Investment products?

Hope44

TAG Member
Reaction score
What are some investment products you have seen that you consider as good in terms of risks and returns regardless of minimum dollar requirement? I'll start.

A small percentage of a multi-unit apartment community in a growing city with multiple large employers in different industries in a developed country managed by a team with good track record returning both cash flow and capital gain supported by cheap government supported low interest loan that can double your capital in 5 years with tax deduction opportunity.

disclaimer: I don't sell it, just an example I have seen. :)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Caveat: real estate is LONG-TERM asset appreciation play AND a recurring-income (rent) play. Two very different methods of capital appreciation, each requiring a different set of tools, skills, and criteria to manage properly. The theory is simple, actually getting it to work is the trick. And by "work" I mean if you end up putting so much effort into managing your rental building or whatever, you might have been better off getting a job at a decent salary -- hours in for money out might end up being better.
Also the satisfaction of being self-reliant as opposed to working for someone else (hard to price -- up to the individual), so really depends on you and your situation. I am just wary of youngin's thinking making money is somehow "easy". It ain't. Unless you already start with a nice chunk of it; then it gets much easier. Money begets money.

Caveat: real estate is LONG-TERM asset appreciation play AND a recurring-income (rent) play. Two very different methods of capital appreciation, each requiring a different set of tools, skills, and criteria to manage properly. The theory is simple, actually getting it to work is the trick. And by "work" I mean if you end up putting so much effort into managing your rental building or whatever, you might have been better off getting a job at a decent salary -- hours in for money out might end up being better.
Also the satisfaction of being self-reliant as opposed to working for someone else (hard to price -- up to the individual), so really depends on you and your situation. I am just wary of youngin's thinking making money is somehow "easy". It ain't. Unless you already start with a nice chunk of it; then it gets much easier. Money begets money.
"Easy money" is never easy money.

I'd definitely prefer to be my own boss, i'm not scared to be busy and work hard.

Reactions: rob040188
I'd definitely prefer to be my own boss, i'm not scared to be busy and work hard.
It's a lot easier to work for yourself when you know that results of your business are the direct result of how much work you put into it. I keep my job because I like it... and it provides stability. If I didn't like working in my industry, I'd probably expand my other businesses and be completely independent. It's definitely a lot of hours, but it's so much rewarding when it's your own work.

I don't think I ever want to fully retire, but just achieve financial independence.

Anybody fans of "rich dad poor dad"? Sounded like we are talking about the S and E quadrant. I myself still prefer I and thinking about B.

A small percentage of a multi-unit apartment community in a growing city with multiple large employers in different industries in a developed country managed by a team with good track record returning both cash flow and capital gain supported by cheap government supported low interest loan that can double your capital in 5 years with tax deduction opportunity.

Better chances hitting rich with Nenmatsu Jumbo than finding that in Japan.

Even after several decades I haven't found a single investment opportunity or product I would like to invest. All my money is therefore out of the country.

Reactions: Maxblack
do you mind sharing what you see as good out of the country?
Pick a country with an interest rate higher than Japan. Open a bank account there. Convert yen to that currency. Deposit in bank account. Win.

Reactions: rob040188
Real estate is good, if you are good at choosing it. What ever you invest in, keep your eye on what your money manager charges you for it. Instead of managed funds, etc, you'll make a bunch of money for retirement by putting your money in an index fund account.

Pick a country with an interest rate higher than Japan. Open a bank account there. Convert yen to that currency. Deposit in bank account. Win.
If you are OK with the interest rate fluctuations. JPY moves wildly against every other major currency. I am OK with it but only to a point. I still keep quite a bit in JPY. Mostly cash. It drags down performance, but It is a good hedge against protracted endaka.

Better chances hitting rich with Nenmatsu Jumbo than finding that in Japan.

Even after several decades I haven't found a single investment opportunity or product I would like to invest. All my money is therefore out of the country.
hope you are declaring everything and paying Japanese taxes. With Japan joining CRS the smart money says it would be foolhardy not to. you can try to hide behind BVIs and trusts and whatnot, but then, if you want to stay in Japan and spend some of that money, you are going to have to figure out how to quietly repatriate. I finally just gave up, declared and paid some back taxes. 21 percent of interest and gains. It was painful, but the pig is no longer an outlaw. Still bad but legally bad.

hope you are declaring everything and paying Japanese taxes.

As long as you keep anything under your name at 50 million max and don't sell anything to have gains there is no need to declare anything.

Reactions: Ken1988
As long as you keep anything under your name at 50 million max and don't sell anything to have gains there is no need to declare anything.
True. But under 50 mil is hardly worth hiding anyway.

At the moment nothing is worth hiding as you most probably get caught doing it. Probably doable only if you have that 50 million in dollars...

is there a need for declaring and paying taxes without PR?

PR for visa and tax purposes are two quite different beasts. Live five years and you are permanent resident for tax purposes and you need to declare your assets and pay taxes for all income globally.

Even before that anything you earn in Japan is taxed here.

Reactions: Hope44
There are some good financial advisors in Tokyo that focus on expats. about 3 of them out of probably 200 or so that exist. Find one of those 3 and just do what they say. Its what I do and Ive made safe steady returns on my humble investments through a few downturns. My FA tells me NOT to invest in stuff a lot more than he tells me to invest.

I wasn't sure if this was serious or not, but wouldn't there be some kind of banking service that allows you to open a bank account locally with foreign currency and earn interest rate at the foreigner currency? I've heard that in Hong Kong.
Besides do you have the super power to open bank accounts in foreign countries?
I don't think I have acquired that superpower yet, at least I don't think I can in Japan.

Reactions: MikeH
I wasn't sure if this was serious or not, but wouldn't there be some kind of banking service that allows you to open a bank account locally with foreign currency and earn interest rate at the foreigner currency?

Yes. Can you guess if the rules and exchange rates are setup to provide profit for you or for the bank? :p

Opening accounts in other countries then of course depends on the laws in that country; some are harder like Japan, some are easier like HK. Some are really easy if you have couple of millions of dollars to deposit. :D