Guest viewing is limited

Is this relationship doomed or ??

Robert Lee

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have been dating this girl for almost 5 months now. She: 22 year old Japanese girl working @ a restaurant since after HS, Me: 35 year old US guy living in Japan for 10 years (speak fluent Japanese).

For first month she would want to come over after work and stay over, wanting to make out, and usually having sex on the nights she stayed. Was pretty quick to bring over hair dryer etc type stuff and excited to be BF/GF (told her mom etc). She would want to do bubble baths together, watch netflix, lay around listen to music etc.

Then her shift at worked changed like 2 mos ago and now works until later like 9pm and is always saying how busy she is (she still is off 2 days a week as normal, just used to get out around 6pm). She even said the dreaded "I'm busy this month" thing to me in response to me asking when I could see her, so I told her that it's fine if she doesn't want to meet anymore (instead of giving me that busy this month excuse), but she was super defensive and insistent that she does not do that "Japanese girl" thing and say that, and that she just wouldn't meet me at all if she didn't want to, but she likes me and so she wants to but cant because she is busy.

But over the last 8 weeks she has cancelled plans the day of during her lunch break when we have some reservation or plan to do something (usually we would get dinner or she would come over after work the night before day off and we would have plans the next day) the last 3 out of 4 times, all for "legit" reasons (one was because she had to go to the store w/ her parents the next day,).

It has been around 2 mos since the last time we had sex, and that includes 2 times where she stayed over. The first time was cause she "didnt feel like it", and the 2nd time she was so exhausted from getting off late from work and just made it very apparent with body language that she had no interest, including taking off her clothes and taking a shower in the most unsexual way ever. So it was just sleeping in the same bed with a girl seeming showing no interest. She slept in until like noon the next day and a few times I attempted to snuggle up and get things going but she would just go back to sleep. The last time we did have sex 2 mos ago, it was another day where the morning after where also she slept almost until noon and after laying next to her after she woke up, she got into it.

She does message me everyday and we talk on the phone maybe every other day, and she told me (seemingly excitedly) that she will have a day free to meet in 2 weeks because her schedule is going back to normal, as well as that she did want to do a trip to Taiwan together (something we discussed before) But then she also said she has 2 days off this week, one of which she is going to Odaiba to meet a friend (gender unknown??), which happens to be where our big golden week date plan was at which she cancelled. A few other facts is she lives within 10min from me, and also that at the beginning she did offer to pay for things, but I have always paid for meals etc. The time that I brought up just don't meet me if you don't want to was after we had dinner plans, and before going to the restaurant said she wanted to eat somewhere else (much more expensive), and then half-way thru dinner said that she was going to meet her friend after dinner for drinks, and I got visibly annoyed cause it seemed like I was just paying her dinner bill.

So I don't how much what she says is true vs making stuff up in the way people tell you they would "love to hang out but are busy this month", or if it is just because she is young, or if I am making a big deal out of nothing or??? I have dated a few Japanese girls (none of which were great experiences), but don't have that much experience on how to deal with this kind of thing or if I am missing something really obvious. Any ideas how to proceed with this? Or just cut it off completely?

Thanks!

Reactions: owlet and MikeH
To me it sounds like she has found someone else and is keeping you in store until she finds out how it works with the new guy.

I obviously can be totally wrong about that, but two months without sex while dating alone is so big a red flag that I would just let her go. If it is that bad now think how it will be in 5 or 10 years.

If its obvious that she is very tired the times you do see her after work, i wouldn't doubt what she's saying.

Yes its weird behavior and she could make more time for you but i think thats because she is just totally not used to this scedule.

If she'll work her normal shifts again soon, then i would just sit it out and dont worry so much and see how she will act if she has her normal working hours again.

If I were in your position, I'd assume Hana is right (that she is gone) but keep the door open for the possibility that Alice is right (don't directly end things with her cuz she might just need the space).

All this mental calculus you're doing must be driving you crazy. Additionally, her seeing you get upset about paying for her dinner could only push her away more. From your story, it's clear that she's not bringing you happiness, so it seems likely you will find someone better soon!

Good luck!

Yes its weird behavior and she could make more time for you but i think thats because she is just totally not used to this scedule.

