Guest viewing is limited

Japan Vets: Were the Old Days Better and if so, How?

JPRef90

TAG Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time I've created an account, really like the advice and insights that are shared by the community, especially from those living in Japan 20+ years

As an expat who recently moved to Tokyo, I'd like to know how different was life like in the 90s and early 2000's. In the states, with the increase in technology, nighlife has changed. I remember going to nightclubs w/friends dancing (grinding) w/girls and meeting new people there. Now that's not the norm at all and most people go to bars strictly conversing with their friends group, with the rare occurrence of separate groups overlapping.

However, here in Tokyo much seems to remain the same. Not unusual to hit on people at bar/clubs, still have niche bars/shops etc for specific tastes, taxi's used the same 90's body style, fax machines at work, etc. Harajuku may not have the cray lolita girls as fashion trends have changed but I do still see pockets of young people expressing themselves in creative ways which is nice to see. That's what I love about Tokyo, no matter what subculture you're into, you can still have niche shops/communities dedicated to nearly everything.

So as the youngbuck new in town, what have I missed out on from the past that used to be better?

Reactions: Gina and Simonka
So as the youngbuck new in town, what have I missed out on from the past that used to be better?

1) White people were still a hot commodity. Any white person with a pulse could walk into a club or bar and get laid that night.

2) Unskilled expats with undergrad degrees could get paid more for doing less.

3) The exchange rate was far better (USD wise). When I'd get my hands on stacks of C-notes while back stateside on vacation and came back, I'd go to the UFJ exchange counter then go on a crazy ass shopping spree.

4) You could still beat the shit out of other expats (especially from developing countries) and the cops wouldn't arrest either party, so long as no native was harmed in the melee.

5) I (Japanese American) was still considered exotic and was offered much more ass just for the intrigue and experience (is it just as small as native?). I provided affirmative confirmation of this.

1) White people were still a hot commodity. Any white person with a pulse could walk into a club or bar and get laid that night.

2) Unskilled expats with undergrad degrees could get paid more for doing less.

3) The exchange rate was far better (USD wise). When I'd get my hands on stacks of C-notes while back stateside on vacation and came back, I'd go to the UFJ exchange counter then go on a crazy ass shopping spree.

4) You could still beat the shit out of other expats (especially from developing countries) and the cops wouldn't arrest either party, so long as no native was harmed in the melee.

5) I (Japanese American) was still considered exotic and was offered much more ass just for the intrigue and experience (is it just as small as native?). I provided affirmative confirmation of this.

was your old name not considered politically incorrect back then too?

Japanese weren’t big on real names & your own photo online. If you met someone online there was a 50/50 chance of them being attractive. Facebook was the first time people used their real names & photos online (semi publicly).

was your old name not considered politically incorrect back then too?

I don't think the word "Chikan" was every politically incorrect. It's certainly not something a person would name himself and expect a positive result but I can't imagine it would offend anyone. Not sure what it was like in Tokyo but every train station in Osaka (and train car, and station corridor) was plastered with these huge red/white "CHIKAN AKAN!!" signs. I don't believe I see those anymore. Seems to have been replaced by an animated poster warning the men not to vomit onto the train tracks as they might fall off the platform. Only Osakan retards would really need a sign like that.

I don't think the word "Chikan" was every politically incorrect. It's certainly not something a person would name himself and expect a positive result but I can't imagine it would offend anyone. Not sure what it was like in Tokyo but every train station in Osaka (and train car, and station corridor) was plastered with these huge red/white "CHIKAN AKAN!!" signs. I don't believe I see those anymore. Seems to have been replaced by an animated poster warning the men not to vomit onto the train tracks as they might fall off the platform. Only Osakan retards would really need a sign like that.

I guess I should have asked would people be more likely to laugh it off if you names yourself that rather than have a negative reaction to it.

but judging by the fact those posters don't exist anymore that doesn't seem to be the case.

Muse in Nishi-azabu. It was basically a free brothel in the early 2000's, then too many white guys got the same idea and it became basically 90% men on a Friday night.

Gaspanic - yeah I said it. That place was actually fun in around 2000-2005 if you could get over yourself and just have fun. No-one there trying to look cool, just get stupid drunk at 3am on a Tuesday and McTeachers hooking up with retail workers that had weekdays off. Last time I ever went in like 2012 or something it had lost its soul - it was always bottom of the barrel but in a fun way, by 2012 it was just kinda sad and weird.

Toshimaen in the summer in early 2000's - white guys weren't a novelty in Tokyo but in Toshimaen you'd be rare enough to not really have to do anything to get attention. Again weekdays not weekends (weekends were mostly families) - weekdays the place was full of bored retail workers and students looking for someone to take them out after a swim.

Im all nostalgic now.

I guess I should have asked would people be more likely to laugh it off if you names yourself that rather than have a negative reaction to it.

but judging by the fact those posters don't exist anymore that doesn't seem to be the case.

I may be wrong but I guess he doesn't use that name in his actual real life? Just on the anonymous forum for people talking about various ways to get laid in Tokyo.

I may be wrong but I guess he doesn't use that name in his actual real life? Just on the anonymous forum for people talking about various ways to get laid in Tokyo.

exactly..you may be wrong, you never know.

