Japanese-Korean American starting college in Tokyo this Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Shizuka. I am half-Japanese + half-Korean, but raised near Boston in the United States.

My Japanese is not great, but not too bad. My Korean is not as strong though.

I will be attending college in Tokyo this Spring, which I am very excited about. I wanted to improve my Japanese language skills through total-immersion, hence why I applied to schools in Japan. I also applied to schools in Seoul and Busan too, but got rejected. (sigh) I also wanted to be as far away from my parents as possible, so being on the opposite side of the planet is perfect for me.

I really wanted to be a K-pop idol, but at 18, I am probably already too old. Plus my weaker Korean language skills does not help matters. So, instead, I think I would like to become a professional K-pop or J-pop dancer. Though, at 148cm, I worry I might be considered too short.

I also would like to become a fashion designer, which is why I will be studying clothing. Yes, the college I will be attending actually has a Department of Clothing. I figure I will continue dancing as a hobby or extracurricular activity... and attend tryouts in the area.

Anyways, it is nice to meet you all.
Shizuka

Last edited:
The world is your oyster! And the future is in your hands. Tokyo, and all of Japan, is as safe and sane a place as the world can offer. Use common sense, keep your wits about you, know that you always have good options, and life will be good.

Reactions: sakura12 and Alice
Hello,

My name is Shizuka. I am half-Japanese + half-Korean, but raised near Boston in the United States.

I will be attending college in Tokyo this Spring, which I am very excited about. I wanted to improve my Japanese language skills through total-immersion, hence why I applied to schools in Japan. I also applied to schools in Seoul and Busan too, but got rejected. (sigh) I also wanted to be as far away from my parents as possible, so being on the opposite side of the planet is perfect for me.

I really wanted to be a K-pop idol, but at 18, I am probably already too old. Plus my weaker Korean language skills does not help matters. So, instead, I think I would like to become a professional K-pop or J-pop dancer. Though, at 148cm, I worry I might be considered too short.

I also would like to become a fashion designer, which is why I will be studying clothing. Yes, the college I will be attending actually has a Department of Clothing. I figure I will continue dancing as a hobby or extracurricular activity... and attend tryouts in the area.

Shizuka
がんばって!

And your height won't be an issue. I've encountered dancers here who are 143, 144cm tall and they still dance expertly. Focus more on improving your technique and figuring out what your body is capable of. Best of luck in your future endeavors...although I am admittedly curious as to why you chose a site about fuzoku to socialize on.

Reactions: Alice
L
Hello,

Shizu
Good luck in Japan! You’ve got a bright future ahead of you - enjoy every day!

Reactions: Alice
がんばって!

And your height won't be an issue. I've encountered dancers here who are 143, 144cm tall and they still dance expertly. Focus more on improving your technique and figuring out what your body is capable of. Best of luck in your future endeavors...although I am admittedly curious as to why you chose a site about fuzoku to socialize on.
Thanks!

To answer your question, I joined because I will have to work part-time in Japan to earn money. Unfortunately I learned that Japan pay is quite low, and regular part-time jobs pay even worse. Plus there is a 28 work hours per week limit for student visa holders, making my situation even worse. I don't have parents that I can rely on, so... I am keeping my options open regarding earning income. Plus I wanted to learn more about the pros and cons of me pursuing this route. And learn what actually occurs during encounters, etc.

Thanks!

To answer your question, I joined because I will have to work part-time in Japan to earn money. Unfortunately I learned that Japan pay is quite low, and regular part-time jobs pay even worse. Plus there is a 28 work hours per week limit for student visa holders, making my situation even worse. I don't have parents that I can rely on, so... I am keeping my options open regarding earning income. Plus I wanted to learn more about the pros and cons of me pursuing this route. And learn what actually occurs during encounters, etc.
So before you get any ideas, know that you're playing with a LOT of fire if you attempt to pursue fuzoku work on a student visa. It's explicitly prohibited, and if you get caught, you can lose your visa and be forced to leave.

Reactions: GraphicMig
So before you get any ideas, know that you're playing with a LOT of fire if you attempt to pursue fuzoku work on a student visa. It's explicitly prohibited, and if you get caught, you can lose your visa and be forced to leave.
Yes, I am aware.

I would probably recommend you look into as cheap of a share house as you can find and hunt for a part time job first before going this deep. You can get a decent share house for around 40-50k a month, and if you find a restaurant/konbini job, you can make about 120k a month if you hit your hourly limit every week.

Last edited:
Since we're talking conservative options, something with more potential upside than combinis and restaurants (where there is no tipping, thank god) could be freelancing as an English teacher. Sites like senseinavi let you post a detailed profile and set your own terms, so you could prolly leverage your cuteness for an above average rate.:giggle:

If you're thinking about going indie provider I'd advertise here and here only, for registered users, so you minimize the chances of shit going wrong.

Then again, I already think this is a great ad for one. 18, 148cm college girl with dreams of being an idol trying to pay rent? I wish I could see your PM box right now. Good luck with your life in Japan if anything you said is half-true 😅

I would probably recommend you look into as cheap of a share house as you can find and hunt for a part time job first before going this deep. You can get a decent share house for around 40-50k a month, and if you find a restaurant/konbini job, you can make about 120k a month if you hit your hourly limit every week.
Definitely great advice. It's good to know we all aren't just perverts all the time. Can't help but agree.
If you're thinking about going indie provider I'd advertise here and here only, for registered users, so you minimize the chances of shit going wrong.