If I read the original post correctly the only thing that changed is she now works in a shift that ends 3 hours later than before. So she doesn't work more than before and has even the same amount of holidays than before. And she has had two months to cope with the change.

If that makes her too tired for sex I would totally be wary of bringing her to Taiwan, that one hour time difference would probably mess her up for the whole trip :p.

Reactions: Guuu
If I read the original post correctly the only thing that changed is she now works in a shift that ends 3 hours later than before. So she doesn't work more than before and has even the same amount of holidays than before. And she has had two months to cope with the change.

If that makes her too tired for sex I would totally be wary of bringing her to Taiwan, that one hour time difference would probably mess her up for the whole trip :p.
Well, her scedule will change back to normal soon so there's no harm in waiting and seeing if she changes back as well.

Some people need A LOT of downtime and if she was acting tired and sleeping a lot the whole time thats a hint that she might be speaking the truth.

Reactions: Wwanderer and MikeH
Wow everyone, thanks for the replies! This is a lot of the discussion I was going back and forth on in my head. Think I will step a bit back from the relationship but still meet after her schedule changes back to see if anything improves.

I'd say you should start making your discreet exit from the relationship. Her saying that she's going off to be with her friends half-way through an expensive meal is pretty damn disrespectful. I'm surprised that you didn't get more pissed.

So 5 months in, and you've gone 2 months with no sex? Sounds to me like she's moved on and is just keeping you around for free meals while she evaluates the new options.

Yea, changes to work schedules can mess you up for a little while, but it doesn't justify using you for a free meal and then heading out with her "friend" afterwards. Rude is just rude, can't justify it because you finish 3 hours later.

I would do the same as her, keep her around while you find someone better, but once you have I would let her go.

You could always do the adult thing though, sit her down, tell her the relationship isn't working for you and discuss whether at this time in your life you are both better off looking for someone that makes you happy.

Some possible reasons:
  • Just her style
  • Loss interest in you
  • New guy - perhaps banging someone from her work (manager / coworker)
  • Side job (sex worker) after work
  • Using you all along
Either way the relationship is doomed even if it gets better. You seem like you're seeking a genuine relationship so I would simply move on. It's not something recommended but perhaps go and see if she is truly working until 9pm? It's not to stalk her but I imagine you would like to know the truth.

It's not something recommended but perhaps go and see if she is truly working until 9pm? It's not to stalk her but I imagine you would like to know the truth.

Well, the first part "It's not something recommended" is very correct. But the rest sounds like the old "I'm not stalking you! I just follow you around because I like you".

What you are suggesting is the very definition of stalking. Pro-tip: when you think it's good idea to do something like that you know it's time to let that relationship to go.

You could always do the adult thing though, sit her down, tell her the relationship isn't working for you and discuss whether at this time in your life you are both better off looking for someone that makes you happy.

Fwiiw, I would almost certainly do something along those lines. Ime, really amazing things sometimes happen when you treat your partner like an adult and behave like one yourself.

-Ww

Well, the first part "It's not something recommended" is very correct. But the rest sounds like the old "I'm not stalking you! I just follow you around because I like you".

What you are suggesting is the very definition of stalking. Pro-tip: when you think it's good idea to do something like that you know it's time to let that relationship to go.

Is it not reasonable for him to know if she is infact working when she says so? I'm not saying to be a creep and follow her but just visit her at the restaurant on a particular day. If not to catch her out on a lie, for him to know if he is definitely making the right decision to end the relationship. This happens all the time and quite common for one partner to see if the other is lying.

While I do see Alice's point of view and recommend you to consider it, I can't help but feel suspicious given all of the changes you've mentioned. Honestly, that dinner scene you described is enough for a very harsh remark on my side, because it feels a bit disrespectful.

Seems like you have a head on your shoulders judging from your comments here, though. I'd distance myself cautiously and mind my own business/stuff while keeping her on the backburner. 2 months without sex is killer: I dated a busy woman with overtime, and she didn't have a problem with sex whatsoever.

Best of luck!

I think she may be enjoying the thrill of other guys dating her, and want to get that experience, after all she is young.

However I would NOT visit the shop to check on her.
If you see her there -> relationship damaged, as she feels that you do not trust her
If you do no see her there -> you can question her, and she can make up excuses -> relationship damaged as you do not trust her
If you do no see her there -> you keep it to yourself -> relationship damaged as you keep thinking about it
You will not gain anything from this and stalker is creepy.

