Isamic State - Japanese Hostage

Username1

Reaction score
Its a tragedy for those involved but they really shouldn't have put themselves in such a situation. It's a simple way to look at this I know. Curious to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Reactions: Jimmydr
"Independent journalist" = "I have a deathwish"

The wussy ones write about Japan instead.

Reactions: just4fun
Abe should spend the $200 mil on naplam and send that over immediately.......the peace lover that I am......

Reactions: Sudsy and Jimmydr
Its a tragedy for those involved but they really shouldn't have put themselves in such a situation. It's a simple way to look at this I know. Curious to hear your thoughts on this matter.

One of the journalists does a lot of humanitarian work involving refugees, and he reports on their plight. So it is very sad if he loses his life. For both of them I feel very sorry. They were just doing their job, a dangerous job granted, but a job
few people have the courage and dedication to do. Perhaps we should admire them. This same man, has done work in Afghanistan too. Something I could never do.

You know the job, the risks involved and still proceeded? Tough cookie if you get burned.

Let's just hope for the best here.

Actually don't quite understand why they targeted japanese this time... If you think about it, Japan has one of the highest deficits in the world and for another.. There isn't really a military that can do offensive strikes (though if Abe has his way that will change...) Are they really just trying to piss off more people in the world?

Actually don't quite understand why they targeted japanese this time... If you think about it, Japan has one of the highest deficits in the world and for another.. There isn't really a military that can do offensive strikes (though if Abe has his way that will change...) Are they really just trying to piss off more people in the world?
Abe has guaranteed to give financial support to the fight against terrorism.....including these clowns that are holding these two Japanese hostages. I don't think they're going to make it. Yes, I agree with the above statements.....it's something I can't really do......but you do know that one of them was a photographer/arms dealer.......

200 million is quite an amount to be asking. Japan will obviously not be paying this for various reasons. Perhaps Abe should just tell the terrorist to release the hostage, or else they will be donating an additional 200 million to fight against their cause. Abe should have been more careful with how he voiced his support.

Reactions: KumaDog and Jimmydr
I don't understand terrorists sometimes.

It's been heavily depicted in media, movies, books and all sorts of medium that government bodies absolutely DO NOT negotiate with terrorists.

I think there's more to this than just a simple ransom game.

What usualy happens with hostages is that they are sold on to ISIS by smaller rogue groups. I just heard something about a Turkish guide betraying them.

Its almost certain the ransom wont be paid bcoz of the publicity. Ransoms are usualy paid in secret and thats where ISIS gets a lot of its funds.

I feel very sorry for the journalist but have little sympathy for the profiteer.

I guess a lot of the time they put a ransom on their heads just so they can try to justify their actions and lay the blame on someone else, believing that this will sway opinions in their favour.

"Well, we gave your country a get out, it's your countries fault we killed them because they would not pay the ransom"

$200 million is a ridiculous amount of money, nobody would pay this, so I feel the inevitable will happen. Dragging countries like Japan into this conflict isn't going to bode well for international stability or their cause, they are just isolating themselves from every nation one by one.

Reactions: Qong02
I agree, it's kinda like the World Trade Center incident, if you target a place and not saying they should, they shouldn't have gone for one where almost every county it's a part of... I'm fully American and I have my own gripes about some really uncultured and pompous americans but I still don't understand how this sways anyone towards your cause. In this day and age we have learned that violent provocations don't solve much and they provoke a violent reaction instead. Just my 2cents.

Would you believe that Asahi Shinbun is actually advocating paying the terrorists off? And would you believe that there is an undercurrent of Japanese (it's scuttlebutt, but the number I am hearing is 30-40% of those polled) who say that Japan should send the cash?

I asked my colleagues today about this and they said most Japanese don't care about this issue. They were more interested in the soccer and tennis!

Reactions: k1234k and just4fun
Sad, but not unexpected. It may be safer for a country's people to be muted (or even apathetic) in response to terrorists.

Any country that sticks out in opposition to radical extremists gets hammered down hard.

It's like giving treats to a whining dog. If you ignore them, they eventually go away and shit on someone else's lawn.

Reactions: KumaDog
I feel bad for Goto who was trying to get Yukawa released. Yukawa has been in this spot a few times. His military goods business failed and wife died of cancer. He seems to have snapped at some point to the point he cut off all or part of his....penis. He's been hospitalized and has made several trips to Iraq trying to join the fight. Problem, he doesn't speak Arabic but claims he converted to Islam some years ago. Militias have been selling him to each other back and forth with one group trying to keep him out of IS's hands. Finally someone gave him over.

Abe should have just given the aid (its for refugees) and shut up about it. But nooooooooooooo, he opens his yap to catch some praise and boom.
I've read they are working on some sort of payment.
Japanese people, as a whole are probably embarrassed or annoyed by this. Anyone (Japanese) who knows Yukawa's story is fairly well done with him. The cartoons involving photo shop and the orange suit pic are not flattering or supportive. Quite the contrary.
If the doner kabob places start closing up and muslims start packing it...be prepared. 2cents

Reactions: just4fun
I don't understand terrorists sometimes.

It's been heavily depicted in media, movies, books and all sorts of medium that government bodies absolutely DO NOT negotiate with terrorists.

I think there's more to this than just a simple ransom game.

Ronald Reagan? Peter Moore? Governments most certainly do negotiate, just not in the spotlight for obvious reasons.

Ronald Reagan? Peter Moore? Governments most certainly do negotiate, just not in the spotlight for obvious reasons.

Certainly true. Abe's gov was complaining they could not get in contact with the IS people directly. Weird, but they apparently were trying and said that.

Seriously? Is that the reason why there's a lot of hate regarding Ronald Reagan?

Seriously? Is that the reason why there's a lot of hate regarding Ronald Reagan?

Not the sole reason. He is the reason for the birth of the Neo-conservatives, he's responsible for the war on drugs, "reaganomics ", the end of several social programs, and more. All of this should probably be saved for its own thread or discussed elsewhere though. You're opening a real can of worms if you're asking me why I don't like Reagan.

Ronald Reagan was a tool for the current US shadow government. They picked him cause he was an actor and could play grandpa really well. His insertion was planned for decades. Baker, Cheney, Bush, Sr. those are the managers for the viper pit. Check the doc "Fog of War" for the lowdown. The video of Reagan rambling on and Baker stepping forward and saying, "Step it up" are noteworthy. Reagan already had debilitating affects of Alzheimers while president. It was often reported he would fall asleep at cabinet meetings.