Just a rant... (tech rant)

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
Had a nice day planned out today... didn't have much work to do, so I planned for a light day and to head back home after lunch. Well, the plan was to go home and still do a bit of work, plus more punch list items for TAG... but that never got to happen.

My main workstation at home, which is quite beefy, decided it didn't want to work today. It just took a dump on itself as I was working. Very obvious power supply failure...

So, off to Akiba for a nearly two hour round trip to get a new PSU, come home and finish tearing out the old one and putting the new one in. (of course, none of the modular cables would fit the new PSU...) Bleh...

That all said, the PSU that died was Corsair AX1200 and it had been running nearly 24/7 for 6 years. Money well spent, I think... new one is a AX1200i.

In the end, glad it was just a PSU issue. :p But man, time seriously wasted today.

So, off to Akiba for a nearly two hour round trip to get a new PSU

For a fleeting moment I thought you have started to use the same acronym as @RIDER 00 and already pictured a scene where your computer dies and you run out to get some PSY screaming "fuck this board". :p

For a fleeting moment I thought you have started to use the same acronym as @RIDER 00 and already pictured a scene where your computer dies and you run out to get some PSY screaming "fuck this board". :p
lol...

Some days I just want to rm -rf everything. :cautious:

That all said, the PSU that died
Were you running this with a three prong plug through a UPS? Japan's crazy lack of grounded power outlets is a constant puzzle to me.

Reactions: MikeH
Were you running this with a three prong plug through a UPS? Japan's crazy lack of grounded power outlets is a constant puzzle to me.
I live in a fairly modern place, but it's still the usual two-prong outlets but there is support for earth ground which is wired to some of the appliances.
This PSU, had a fairly extreme amount of usage, so I'm not terribly surprised that it died... but there didn't seem to be any warning.

OTOH, I did have a 2U server have its motherboard toasted due to a bad ground.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland