I’m new pls give me some tips

Kiwimelon

TAG Member
Reaction score
hi everyone I’m new here I’ve been living in japan for about a year now. I’m in Okayama and I can pretty much confirm it’s boring here. I just started going back to school to learn Japanese but I need some friends , a hobby .... something ! I can’t even go to the gym cause of the strict no tattoo policy please help me

Reactions: Yugi and mrkjp
Well, Meetup and Facebook have literally hundreds of events, groups, clubs, get-togethers listed every day. Check also the event sections on Time Out, Tokyo Cheapo, Metropolis, Tokyo Savvy, etc. Meeting people is really easy (maintain friendships is another sport though...). Just decide what you like, are interested into and find people alike.

Last edited:
I think you can search for matsuri in your city. They are fun and have a lot of people, maybe you can make some friends there :) And there are thousand online options :p

Reactions: Kiwimelon
Can you wear leggings / rash guard in the gym to cover tattoos?
the problem is i had some tattoos on my hands like on the inside part so i truly do try to cover everything but they make a big deal over everything! even my tongue ring and earrings its more of a hassle than anything i'm going to try some gym called AXTOS or something like that they said they're a little lenient ... i hope

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
This place may not help you meeting with sort of friends you like, but worth trying. Just pop in and ask.
http://www.opief.or.jp/?page_id=36

Have you been to Jeans Street btw?
https://www.heddels.com/2014/05/complete-guide-okayama-jeans-street/
i'll try that thanks! and no i haven't i'll probably check it out i just started going to some of the symphony halls they have around here they did an awesome hans zimmer i guess tribute? it was cool and i been really in to wasting my time and money at sega world :cry:

Reactions: Ken1988
I think you can search for matsuri in your city. They are fun and have a lot of people, maybe you can make some friends there :) And there are thousand online options :p
im trying i signed up for this website idk if you ever heard of it called "truelovejapan" its supposed to be a website where you can do more than just hook up you can actually meet friends and do language learning with people but i met like 4 weirdos on there already wasted my time going to tokyo to be scared off LOL

Clealry a much MUCH higher percentage of wierdos in Tokyo.
Maybe you could try one of the sugar baby sites? Unless you are looking for ACTUAL friendship. In which case TAG might not be the best place for advice. Mostly it’s ladies selling and men buying.

Clealry a much MUCH higher percentage of wierdos in Tokyo.
Maybe you could try one of the sugar baby sites? Unless you are looking for ACTUAL friendship. In which case TAG might not be the best place for advice. Mostly it’s ladies selling and men buying.
i noticed this way too late LOL I still got some helpful info so its okay I will try to find a decent site for that though seems everything in japan is about sex and if your a foreigner you're even more desirable it seems *sigh* thank you anyways though!

If you live in Okayama city, there are some options to try out to meet people. Google shows there is a 英会話BAR in the city, and you may be able to help them out. Yoga can be a good option, too. Quite a few yoga instructors in Japan are trained and certified in India, which means they can be foreigner-friendly and may not reject your tattoo. Going to church service is also decent option to meet people if you are OK with it. There must be some foreigner-friendly churches in Okayama. Good luck.

Have you checked the public gyms in your area?
Some can be a little obnoxious about having tattoos covered but by law they can't not let you join - unlike the private places.
Tipness, etc are a huge pain in the ass but you might have more luck (and get cheaper prices) at a public place.

One other option to meet people is to do private man-to-man English lessons. You can usually get 3000 yen or so per-hour and sometimes you meet cool people. There are sites where you can post your profile or services that will link you up with students (at a cost to the students but none to you, usually). It can be a good way to make a few bucks in the evening/weekend and also meet a few new people.

P4p is a great hobby, lol!

the problem is i had some tattoos on my hands like on the inside part so i truly do try to cover everything but they make a big deal over everything! even my tongue ring and earrings its more of a hassle than anything i'm going to try some gym called AXTOS or something like that they said they're a little lenient ... i hope
Anti sweat gloves and see through piercing hole fillers?

