Learning To Read Japanese

GoldenDalton

TAG Member
Reaction score
Anyone attempted serious study of reading? I'm considering making it a " life" goal of mine. I want to be able to read historical texts, which would take even longer as older forms are in use. But still, it'd be neat to even read a newspaper article or website.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anyone who has. It seems both highly appealing and highly daunting to me.

Emailing in Japanese helped out when I was younger. Normal conversation & business emails are fine with me. I don't try to read books often but just not interested.

Reactions: GoldenDalton
Yes, I taught myself to read Japanese. I read mostly history & science. I think the hardest part is getting over the mental hurdle of thinking there's no way you'll ever be able to read this stuff. It's very doable.

If it's doable I'll give it a serious go. I enjoy learning languages, but have never tackled reading a non Latin alphabet language before.

If you like this site look for the places you visit on the Japanese BBS I've learned lots of new terms recently that way. Plus the dudes on there are crazy.

Try learning 5 kanji every day from the book of 2000. Make it a religion. Historical n scientific texts r the hardest bcoz of names of things and people using difficult kanji. Good luck.

This is one of a few things I regret not attempting. I speak 3 other languages and so my excuse is my brain is full!

Anyway I heard that if you don't learn a new language within the first year of moving to a new country, its never gonna happen.

Try learning 5 kanji every day from the book of 2000. Make it a religion. Historical n scientific texts r the hardest bcoz of names of things and people using difficult kanji. Good luck.
I should clarify. I don't read scientific texts. I read Newton magazine,which is a science magazine. It really isn't that tough. When you study Kanji, don't just study individual kanji. Learn words composed of those Kanji. Two good texts I can recommend are The 500 basic Kanji (2 volumes) and Kanji in Context.

Also, if you're going to use those words in a conversation, make sure you get the pronunciation right.

If you are visibly foreign purposely mispronouncing (using the kun-yomi instead of the on-yomi) the words can be a great ice breaker when chatting up a girl for the first time. :ROFLMAO:

The problem with magazines like Newsweek and Newton is that they are translated into Japanese from English and depending on the article the Japanese can be a bit odd. So I been told by a J journalist

The problem with magazines like Newsweek and Newton is that they are translated into Japanese from English and depending on the article the Japanese can be a bit odd. So I been told by a J journalist
That is true!

I agree where Newsweek is concerned. I've been told the same by a number of native Jps speakers. But I don't think Newton is too bad. A lot of the articles seem to be Japan-oriented, so I have the impression that they're written by locals and not translations. In any case I enjoy it and have learned a lot from it.

I agree with AKB and cabbie's comments, although 5 kanji a day might be too much, depending of course on your effort and natural ability. 10 kanji a week is 500 in a year is very doable, that will give you surprisingly good literacy. Newspaper articles are not particularly difficult except for proper nouns, eg people and place names.

One thing I will add, do not be tempted with the Heisig technique. It has many faults but the main one is you'll for ever be thinking in English.

What about learning to read without learning to speak? Apparently this is possible for mandarin and a few other languages. I'm assuming this wouldn't work in Japanese. My ultimate goal is reading more than speaking but I want to do both. Just wondering about that.

I wi
One thing I will add, do not be tempted with the Heisig technique. It has many faults but the main one is you'll for ever be thinking in English.
l will keep that in mind. I've already encountered that name several times, and I haven't even started yet.

I'd recommend using one of the SRS tools, such as "Anki" and download decks that are appealing to you. You can go with dedicated Kanji decks, but also throw in some vocab / grammar decks and work through the JLPT lists. They work by quizzing you and understanding which words you don't know, and then repeating these regularly, and giving lower priority to words you do know. Typically it is set to 20 words a day (per deck), and if you have a tablet you can just do it when travelling, or having a coffee etc.

As for reading before speaking, I find reading far far easier than speaking, and once you start picking up Kanji things sometimes become easy to understand just by looking at the different Kanji in the sentence.
Speaking requires a knowledge of sentence structure and doing this in your head while thinking of the right words to express your meaning. Reading initially just requires a knowledge to translate words and you can rearrange them in your head without thinking about it.
For example, if you read, "John", "slow" and "to run" in a sentence, easy to translate to "John runs slow", whereas speaking you'd need to know the particles, where each word should be placed in the structure, conjugations (verb and adjective) etc. I guess it depends if you are wanting to read aloud though, as knowing the meaning, and the pronunciation are two different things.

I tried Heisig, couldn't get on with it at all, too American for my tastes (a few baseball references), plus, it teaches you them in a really weird order. I would start with the jyouyou Kanji, or JLPT Kanji, and then master each set along with a couple of compound words using that Kanji.

If you have a tablet, something along the lines of "Obenkyo" (which uses JLPT levels) or "Kyouiku Kanji" (which is based on school years) are good tools to sit and practice with when you are bored.

I'd recommend using one of the SRS tools, such as "Anki" and download decks that are appealing to you. You can go with dedicated Kanji decks, but also throw in some vocab / grammar decks and work through the JLPT lists. They work by quizzing you and understanding which words you don't know, and then repeating these regularly, and giving lower priority to words you do know. Typically it is set to 20 words a day (per deck), and if you have a tablet you can just do it when travelling, or having a coffee etc.

As for reading before speaking, I find reading far far easier than speaking, and once you start picking up Kanji things sometimes become easy to understand just by looking at the different Kanji in the sentence.
Speaking requires a knowledge of sentence structure and doing this in your head while thinking of the right words to express your meaning. Reading initially just requires a knowledge to translate words and you can rearrange them in your head without thinking about it.
For example, if you read, "John", "slow" and "to run" in a sentence, easy to translate to "John runs slow", whereas speaking you'd need to know the particles, where each word should be placed in the structure, conjugations (verb and adjective) etc. I guess it depends if you are wanting to read aloud though, as knowing the meaning, and the pronunciation are two different things.

I tried Heisig, couldn't get on with it at all, too American for my tastes (a few baseball references), plus, it teaches you them in a really weird order. I would start with the jyouyou Kanji, or JLPT Kanji, and then master each set along with a couple of compound words using that Kanji.

If you have a tablet, something along the lines of "Obenkyo" (which uses JLPT levels) or "Kyouiku Kanji" (which is based on school years) are good tools to sit and practice with when you are bored.
Thanks for the help. Ill update in a couple of months.

If you are truly committed to learning to read, then you really need to learn stroke count and stroke order for kanji as well. If you don't, you'll not be able to use a proper dictionary or really understand how the characters work.

Get some graph paper and write several pages of kanji at least twice a day. You MUST write with the correct order and count though or its a complete waste of time.

Japanese is a simple language - brute force memorization mostly.....

There are 3 great programs on Android you might want to look at:

1. Asahi Kanji
2. Yomikata- teaches reading Japanese based on JLPT level.
4. Aedict- Japanese dictionary that has example sentences. You can save example sentences in a notepad function (that's also exportable).

Another option a lot of people are unaware of is Kumon. Yes, the same Kumon that teaches children math.
They have a Japanese writing program that's actually quite effective, and adults are welcome.

Try this site, good reading practice and you can listen too

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

Or joint www.lang-8.com

Just had a butchers at the NHK site and it's very good. Intermedi8 level or thereabouts so u probably need about 500 kanji b4 u start it in earnest. The grammar is simplified. What I like is that the info provided is real and interesting, not the contrived shite I find in some textboox

There are 3 great programs on Android you might want to look at:

1. Asahi Kanji
2. Yomikata- teaches reading Japanese based on JLPT level.
4. Aedict- Japanese dictionary that has example sentences. You can save example sentences in a notepad function (that's also exportable).

Not 2 sure about Asahi Kanji. It tells u how many strokes a kanji has but not how to count them, which is essential when using a dictionary as some 1 here already pointed out. Also it don't give frequently used words using that kanji

I wud say 4 get this online stuff and do it the old fashioned wAy using a book