Guest viewing is limited

Learning Japanese

As honra123 said, for improving writing and reading, practicing Kanji by writing them down by hand has been really helpful.

The Kanji Kentei practice books are great, if a bit obscure at times. They can be bought cheaply at Bookoff. Once you take off, start with magazines and mangas, and eventually move to books.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Thanks for the comment.

I went to a local Japanese school entire time, never lived outside of Japan so yeah my English is the result of 6 year of practice at Japanese school...
I was raised in a countryside, didn't see any foreigners around until I moved to Tokyo, always thought when I could use it even if I learnt. Just didn't realize how useful English language could be.

I can't imagine you needing more lessons! Your English was excellent the last time we met up!

I know OP was asking about free resources, but I'm just gonna throw in another suggestion that's working decently for me so far:

I've been self studing vocabulary on www.wanikani.com and they use a repeating system that's designed to "burn" words in your head, and I find that it works well so far. It's a bit on the pricey side ($100/year, or $300 for a lifetime membership) but I find that it helps immensely. Doesn't do shit for grammar though.

I've bought the Genki textbook and workbook so planning to start on that soon to hopefully help with my grammar

Huge recommendation for these books, I've only tried the first yellow one but I love it, really nice structure by bunching up stuff connected to a specific topic. like occupation, weather, body parts etc.
http://jtalkonline.com/review-nihongo-tango-speed-master/
It has answers written in red text with a red clear plastic file thing that you can put over the page and it will hide the answers, plus it comes with 2 CDs.

I'm trying out wanikani at the moment, I really don't like them using English words for the particles, but I think they will change after a while to Japanese?
@CarpeDiem: If you are only using them for the spaced repetition, there are free programs like anki which can do that for you if you can find a appropriate file containing the stuff you want to practice.

Reactions: Yuma
I'm trying out wanikani at the moment, I really don't like them using English words for the particles, but I think they will change after a while to Japanese?
For the particles, you mean, for the radicals (the blue colored itens)? If that's the case, rest assured they are just tools, building blocks to create the mnemonics you will use for memorizing the real deal: kanji (red colored itens) and later vocabulary (purple colored itens). The radicals don't really exist in the Japanese language as a separate, autonomous entity.

I try to mix it up with MAJIDE?!?! for some variety :LOL:

No need for variety; I once had an almost full conversation using just "hai" with different intonations but then I blew it by using "doumo" to end.

Reactions: Frenchy
Anyone know an app where you can translate words on a webpage on demand? Pasting into google or something is annoying. I used to have something where you just hover over a word, but I can't find it

Anyone know an app where you can translate words on a webpage on demand? Pasting into google or something is annoying. I used to have something where you just hover over a word, but I can't find it

If you have an iPhone, I can recommend imiwa? Very useful and you can even paste whole texts in there and it splits up the sentence for you.

Reactions: zecarioca
I've done 3 trips over the last year.
I try to squeeze in as many as I can, but it was rather taxing last time, 9 soaps in 16 days, with 7 of them being in the last 7 days, including 2 in one day, which was a bit rough lol.

Wow, 2 in one day. Next time let go together.

To study japanese i think you should have a good book, and make a schedule learning japanese everyday. I started studied japanese with Minna no Nihongo books, I think it very basical.

Reactions: MossBoss
I'm getting trolled by Imiwa? I looked up the word "like" as you can see from the top..

IMG_2568.PNG

It's a little bit of a... well, マニア sort of learning method, favored by "polyglot" types, but Glossika is a pretty great line of products for learning how to speak a language. The gist is that you have 3000 sentences per package, the written component for each of them having the source language (most likely English but others exist), the target language interpretation (Japanese for most of us), the IPA key (only useful to weirdos like me!), and a phonetic guide. The real meat-and-potatoes is, of course, the audio, which is broken into the GMS and GSR files, the former in linear order, the latter in a sort of Anki-like sequence. How you go about using them used to be largely an "up to you" sort of affair, but they've recently decided to be a lot more helpful and give a schedule as an idea.

Why do I consider it a good resource, then? Mostly because, again, the focus is speaking above all else; everything's about learning how to recognise sentence patterns while you're given comprehensive input. My biggest problem for the longest time was that, even though I had good theoretical knowledge of how a sentence is put together in Japanese, I could barely string together words. Knowing vocabulary and grammar really isn't the same as knowing the most* natural way of expressing a thought in your target language, and that's what Glossika focuses on. More than that, the sort of rote memorization and committing to muscle memory that the whole thing is based on is nice for building a "toolkit" in the target language. Once you know the (full sentence) patterns and have a reasonable vocabulary, there's no reason you can't swap words out and get a decently good and comprehensible result in-context.

Now, I will recommend it with a couple of caveats. The first is that it's not meant for people learning a language from scratch, nor is it meant to be used as a catch-all. You're still gonna need at least some good grammar references and vocabulary building material, in other words. The second is that it's not perfect in terms of the translations/interpretations in the case of the Japanese modules. The speaker-slash-translator makes some rather odd choices and/or slip-ups on some sentences, and what's written in the book may not match what's spoken. It's kind of distracting, but it's overall not that bad.

If this looks like the ramblings of a True Believer, well, that's because it is. I have no affiliation with Glossika (other than dropping a couple hundred bucks on modules!), but I sure as hell love their products for what they offer strange people who learn languages for fun, and I think more people should know about them.

(*) It's up to the whims of the translator, of course. Some sentences may some across a lot more stilted or informal in tone, or sometimes the wording might not quite "match" the source sentence. It could have something to do with context, or it could just be capriciousness. Either way, it's best to consider what's presented as the best-effort approximation to a natural translation of the English source.

Another Japanese language learning resource to check out is the podcast series by JapanesePod101.com . I've met Peter and his team in person a few times and they're really enthusiastic about helping students learn Japanese.

Started to pick up my learning again the last few weeks since my trip. It's difficult that's forsure, but I'm starting to pick up words and I'm able to identify a lot of hiragana. Just need to keep practicing practicing and practicing :bookworm:

Reactions: AliceInWonderland