How often do your Sony products last on average?

What's Sony? ;-)

Beat me to it.

they all failed from the unrepairable keyboard failures.

Vaio notebooks used to be great and pretty easy to repair if you had a steady hand. Cant imagine what an unrepairable keyboard failure is.

I'd never buy a Sony PC, that's just suicide.

The desktops were always problematic, the notebooks used to be great but that was ages ago.

I've used Sony professional audio/video gear and that has been top notch.

Agreed.

Throw it away and buy a new one is the Apple mantra at store level.

I own lots of Apple computer gear, most of it about 6 years old. I've had decent experience with Apple store repairs as well.

I have gone through at least a dozen pairs of100yen earphones over the passed 2 years

I think I see the problem...

it's recent.

Yodobashi has had Skullcandy for years now. I'm not a fan but if they work for you then great. Personally I swear by Audio Technica.

Vaio notebooks used to be great and pretty easy to repair if you had a steady hand. Cant imagine what an unrepairable keyboard failure is.

Half the keyboard works the other half doesn't. I'd have to disassemble the laptop to exchange it for a new keyboard.

Yodobashi has had Skullcandy for years now. I'm not a fan but if they work for you then great. Personally I swear by Audio Technica.

I've not seen them until recently. I like Audio Technica, but I don't always want to spend that kind of money on headphones to play crappy mp3s through. Skullcandy are decent enough.

I'd have to disassemble the laptop to exchange it for a new keyboard.

Haven't had a Vaio notebook in well over 10 years but I've taken apart more than my share of em to do repairs. Keyboards are pretty easy.

I've not seen them until recently. I like Audio Technica, but I don't always want to spend that kind of money on headphones to play crappy mp3s through. Skullcandy are decent enough.

You have my word I've seen Skullcandys there since years ago. I tried em but found the sound kinda off. To each their own.

Reactions: impish
Haven't had a Vaio notebook in well over 10 years but I've taken apart more than my share of em to do repairs. Keyboards are pretty easy.

I guess i've gotten to the point in life where if I can't take 2 screws off and fix it then I'd rather send it for repair. and it was cheaper to buy a new one than it was to get it repaired. I got said person to buy a mac next time, they've had it for 5 years with no failures. I'll stay away from the cheap windows pc market for that reason.

I use all Sony cameras for our photo and video shoots for years and never had issues with them. And I'm famous for being extremely rough with my gear :)

Actually, now that I think about it, I did have one instance where a Sony professional video camera failed me - back when cameras still used mini DV tape. Happened at a wedding about 5 minutes before the bride came down to the chapel - my Sony HVR-Z1 bricked itself. Luckily I had a backup camera that recorded to SD card. Still use Sony products to this day with no issues since that one time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I guess i've gotten to the point in life where if I can't take 2 screws off and fix it then I'd rather send it for repair. and it was cheaper to buy a new one than it was to get it repaired. I got said person to buy a mac next time, they've had it for 5 years with no failures. I'll stay away from the cheap windows pc market for that reason.
Part of why I abandoned Sony despite my great love of the Vaio C1 sub notebook was the difficulty of obtaining and price of replacement parts. The other reason was Sony's steadfast refusal to offer a clear OS upgrade path/impossibility at the time of open source drivers for the proprietary bits that made Vaio hardware good.

The cheapo windows hardware doesn't suffer that set of problems but Vaio was never cheapo.

Apple has made user service very difficult/damn near impossible for all hardware across the board for a while now but personally I get longer hardware life with fewer needed repairs and have had no trouble with the OS upgrade path. Plus I get my beloved Unix as well.

I use all Sony cameras for our photo and video shoots for years and never had issues with them. And I'm famous for being extremely rough with my gear :)

As noted before, the pro gear is a completely different world than the consumer stuff. Same for the actual pro level recording studio gear they make as for their video cameras. Were I in need of that gear, I would not hesitate to buy Sony if it fit my needs.

Reactions: MikeH
I always used to hold the notion that Sony electronic products where self-imploding pieces of shit that where overpriced and basically inferior in every way to Panasonic.
I do think they have gotten better over the last 10 years or so, and I own several devices that I am happy with, but I still feel like I'm betraying Panasonic when ever I buy their stuff.