Guest viewing is limited

Japan Opening Up? From April 8, 2022 | Now October 11, 2022 - Normal Tourism.

Except the “offenders”, assuming drinks and towels are really even offenses, were all Japanese…. And no one gave a darn about any of it.
Then they must have been 5th generation Koreans or similar. Because we all know that pure Yamato blood people always respect the rules!!! :D

Reactions: Requiemmorrow
Big Language school near me. Outside yappin away with no masks. I think out of the kindness of my black little heart I'll mention something so it doesn't reflect on us all.

countries opening up borders yet japan still on hold..
Borders was closed because vaccine was not yet available, and now it is time to move on.
still japan is still very uncertain to opening up soon, i am sure my trips to japan this year is lesser now, reserving only 2 trips OCT and NOV, that is my hopes.
Was keeping all my leaves this year for tobita, now i really have to give up some, i prefer japan trip to bangkok trips, if i have the choices.
booked 2 short weekend trips(fri-monday) to bangkok Aug, and planning another 2 on sept.
next year , hope is better, i will make up all for tobita.

Big Language school near me. Outside yappin away with no masks. I think out of the kindness of my black little heart I'll mention something so it doesn't reflect on us all.

Doesn't make any difference. I just spent two weeks in early May in Europe with people there coughing up packed bars & clubs without masks, including myself (not the coughing part), and PCR tested 3x negative and allowed back in Japan. Still negative, but my kid has the antibody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: just4fun
Flew into Haneda the other day. I had to go through a separate quarantine line before passing through immigration. I showed my paperwork (test results and QR code). My test results had already been checked by the airline before boarding my flight. Showed the officials that I had downloaded the MySOS app. After all that I got the coveted blue paper.

Immigration is quite a hike from the quarantine line. By the time I cleared immigration, I didn’t have to wait for my checked bag. At least customs was quick.

It blows my mind basically. At this point you have more chance at getting Corona in Japan just by going out to some bar or club or party, yet you're stuck having to get vaccinated, which is only for your own well-being only and doesn't prevent you from getting it and or giving it to others.
I guess they want no NEW cases, but when they've got thousands if not more cases every day, how does it matter at this point?...

It blows my mind basically. At this point you have more chance at getting Corona in Japan just by going out to some bar or club or party, yet you're stuck having to get vaccinated, which is only for your own well-being only and doesn't prevent you from getting it and or giving it to others.
I guess they want no NEW cases, but when they've got thousands if not more cases every day, how does it matter at this point?...

FYI, anti-vaxxers are generally not well-received around here, or anywhere, as it should be. And the point of requiring visiting foreigners to be vaccinated was never about preventing them from getting infected or even spreading it, but reducing the chances that said foreign traveler--should he or she get infected while in Japan--will not become seriously ill and burden the healthcare system. But let me tell you, homeboy, I am so, SO glad I will have the ability to come back and visit before unrestricted tourism resumes all the classless assholes like you are allowed back in (and I hope it's not until 2025). There's a reason the majority of Japanese citizens (and even resident expats, ask around TAG) don't want you in the country and I certainly don't blame them.

Reactions: AsiaHand
FYI, anti-vaxxers are generally not well-received around here, or anywhere, as it should be. And the point of requiring visiting foreigners to be vaccinated was never about preventing them from getting infected or even spreading it, but reducing the chances that said foreign traveler--should he or she get infected while in Japan--will not become seriously ill and burden the healthcare system. But let me tell you, homeboy, I am so, SO glad I will have the ability to come back and visit before unrestricted tourism resumes all the classless assholes like you are allowed back in (and I hope it's not until 2025). There's a reason the majority of Japanese citizens (and even resident expats, ask around TAG) don't want you in the country and I certainly don't blame them.

W O W .. Seriously. First, I'm not ANTI-VAX as you assume. So I don't deserve that. I've been vaccinated.
And I'll agree of course that having a vaccination reduces the risk to a certain degree of being impacted in such a severe way so as to cause some 'burden' on the health system in Japan.

And... I don't think I'll go all ape on someone for posting their opinion by calling them some "Classless Asshole". Nice to meet you too...