Reactions: BB0523 and Maxblack
Ok, I can understand onsen that don't allow people with tattoos but a gym...really?

Is it because this gym has a pool and jacuzzi or do they just think people with tattoos are scary and probably dangerous?

Ok, I can understand onsen that don't allow people with tattoos but a gym...really?

Is it because this gym has a pool and jacuzzi or do they just think people with tattoos are scary and probably dangerous?

It’s ostensibly to keep yakuza out. In all honesty, not so much because they scare people but more because they view insurance fraud as a convenient revenue stream. Drop a dumbbell on your foot, threaten to sue, get paid, repeat.

Basically, privately owned gyms pretty much all have that rule.

My gym (Gold’s) is OK with ink as long as it’s covered outside of the shower rooms, there are lots of guys lifting in rash guards. But they’ve got language in the signup forms where you have to state that you aren’t a member of an organized crime group.

Some can be a little obnoxious about having tattoos covered but by law they can't not let you join

Just checked this at my local public gym today. They had a note on the wall stating you need to cover all your tattoos "to reduce fear and uneasiness amongst other users" or something to that effect.

Japanese public gyms can be a good experience.

Once upon a time (yeah, it was that long ago) I was on the bench press in a public gym in Tokyo. I was getting ready for my last set when this cute Japanese attendant in Spandex asks if I need a spotter. I answered in the affirmative so as I am getting into position and reaching up for the bar she basically straddled my face. Her "virtue" was maybe 7 or 8 centimeters above my nose.

THAT was motivation.

Have you checked the public gyms in your area?
Some can be a little obnoxious about having tattoos covered but by law they can't not let you join - unlike the private places.
Tipness, etc are a huge pain in the ass but you might have more luck (and get cheaper prices) at a public place.

One other option to meet people is to do private man-to-man English lessons. You can usually get 3000 yen or so per-hour and sometimes you meet cool people. There are sites where you can post your profile or services that will link you up with students (at a cost to the students but none to you, usually). It can be a good way to make a few bucks in the evening/weekend and also meet a few new people.
I tried the public gym but they kicked me out cause they do have a “pool” and I guess one of the older women complained about the tattoo on my back so they told me I wasn’t allowed to come back LOL I was in the locker room for goodness sakes I actually got some info on here about a gym I’ll check out tomorrow called gunze sports club I don’t know if it’s in Tokyo but there’s one like 15 mins walking from my house so that’s not bad, but for the language lessons I’ll try that I did sign up for school already though to start in April but I do want to get my conversational skill up do you have any tips of where I should look for anything like that? Thanks for you advice too I appreciate it

P4p is a great hobby, lol!

Anti sweat gloves and see through piercing hole fillers?
The probably is mostly in the locker rooms I refuse to work out and leave smelling musty I just gotta take a quick shower or change as for p4p .... I’m a little weary of that LOL

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
It’s ostensibly to keep yakuza out. In all honesty, not so much because they scare people but more because they view insurance fraud as a convenient revenue stream. Drop a dumbbell on your foot, threaten to sue, get paid, repeat.

Basically, privately owned gyms pretty much all have that rule.

My gym (Gold’s) is OK with ink as long as it’s covered outside of the shower rooms, there are lots of guys lifting in rash guards. But they’ve got language in the signup forms where you have to state that you aren’t a member of an organized crime group.
Which is ... I mean okay I can understand but I look nothing like yakuza LOL I honestly think I got kicked out cause I mean the tattoos on my leg no one complained about but the tattoo on my back is a geisha and I think that’s when they where like “oooOOoooo she’s yakuza” ridiculous I found a private gym but it doesn’t have a pool so maybe I’ll have better luck there ... I hope LOL. But there’s a golds gym in japan????? I wonder if there’s one near me hmmm