Japanese Women Turned Her Back To Me While I Walked Passed Her?

You just need to realize people get discriminated against regularly since they were born. Shouting Fuck You Bitch might not be the best way to handle things in a foreign country.
Better to ignore those on the streets than people here. It's not really too manly either giving examples of yelling at women being a man. They can't hurt you physically but might feel you can.

Omg...I mean she did a 180 as I passed her and then continued to turn fully around after I passed by...that is a 360 guys.

You just need to realize people get discriminated against regularly since they were born. Shouting Fuck You Bitch might not be the best way to handle things in a foreign country.
Better to ignore those on the streets than people here. It's not really too manly either giving examples of yelling at women being a man. They can't hurt you physically but might feel you can.

I verbally attack rude men as well.

Then you have a problem and it will probably get you into trouble one day. Like some foreigners here you can get away with 'stuff' because Japanese people are not confrontational and will avoid signs of instability wherever possible. Already to complete strangers on these boards you have described actions that are not normal. You probably need to get counselling or to get out. At least reflect on how you would appear from the POV of others.

TokyoJoeblow, not sure what gives you this sense of entitlement, but nobody gives a shit about it. Oh no, someone turned their back on me. Like others have said, cry me a river. Grow a set, because clearly you need them. BE A MAN.

You don't deserve any respect by default, you must earn it. Your mentality will get you in trouble soon, I guarantee it.

Reactions: JaquesAfrog
Not saying you aren't right, but...

@TokyoJoeblow : maybe a glance/stare makes you an "attention whore" to some japanese people.
Because some boys/girls try their best not look at each other, your behaviour can be felt like "this jerk is breaking the social harmony", more like "oh this man is free of our stupid rules" .

Same goes for smiling at strangers. Make you feel sympathetic in some countries, and look like an idiot in others.

Reactions: John Chavers
It was timed so that when I was in line with her, her back was directly facing me and as soon as I passed, she was turning back around to face the street again? I understand that maybe she is just super shy or uncomfortable around foreigners, but isn't this a little ridiculous? You would think that since the Japanese claim to have such a polite culture, that they would be aware that this is rude behavior. I felt insulted when she did this and I called her a b**** really loud and she turned around and I flipped her off. Maybe this confused her, but I don't care. Maybe just maybe she will realize that her behavior is rude and shouldn't be repeated. Anyone else on here experience this bs here in Japan?

When Japanese turn their back on you, it can very much be an insult. Many foreigners don't know the history behind this form of Japanese insult. When the Japanese were defeated in WWII, as the American and other foreign forces landed in Japan, Japanese Army officers lined the roads all with their BACK turned. It was an act of defiance and meant as an insult, as some Japanese Army officers wanted to continue the war and their attacks of countries in Asia (like China, Korea, etc...). There are some WWII documentaries that show this Japanese behavior.

Some younger Japanese are taught by older people, with the continual backwards thinking, to insult foreigners in this way. It's a sneaky type of Japanese style passive-aggressive action, in which foreigners may not realize what is going on. In some other topic, I may make a list of Japanese passive-aggressive (also known as micro-aggressive) behavior. In this way it can help foreigners new to Japan to realize when the Japanese person they are interacting with is possibly racist or insulting them.

Passive-aggressive/micro-aggressive behavior can also be to provoke or instigate, then claim or pretend to be the victim. An easy one to understand is spitting in somebody's face. People around you may not have seen the instigator spit in the other's face, just the other person getting angry or striking. So witnesses may get who started the fight totally wrong. In Japanese culture, passive-aggressive behavior can be used to provoke a reaction, so that the instigator can point the finger at you as a trouble-maker, dangerous, out of control, etc... They will pretend or play the victim, even though they may have caused or contributed to the situation. Some Japanese think it's funny, and are doing it as a mentally sick type joke. The game will be for the Japanese person to act like they don't know what is happening or are so "afraid" (usually very fake acting) of foreign people. It can be for many purposes, like a form of bullying (tormenting those outside the group), etc... In work or office environments, foreigners should especially be very wary of these type of weird games.

The Japanese style is different from what many Westerners know of. It's usually NOT direct, but more indirect, sly, sneaky, or mentally twisted. However, even without knowing exactly what they are doing, some foreigners can naturally sense there is something odd about how a particular Japanese person is acting (they do NOT all do it), where other foreigners are clueless as to what's going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
When Japanese turn their back on you, it can very much be an insult. Many foreigners don't know the history behind this form of Japanese insult. When the Japanese were defeated in WWII, as the American and other foreign forces landed in Japan, Japanese Army officers lined the roads all with their BACK turned. It was an act of defiance and meant as an insult, as some Japanese Army officers wanted to continue the war and their attacks of countries in Asia (like China, Korea, etc...). There are some WWII documentaries that show this Japanese behavior.