I may be wrong but I guess he doesn't use that name in his actual real life?

cool! If so I’m going to use it in my actual real life then. I want to be that only gaijin whose name is Chikan and watch the giggles and embarrassed faces!

cool! If so I’m going to use it in my actual real life then. I want to be that only gaijin whose name is Chikan and watch the giggles and embarrassed faces!

chikan with a soft c..the soft c is crucial

Gaspanic - yeah I said it. That place was actually fun in around 2000-2005 if you could get over yourself and just have fun. No-one there trying to look cool, just get stupid drunk at 3am on a Tuesday and McTeachers hooking up with retail workers that had weekdays off. Last time I ever went in like 2012 or something it had lost its soul - it was always bottom of the barrel but in a fun way, by 2012 it was just kinda sad and weird.

I actually heard whispers about something called "Gaspanic" during my early years in Osaka (early 2000s) but never made the trip up to Tokyo to find out what exactly it was. I guess the equivalent we had in Osaka was Club Pur in Namba, steps away from the Dotonbori Bridge and Glico Man. Around a 2k yen entry fee, party started around 10pm until sunrise, all you can drink hard liquor, 90% horny eikawa dipshits and scumbag Brazilians and 10% village bicycle town pump club skanks looking to squat on anything white, black or brown. You could fuck in any empty corner, but the classier dames would lead you outside of the club and go at it under the bridge. Quite romantic, watching the sun come up reflecting off the Dontobori while pumping some ganguro bimbo from behind with your urine-soaked jeans around your ankles and scoring disgusted looks from the early bird senior citizens out for their power walks.

I actually heard whispers about something called "Gaspanic" during my early years in Osaka (early 2000s) but never made the trip up to Tokyo to find out what exactly it was. I guess the equivalent we had in Osaka was Club Pur in Namba, steps away from the Dotonbori Bridge and Glico Man. Around a 2k yen entry fee, party started around 10pm until sunrise, all you can drink hard liquor, 90% horny eikawa dipshits and scumbag Brazilians and 10% village bicycle town pump club skanks looking to squat on anything white, black or brown. You could fuck in any empty corner, but the classier dames would lead you outside of the club and go at it under the bridge. Quite romantic, watching the sun come up reflecting off the Dontobori while pumping some ganguro bimbo from behind with your urine-soaked jeans around your ankles and scoring disgusted looks from the early bird senior citizens out for their power walks.

Were Sam and Dave‘s joints still around in your days?

Reactions: SoapFTW

yes, very similar, but instead of under the bridge there was a park with a children's play area.

Reactions: Keihan
Were Sam and Dave‘s joints still around in your days?

You're fucking right they were around, and Sam and Dave's was, hands down, the most awful thing that could ever happen to a young man. I think they had two locations in Umeda back in those days. If you were dumb enough to step through the doorway, there were just two guarantees. One, you would wake up broke and in pain. Two, if you were unfortunate enough to have any recollection of the night, the memory of what you put your penis in (or drunkenly tried to) would haunt you for days, even weeks.

You're fucking right they were around, and Sam and Dave's was, hands down, the most awful thing that could ever happen to a young man. I think they had two locations in Umeda back in those days. If you were dumb enough to step through the doorway, there were just two guarantees. One, you would wake up broke and in pain. Two, if you were unfortunate enough to have any recollection of the night, the memory of what you put your penis in (or drunkenly tried to) would haunt you for days, even weeks.

ah... it got worse over time then...

yes, very similar, but instead of under the bridge there was a park with a children's play area.

That's not a bad thing. Play areas probably facilitate easier intercourse, and also have objects behind which such classy girls can squat to urinate or puke up all those Long Island Ice Teas. Better than getting it on your shoes and having to smell it the entire 6am train ride home.

That's not a bad thing. Play areas probably facilitate easier intercourse, and also have objects behind which such classy girls can squat to urinate or puke up all those Long Island Ice Teas. Better than getting it on your shoes and having to smell it the entire 6am train ride home.
No long island ice teas was Muse. Gas Panic the girls didnt even need to get drunk

It is not true that in the early nineties as a white guy you could easily walk to a club and get laid.

There would be someone who grabbed you already on your way there to fuck you and then show around to her friends as the exotic boyfriend.

The only things required were white skin and total lack of Japanese skills. I fortunately have mastered the first and quickly learned to fake the other and after that it was a heaven for a nerdy grad student.

When I arrived in Tokyo, gyaru, decora and lolita fashion were still in. Even though these styles don’t compliment my gaijin monster body type I loved to go to Harajuku and observe the crowds of young people expressing themselves through fashion. The most fascinating style was shironuri, which translates into “white painting”. The shironuri girls I saw on Takeshita Doori were performance artists, walking pieces of art. Nowadays young people have toned down a lot, so did my personal style.

Nightclub scene has changed a lot too. I’ve met some veteran ladies (now they must be in their late forties or early fifties) who made tons of money in early 2000’s who are now retired and don’t have to work another day for the rest of their lives. They were reminiscing of the glorious days of Tokyo nightclubs before the economic crisis. I wasn’t of legal age then, sounds like another city in another era.
Since the beginning of 2020 coronavirus has hit many clubs, and small businesses who cater to hostesses. My nail technician complains about her previous customers who work as hostesses not booking appointments as frequently as they used to. They get nail extensions with crystal ornaments which cost more than twice of a simple OL manicure so my technician can profit more off their nails. She jokes that I should get those crazy stiletto nails to help with her commission a bit since we are working from home.

I wonder if Olympics alone can revive the fuzoku and mizu shobai industry.

Last edited:
That park has to be one of the most oddly placed parks in Tokyo.

Some of the parks in Tokyo are build in order to prohibit lover hotels and such being opened in the area.

Reactions: Fifty Fifty