whole thing is still very much usable. Happened to a 2-man yen Shure headphone after only 3 years of daily use.

I'm using an mp3 player. Yes, sorry I know it isn't actually called anti-skip but I mean whatever the hell the equivalent to anti-skip that the Walkman mp3 player has lol. Maybe I'm referring to some kind of anti-interference feature.

I will just pick up some new earphones tomorrow. That might be it. I have gone through at least a dozen pairs of100yen earphones over the passed 2 years haha. I still would hate to buy a really expensive pair and then have those shit on me too.

Sony Walkman? That's your problem right there.

When I bought my first Sony TV 12 years ago, I was told by Japanese friends about 'Sony life' which was meant to be a 2 year limit. That TV is still working with no problems. I also have another 50 for the living and a 42 for the room which is about 5 yrs old. No issues here.

I will just pick up some new earphones tomorrow. That might be it. I have gone through at least a dozen pairs of100yen earphones over the passed 2 years haha. I still would hate to buy a really expensive pair and then have those shit on me too.
I use apple EarPods or any other of my spare headphones when on the go but at home i keep my really nice pair of beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros. Id never take those with me even if i could they're 250ohms impedance so i have to run them through a DAC and an Amplifier to hear anything.

I'm using an mp3 player. Yes, sorry I know it isn't actually called anti-skip but I mean whatever the hell the equivalent to anti-skip that the Walkman mp3 player has lol. Maybe I'm referring to some kind of anti-interference feature.

I <3 Skullcandy headphones the quality is awesome. I haven't had any issue with my pair I bought in the US last year and I use them frequently. They sell them in Japan now so you could get a good pair for ¥2000?

I <3 Skullcandy headphones the quality is awesome. I haven't had any issue with my pair I bought in the US last year and I use them frequently. They sell them in Japan now so you could get a good pair for ¥2000?
Where did you find Skullcandy in Japan?!! :wideyed:

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have been really happy with my Yuin PK3's...they are like $40 (discontinued but you can still get them online) and they are amazing for the price...

For some reason I have quite a number of don't products. I have a CD player from the early 90s that's still working and frequently used. I have a discman and a mp3 player both from the last decade, still working fine, but rarely used.
I have a Sony Alpha 77 that works like a charm since 5 or 6 years.
My 60' tv is also 5 or 6 years old and my only complain is that it doesn't get updated anymore and isn't supported by YouTube anymore. Similarly the Sony blue ray player I use for my Japanese blue rays works without problems for the same period.
I'm not playing much, but the PS4 us solid since years.
The only thing I'm somewhat mixed about is my Sony smartphone. After 2.5 years the battery died and repairing the touchscreen seemed to be significantly more expensive than for iPhone or Samsung smartphones, at least in Japan.
I wouldn't currently buy a smartphone again, as they are just not competitive in terms of price and performance, but otherwise I have no bad experience.

had a, maybe first generation, Walkman MP3 player ... used it for 3-4 years most days but got lost during a hikkoshi (or maybe still in one of those unopened boxes)... had same audio cutting out issues. new headphones always fixed it.

I'm typing this on a Sony Aquos XX-mini but it's just 1 yo. I don't like a big smartphone bec small hands.

there is the term ... planned obsolescence ... gone are the days of buying a device and keeping it for decades. parts fail. components have MTBFs (mean time before failure). you can't fixit yourself, other people don't know how to fixit all parts are SMD (surface mount devices) which requires new tools to be able to remove them off the board . then new fangled technology makes it more obsolete. some devices will even eavesdrop (data collection) on your usage habits. as the marketing wheel turns you get left in the dust.

Reactions: MikeH and namae
I'd never buy a Sony PC, that's just suicide.

Sony pulled out of the PC market a few years ago. They still link to Vaio off their page, but they no longer make or sell them themselves.

Their machines were consistently pieces of garbage, my old employer had them on a manufacturer blacklist. Fujitsu too.

Their audio equipment has generally been good though - my Sony studio headphones are nearly 20 years old and still sound as good as they did new.

My Sony bluetooth over-ear cans are about three years old and still have no issues, battery life is still perfectly fine, and those get a solid couple of hours use daily.