This is how i see.
My local customer has a Japanese wife, she told him his country got no respect of citizen right, they were force to do things unwillingly, where Japanese has the constitional right for their citizen, they cnt b force to take vacinne.
The reason why they oso cnt force tourists to be vacinnated
Now it is spreading rapidly among the youngs and they are not voluntering to take it for the 7wave.
It is spreading locally now and no reason to close border.
They r slow, indecsive be it poltically reasons.
If they had open for tourist the day they only allow tour agent, then they can remain as status quo like now they dun restrict local movement/activities.
It is difficult now to open to tourist.
So they basically close as long as they can and now i choose to go bangkok instead.

Reactions: Fifty Fifty
With how it is, Taiwan is probably opening up for tourists before Japan :(

I've talked to a few dudes at prefectural level govt tourism offices.
They won't commit to anything but their thoughts are.

1. Japan is not going to open while it accounts for over a third of the global Covid numbers
2. Goto Travel will need to run a few months before they open the borders
3. So the earliest they are looking at is prob November but that will depend a lot on if they can get the current wave under control

W O W .. Seriously. First, I'm not ANTI-VAX as you assume. So I don't deserve that. I've been vaccinated.
And I'll agree of course that having a vaccination reduces the risk to a certain degree of being impacted in such a severe way so as to cause some 'burden' on the health system in Japan.

And... I don't think I'll go all ape on someone for posting their opinion by calling them some "Classless Asshole". Nice to meet you too...
There are a lot of trigger words on the internet today. Hell, our current society is riddled with them. The word vaccine causes some people to scratch their elbows...it's seriously psychological warfare waged these days that went beyond government corruption to our YouTube channels and smartphone apps.

I just shrug it all off and focus on mongering. Besides, blowing your load in a Japanese woman makes anything @Keihan say funny, even if he directed it toward you to get under your skin.

For the record, though, I am glad you got your vaccine. Now, play the game like the rest of us, obey the rules, keep your mouth shut until you get good at reading the atmosphere (Japanese call it "kuuki yomi," and despite what people say I think it still is somewhat attainable with little Japanese ability), and we will all get along just fine. :D

OK, fine...I can admit when I was a bit out of line. But in my defense, I do have a very valid excuse. Bear with me, you'll agree. Two days ago I was strolling through Costco and discovered they now carried that stupid ass TRULY hard seltzer and it even came in a variety 30-pack for only $30. For some reason this seemed like a good idea, and the other half doesn't care what I buy so in the wagon it went. I got home, and put one of each (five) flavor in the freezer. An hour later I began my sampling marathon, and discovered that four out of the five flavors taste like absolute shit.

Not one to waste money (or alcohol), last night I decided to start clearing that shit out to make room for more Costco experimental drinks, but they're only 5% alcohol and even after eight or nine of them I really couldn't feel much of a satisfactory buzz going. Bored, I decided to mix up an old faithful (quadruple Kirkland vodka and lime seltzer water on ice), put back a couple of those with a couple Asahi tallboys and then found my way here to TAG with an epic buzz creeping in behind the eyes and $30 worth of nastiness to get out of my system. And there you were!

Don't take it personally. You could've started taking about raising capital gains taxes and banning more guns and I would've ended up pounding out enraged vitriol for two or three hours until I passed out at my office desk and woke up with wet underwear, sticky feet and a very angry other half. With Kirkland, all things are possible.

If it's that Hard Seltzer they've been selling in Japan, then I can provide some empathy, as that stuff is just horrid. 9% Chu-Hai tastes better even! (Jet fuel.. I'd recommend the orange flavor)

About my opinion. No prob with disagreements. I don't mind constructive banter and willing to keep an open mind as long as I'm not getting the Brave Heart treatment right from the get go without even a chance to get off the couch.

Best of luck finding your perfect alcohol combination.

I don't mind if they want to limit inbound international travelers... It is their country and they can do whatever.

But I do find it aggravating that Japanese nationals have no restrictions traveling around the world right now and returning home. That double standard is absolutely annoying for me.

Have to make a decision between spending vacation time just sitting at home or travel to some place not Japan. haha

I don't think it is isolation or protectionism.

There reason for slowly letting ppl in b/c of old population or whatever is reasonable... but their citizens can travel to USA while USA is experiencing massive Covid wave and return home without any problems, but we have to go through a bunch of hoops or limits on getting in.

If you think the younger generation is not getting more xenophobic you missed the last 20 years of east Asia political developments. It's less visible in Japan than Korea or China but angry young male resentment is here to stay.

Reactions: Fifty Fifty