Guest viewing is limited

Japan ISP's - A Fresh Look - Best Performance vs Cost?

Update at 21:38 - 80mbps.

I guess that’ll do for your purposes, Chris, as daytime speeds are likely as fast or faster than nighttime speeds. I’ll do one more check tomorrow in the middle of the day and give you one last update then.

Attachments

• 19EA28B4-34F5-49A3-8602-741532542F1B.png
    19EA28B4-34F5-49A3-8602-741532542F1B.png
    71 KB · Views: 111
They are fine for the purpose at hand. (y)
no, because, in general, your ISP is more important than the cable that comes into your room. eg
Even after I got the 1gbps line, I was seeing ~300-700mpbs regularly. Now, in the evenings,I can easily upload a 5gb data file with a steady 300mbps, but download that same file again? ...come back in a couple of hours. Haha.

There is no way Asahi Net would ever give me 250bps.

Attachments

• fastcom.png
    fastcom.png
    67 KB · Views: 89
no, because, in general, your ISP is more important than the cable that comes into your room. eg
Yes. Thus I’m asking for some samples from the guy with NURO. The line in my house is my own and I know what the raw line speed is, but due to the ISP management, the actual tangible bandwidth never really makes full use of the local line speed.

@SoapFTW - thank you for sharing.

The attached is a sample from tonight’s quality. As usual the upload is booming but the download is maxing at 22 at the moment.

5C9BD54F-B608-4158-B64F-D669699540F1.jpeg

Reactions: SoapFTW
Sorry I can't actually contribute anything worthwhile but whenever these sorts of topics come up on international boards, it always makes me realize just how expensive Internet access (and cell phone service) is here in Ontario. I'm currently paying the equivalent of about 4100 Yen for 28x1 over HFC. The highest speed I could get without changing providers is 300x20 (Gigabit over HFC is available, but my reseller doesn't offer it), for around 6600 Yen. Only one carrier, the legacy phone company, offers Gigabit FTTH (the government has ordered them to open their network, but no-one else is actually offering the service yet) and it's 9000 Yen.

Sorry I can't actually contribute anything worthwhile but whenever these sorts of topics come up on international boards, it always makes me realize just how expensive Internet access (and cell phone service) is here in Ontario. I'm currently paying the equivalent of about 4100 Yen for 28x1 over HFC. The highest speed I could get without changing providers is 300x20 (Gigabit over HFC is available, but my reseller doesn't offer it), for around 6600 Yen. Only one carrier, the legacy phone company, offers Gigabit FTTH (the government has ordered them to open their network, but no-one else is actually offering the service yet) and it's 9000 Yen.

Japan’s benefit is that it’s a small country and the infrastructure costs aren’t as steep when compared to having lay hundreds of miles of fiber and maintain it in those North American landscapes. I can’t remember what I had before I moved to Japan but it was bundled with a cable TV service. If I recall correctly there is still a heft amount of dark fiber laid around the country that isn’t being used for various reasons. At least one friend in the states is paying ~$150 USD for 1gpbs fiber with some basic TV service. I’ve got phone, tv and 1gpbs fiber for ~8,000 yen in total/month.

Japan’s benefit is that it’s a small country and the infrastructure costs aren’t as steep when compared to having lay hundreds of miles of fiber and maintain it in those North American landscapes.

Yeah, there is that. And prices are uniform (for equal service; FTTH isn't even available in most of the province, for example) at least across all of Southern Ontario, so basically Toronto, and to a lesser extent the rest of the Greater Toronto Area, subsidizes the people out in the boonies. Which at least means people in the smaller places, who generally have lower incomes, aren't paying even higher rates.

Hi @TAG Manager , last update. This morning at 9:12am with NURO, 460mbps.

Attachments

• 13C22F39-749B-485F-B026-72D97C512A90.png
    13C22F39-749B-485F-B026-72D97C512A90.png
    72 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: TAG Manager
I use FLETS Hikari and Asahi.net, and have since 2001 (DSL at that time :p). Never had a problem, and always super fast.