I agree with Hana to be prepared that she may be on the fence of moving on but don't know how to cut ties yet, but use the attitude as Alice suggested, give her time to get used to the schedule and things may turn around. Only you can answer how long you are willing to wait.

However I would suggest against trip to Taiwan until you are comfortable with the relationship again.

I think she may be enjoying the thrill of other guys dating her, and want to get that experience, after all she is young.

However I would NOT visit the shop to check on her.
If you see her there -> relationship damaged, as she feels that you do not trust her
If you do no see her there -> you can question her, and she can make up excuses -> relationship damaged as you do not trust her
If you do no see her there -> you keep it to yourself -> relationship damaged as you keep thinking about it
You will not gain anything from this and stalker is creepy.

I agree with Hana to be prepared that she may be on the fence of moving on but don't know how to cut ties yet, but use the attitude as Alice suggested, give her time to get used to the schedule and things may turn around. Only you can answer how long you are willing to wait.

However I would suggest against trip to Taiwan until you are comfortable with the relationship again.
Yes, not going to Taiwan is a good advise, it could get very awkward.

I agree that OP should keep in mind she is very young.
A lot of guys think "yaay, tight young girlfriend" but then they are not prepared to deal with a childish mentality. Bit one sided.

She is very young and has to work hard. :(
I dont know if she's seeing another guy but i wouldn't hold it against her that she wants to hang out with friends.

are you asian? sounds like gaijin boy toy experience
otherwise shes lost interest in you and seems like your lifestyle/job doesn't satisfy her as much as she thought it would

Yes she seems busy. But busy with what? Why don't you ask her?

I usually interpret busy as meaning you're low priority (unless someone has to do lots of overwork). I bet she isn't busy if her favorite actor asks her for a date.

Reactions: owlet and MikeH
I think she may have lost interest, but doesn't want or doesn't know how to cut the relationship off just yet.
I would have lost interest too if a girl told me "it's fine if you don't want to meet anymore (instead of giving me that busy this month excuse)" after I said that I'm busy this month.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Is it not reasonable for him to know if she is infact working when she says so? I'm not saying to be a creep and follow her but just visit her at the restaurant on a particular day. If not to catch her out on a lie, for him to know if he is definitely making the right decision to end the relationship. This happens all the time and quite common for one partner to see if the other is lying.
I agree with Mike, if he needs a proof it means he doesn't trust her and that means he'd better detach from her.

While I do see Alice's point of view and recommend you to consider it, I can't help but feel suspicious given all of the changes you've mentioned. Honestly, that dinner scene you described is enough for a very harsh remark on my side, because it feels a bit disrespectful.

Seems like you have a head on your shoulders judging from your comments here, though. I'd distance myself cautiously and mind my own business/stuff while keeping her on the backburner. 2 months without sex is killer: I dated a busy woman with overtime, and she didn't have a problem with sex whatsoever.

Best of luck!
If the dinner part bugs him he can just tell her to invite him for once.
I would refrain from expressing if it was a one night stand but in a LTR there is no reason to keep things inside.

Yes, not going to Taiwan is a good advise, it could get very awkward.

I agree that OP should keep in mind she is very young.
A lot of guys think "yaay, tight young girlfriend" but then they are not prepared to deal with a childish mentality. Bit one sided.

She is very young and has to work hard. :(
I dont know if she's seeing another guy but i wouldn't hold it against her that she wants to hang out with friends.
I'd never miss the chance to travel somewhere with someone.
What I'd do if I was in his stead would be lowering expectations about this relation and keeping my options open with other girls while seeing this one normally and doing things as planned.

She is seeing someone else already. Just ignore her and see someone else yourself. Maybe she will come contact you later, but if not just move on. Dont think too much about it.

I have been watching Japanese women behavior a lot and all seems the same to me. Many many lies when they do not want you anymore. They make a lot of excuses. Even things that make ni sense to have an excuse. I recommend to do the same in return: don't reply the fucking Line messages, don't even read it, make yourself excuses for not going out with her or make an appointment and cancel it at the last moment by saying that your friend wants to meet you. When she asks you to go somewhere nice for lunch/dinner, say that you are busy until next week, when she is about to come to your room say you have an urgent matter and have to leave, etc.