Some younger Japanese are taught by older people, with the continual backwards thinking, to insult foreigners in this way. It's a sneaky type of Japanese style passive-aggressive action, in which foreigners may not realize what is going on. In some other topic, I may make a list of Japanese passive-aggressive (also known as micro-aggressive) behavior. In this way it can help foreigners new to Japan to realize when the Japanese person they are interacting with is possibly racist or insulting them.

Passive-aggressive/micro-aggressive behavior can also be to provoke or instigate, then claim or pretend to be the victim. An easy one to understand is spitting in somebody's face. People around you may not have seen the instigator spit in the other's face, just the other person getting angry or striking. So witnesses may get who started the fight totally wrong. In Japanese culture, passive-aggressive behavior can be used to provoke a reaction, so that the instigator can point the finger at you as a trouble-maker, dangerous, out of control, etc... They will pretend or play the victim, even though they may have caused or contributed to the situation. Some Japanese think it's funny, and are doing it as a mentally sick type joke. The game will be for the Japanese person to act like they don't what is happening or are so "afraid" of foreign people. It can be for many purposes, like a form of bullying (tormenting those outside the group), etc... In work or office environments, foreigners should especially be very wary of these type of weird games.

The Japanese style is different from what many Westerners know of. It's usually NOT direct, but more indirect, sly, sneaky, or mentally twisted. However, even without knowing exactly what they are doing, some foreigners can naturally sense there is something odd about how a particular Japanese person is acting (they do NOT all do it), where other foreigners are clueless as to what's going on.

I guess you and I are the only ones that know about this lol.

Then you have a problem and it will probably get you into trouble one day. Like some foreigners here you can get away with 'stuff' because Japanese people are not confrontational and will avoid signs of instability wherever possible. Already to complete strangers on these boards you have described actions that are not normal. You probably need to get counselling or to get out. At least reflect on how you would appear from the POV of others.

Maybe I will try counseling out in Japan...should be interesting. I have a feeling I will be talking with my "counselor" about my problems and say something like: "Yes, so I used to have a drug problem like ten years ago...but now I'm not using. I have other issues though." Then this "counselor" freaks out at the word drugs and calls the police on me immediately hahaha. I'm sure that is how it would be here in Japan as you are a criminal for blowing your nose too loud in public or eating without covering your mouth, and other little things.

Let's take the personal attacks to private messages or elsewhere as long as it's not in the fora, thanks.

.....In Japanese culture, passive-aggressive behavior can be used to provoke a reaction, so that the instigator can point the finger at you as a trouble-maker, dangerous, out of control, etc... However, even without knowing exactly what they are doing, some foreigners can naturally sense there is something odd about how a particular Japanese person is acting (they do NOT all do it), where other foreigners are clueless as to what's going on.

I wonder now if this could be why my boss always harassed me at work until firing me. Retrospectively, the copy machine puts you in a position where your back must always face him. I was using the copy machine more than others at the time and the attacks against me while using it grew and grew over weeks. Although, I'm the nicest guy to almost anyone and have a very high tolerance for bullshit compared other foreigners I've seen in Asia, I also believe that could have been part of my mistake as well.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Well, I think you reading other people's actions perhaps wrongly or ethnocentrically and from my long experience in Japan and in the field, you maybe suffering culture shock. Totally out there but I'd put your stay time in Japan at 1-3 years, maybe in the middle. But maybe I am the one misreading. I have no more comment on this except, don't judge too quickly in a context you are not used to.

I agree with you that it's important to not overreact or to reflect upon your own actions too. Take a moment to consider the situation, and your part in it. Are you drunk or have been drinking? How will your reaction be viewed by the public? What is the best way to handle the situation? Is it worth getting into an argument? Think, before you leap. Choose your battles wisely.

However, with that typed, insults and racism do exist. It's equally foolish to pretend they don't and it can be bad to do nothing, because bullies and racists (evil in general), can be encouraged when nobody does anything to stop it or confront it.

I wonder now if this could be why my boss always harassed me at work until firing me. Retrospectively, the copy machine puts you in a position where your back must always face him. I was using the copy machine more than others at the time and the attacks against me while using it grew and grew over weeks. Although, I'm the nicest guy to almost anyone and have a very high tolerance for bullshit compared other foreigners I've seen in Asia, I also believe that could have been part of my mistake as well.

Yes, it could be. I've seen Japanese do this to various foreigners repeatedly. In Japanese culture, it's a well known tactic and trick.