Then again, I already think this is a great ad for one. 18, 148cm college girl with dreams of being an idol trying to pay rent? I wish I could see your PM box right now. Good luck with your life in Japan if anything you said is half-true 😅
Ngl. A part of me also agrees. Don't know how big a part of me though. 🤣

Definitely a lot more money in Fuzoku as compared to working in a konbini. Someone told me she would make the same amount in 1 day of sex work compared to 1 month of working in a konbini. Definitely riskier though, legally as well. Unless it's really something you like to do and intend to capitalize on it financially?

Last edited:
Thanks!

Wish you the best on the bumpy road ahead, and hopefully you can stay here for 5 years at least so you can qualify for PR or even naturalization since you're half-Japanese already

Tell me you like dick pics without telling me you like dick pics. :ROFLMAO:
Only if it’s in a Polaroid from Libe. :ROFLMAO:

Why? New members can’t use it.

And, people can’t work on this site without payment and verification.
I forgot about the PM box limitation but I wasn’t being literal, it was just another way of saying people are probably queuing up for an appointment already, LOL

Shizuka, I think you will find that advertising here is a great first step if you really want to follow through with this. Good luck!

Last edited:
I did see online that net cafes and manga cafes are cheap and popular places to stay, and they usually provide things like free shower facilities, free drinks and sometimes food, etc. I kind of like that option, since said cafes are staffed 24/7, so I feel like they might be safer too.

Shouldn't the university have an attractive option for housing? Campus life is a huge and fun part of the whole college experience.

Since we're talking conservative options, something with more potential upside than combinis and restaurants (where there is no tipping, thank god) could be freelancing as an English teacher. Sites like senseinavi let you post a detailed profile and set your own terms, so you could prolly leverage your cuteness for an above average rate.:giggle:
I appreciate the English teacher suggestion.

I will say that I am not really a good student. PE is my best subject.

My English grammar skills are not great. I am also a very slow reader... I can only read as fast as I can talk. I cannot skim or sight-read, because I HAVE TO say every work I am reading. Even when I am not talking out loud, I am saying every word in my mind at my normal talking speed. Any attempt to skim faster than my normal talking speed results in me tripping up, whether I am reading out loud or in my head. I don't know if I have dyslexia or some other learning disability or what not, but my high school teachers know this and a few of them give me extra time in order to complete exams. My slow reading problem is not restricted to just English.... it makes Korean and Japanese more difficult for me too.

Anyways, I am not really confident that I could ever teach English.

I did see online that net cafes and manga cafes are cheap and popular places to stay, and they usually provide things like free shower facilities, free drinks and sometimes food, etc. I kind of like that option, since said cafes are staffed 24/7, so I feel like they might be safer too.
I stayed in a net cafe during my two weeks stay in Japan. Availability of drinks/food, types of rooms (aka ones with a door and lock), and pricing are entirely dependent on the store and can also vary wildly even in the same chain. At least of Kaitatsu Club (快活クラブ), anywhere from 5680~7020 yen for the 24 hour pack. You need to remember to pay for an extension (継続) ~24 hours from your last visit or they'll put away your stuff, which happened to me the first time around. Not the best sleep on the mat and neighbors can be annoying with alarms/coughing

Reactions: sakura12 and Alice
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Then again, I already think this is a great ad for one. 18, 148cm college girl with dreams of being an idol trying to pay rent?
How is that a great ad? I am always getting teased and bullied for being too short. I also get picked on for being flat-chested. (I am an American AA-cup). I hate my body for being like this and being made fun of. I am really hoping that in Japan things will be different, since people tend to be shorter than in the U.S.... I think?

I wish I could see your PM box right now. Good luck with your life in Japan if anything you said is half-true 😅
What's a PM box? I am not seeing anything.

I am saying every word in my mind at my normal talking speed
I thought this was normal! Your school may be putting its students under undue pressure as part of the world's extremely unhealthy obsession with productivity. Don't let that bullshit get to you. Judging from your writing, you are a fine communicator. Better than most for your age. Gradually becoming bi- or tri-lingual is a great goal to have.

As regards teaching English, the vast majority of the one-on-one work here is simply about having a native-speaking conversation partner. And that makes sense because most of the progress in learning comes simply from practice in actual conversations, not analyzing grammar. That part is best done by the student alone. What you'd advertise is English conversation. Cute profile pictures will attract all kinds of perfectly harmless guys who are happy to pay premiums for English practice at local cafes.

Definitely a lot more money in Fuzoku as compared to working in a konbini. Someone told me she would make the same amount in 1 day of sex work compared to 1 month of working in a konbini. Definitely riskier though, legally as well. Unless it's really something you like to do and intend to capitalize on it financially?
1 month of working in a konbini = 1 day of sex work?! Jeez, when you put it like that, fuzoku seems much more tempting now.

Reactions: grunt and Alice
Status
Not open for further replies.