Some counter-measures are:

1) Skillfully and intelligently call out the behavior.

You don't have to label it as racist, but question why the Japanese person is doing this particular behavior. Look them in the EYES, while you are talking about it. Often, that particular Japanese person will understand that you KNOW what they are doing and will CONFRONT them each time they will try it again.

Often the Japanese person will slyly try to deny what they are obviously doing. However, the key is they understand they will get called on it, so some will give up trying it.

2) See if you can get other Japanese on your side.

Not all Japanese agree with bullying, racism, etc... Some are international minded, moral, or very fair. You might be surprised, but when you call out bad behavior or treatment, there can be Japanese that will understand it as being such and they don't like it either. They will talk to the other Japanese person and tell them or suggest they stop it.

3) Always Have Your Resume Ready & Be Looking For Other Jobs

As a foreigner (even for Japanese now too), don't trust that a company won't try to cut your position after a few years, hire a person to replace you, or promote a subordinate over you. Many foreigners in Japan have been blind-sided by this.

This is a game played by many companies now, not just in Japan, where they are constantly growing and cutting. You never know when a company is secretly on the "down cycle" and cutting personnel, and will look for any excuse.

Private/secret meeting of upper management: "Tanaka-san, we need to cut 5 people this year to save costs. Do you have anybody in mind?" Tanaka-san looks over at that foreign guy's desk. "Hmmmm, I think I might know a few people."

Last edited:
Passive-aggressive/micro-aggressive behavior can also be to provoke or instigate, then claim or pretend to be the victim. An easy one to understand is spitting in somebody's face.

It takes two to tango. Just walk away: people who pa/ma, regardless of their nationality, have mental issues that aren't my problem. Whatever their twisted reasons, just remember:

The Japanese style is different from what many Westerners know of. It's usually NOT direct, but more indirect, sly, sneaky, or mentally twisted.
I don't always agree with what you say on a given topic, Solong, but it is always stimulating. You have obviously been here a while and are observant. One golden rule for becoming inter-culturally sensitive (and that does not only mean sensitive to a 'foreign' culture) is to strive to be ethno-relative, which basically means not judging another culture (unless it is very clearly a human rights issue) by your own culture's standards. The last five words of the quote don't look so sensitive for a thinking man like yourself. On the flipside could we say that American style in not indirect, but more direct, argumentative, abrasive, or physically intimidating?

Omg...I mean she did a 180 as I passed her and then continued to turn fully around after I passed by...that is a 360 guys.

... but that is only a 78.63 from the Russian judge.

I don't always agree with what you say on a given topic, Solong, but it is always stimulating. You have obviously been here a while and are observant. One golden rule for becoming inter-culturally sensitive (and that does not only mean sensitive to a 'foreign' culture) is to strive to be ethno-relative, which basically means not judging another culture (unless it is very clearly a human rights issue) by your own culture's standards. The last five words of the quote don't look so sensitive for a thinking man like yourself. On the flipside could we say that American style in not indirect, but more direct, argumentative, abrasive, or physically intimidating?

Actually, I won't disagree about this assessment on how Americans can interact with others. I do think Americans can get carried away at times, plus everybody is entitled to their opinion. An outside or different perspective can be refreshing or reality check. It's good to take a look in the mirror. But not just Americans, everybody else too.

Something to be aware of, is that some foreigners become way too defensive, when anything about Japan is criticized. Sometimes known as a Japan apologist. In my opinion, there is a balance. There is good, bad, and differences in every culture. To point out something which is or you perceive as negative, is not necessarily something bad, but can be more about being realistic or seeking truth.

Last edited:
Mr. John Chavers. You are simply throwing up an objection, but not backing it up with any substance or elaborating on why you object. And, by doing that, coming off as simply being on the attack. As it has been mentioned to you before, sometimes it's better to explain yourself, as opposed to just trying to be funny. Don't get me wrong, sometimes you hit the mark and are quite funny, but just saying... We can't hit home-runs all the time.

Reactions: Manny and DJV
Perhaps her breath was so bad she turned away so you would not feel the experience of being downwind from a dumpster. Some chiks are self conscious like that.

Solong, my point in comparison was mainly about the sometimes 'charged' words we sometimes use to describe other cultures and behaviours. If we objectively pick apart a description like 'sneaky', which in English has negative connotations, we might use descriptions such as 'understated', 'ambiguous', and certain descriptions of non-verbal behaviour (re paralanguage, oculesics, kinesics, proxemics etc.) which are more fitting.
An apologist is just as bad as the 'my way or the highway-ist' and we will all slide somewhere along the continuum between those extremes. Hopefully.