Guest viewing is limited

Life In Japan - The High Points

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
We're starting up two threads in this general section to talk about two points:

- The high points of living in Japan
- The low points of living in Japan

Please share with us both your good and bad experiences while living in Japan.

These threads are not limited to just those people calling Japan home but also those of you that visit Japan for tourism or business related reasons.

This thread is collecting the 'high points' or life's little greats about living in or visiting Japan!

Reactions: Simonka
I suppose it's also a good idea to specify which part of Japan you're living in.

For myself, I live and work in the Tokyo 23 wards and I have been doing so for in excess of 8 years. (I won't specify a exact time frame due to privacy reasons) I also won't get into my career but it's related to a field that deals with brokerage. :)

Personally, there are a lot of high points and I'm sure that some of you may share some of the same. Feel free to duplicate!

Without question, the transportation system is near the top of the list as far as a high point goes. It's not necessarily cheap but it's certainly safe and clean.
I do have a car, but I appreciate the trains for daily commutes even if it feels like a sardine can or smells like a perfume factory in the morning and some old man's shoe on the way home. Haha.

That's what I'll start off with and add more later. :)

Reactions: Simonka
Transportation + a billion different bars and restaurants. Can't do that in a car culture like America without a DD or shelling out for Uber.

Safety. I came back to my parents The other day and two cars were burning in our parking

Last edited:
Food. Highest concentration of Michelin star restaurants in the world.

And that's just the places the regular public knows about! There are literally thousands of bars and restaurants that are members only/by invitation only.

In addition, if you ever get the urge to eat the best (insert ingredient here) on Earth, it's probably for sale somewhere in Tokyo.

Admittedly, you need money to play, but if you are loaded, man this is a fun town.

Obviously too much to list, but a few that spring to mind:

High points:
- Food is excellent, Japanese food down where I live is pretty mediocre and sparse.
- Merchandise... I spend so much on it.
- The courtesy of strangers, and the way they all automatically line up neatly.

Low Points:
- While food is great, there are some foods that just aren't the same as western counterparts. (Where's my meat pies!?)
- Merchandise... I spend so much on it.
- While in general it's ok, sometimes you realise that Japanese can be extremely xenophobic =/

EDIT: Oh, just noticed that there was a thread for low points lol.

Last edited:
I mean, I can do without pies when in Japan, as I'm not exactly living there for long periods.
.jp

You might like the Japanese paizuri I would imagine...

g2670_2670_pc_01.jpg

1. This is going to relate to the racism thread I created but I like the fact that I blend in with everyone else in Japan.
  2. I enjoy being one of a million others. to be left alone and not recognized if you are out.
  3. Not harassed by the police for vehicle related matters (those who are into fast cars will know what I'm taking about).
  4. The peaceful and polite ways of the Japanese - not getting in your face with their views/opinions
  5. The beautiful women I see everywhere!

Last edited:
Reactions: KumaDog
Came to Japan on a 3 year transfer...have now 'localized' to the Japan office of my multi-national company and have no regrets...one of the best countries to live in as far as I am concerned...and I am originally from Down Under...

Reactions: meiji
- transportation is very reliable
- value for money is not bad when eating out
- Roast-Katsu-Burger at Mos'
- Inexpensive vending machines or convenience stores even at busy and touristy places

My thoughts:

-Transportation is great. Tokyo is also one of the great walkable cities in the world. Lots of things to do and see that are within an hour or so train, max.

- Great night life -A wide variety of restaurants, clubs, and bars to hit. It's very safe as long as you don't make any massive blunders. Many a night has been spent out past last train, and either stayed out all night or was able to walk home if the nijikai was close enough.

- Gorgeous, well-dressed women everywhere. The hobby is more or less decriminalized.

- Japanese food.

- Japan is the gateway to Asia. Singapore is a 5 hour flight, but from the US it's more like 14 hours.

- I thought I'd mention the food and the women again.

Actually, yes, the women are so beautifully dressed.
Even if some of my local women have nice features, they just don't dress nicely like they do in Japan =/

Not having to tip is a big plus for Japan after 12 years in the US, no offense intended. One time at a restaurant they chased me 100m down the street after I left without my Y3 of change.

The Tokyo metro and JR Shinkansen is unbelievably safe, efficient and clean. Of course crowds on the Yamanote Line can be interesting to say the least.

Onsens are a plus.

Great selection and quality of restaurants, and without being asked how it tastes even before taking a bite.

And as noted the women.

-No tipping
-How people are quiet in MMA/kickboxing/boxing fights like they are watching golf
-How people act the opposite at a baseball game
-The food
-The ladies
-The 1980s and 1990s music
-The trains in Tokyo
-Good people
-Crazy dialects in different regions of Japan

My high points are the public baths & onsens.:shame: As for food, fresh sushi every day and so many pastries choose from its insane. As for safety and honesty it is unmatchable.

Somehow I seem not to have aged since arriving in Japan.

I don't want to go into details for privacy reasons, but I meet an endless numbers of cool young women in their 20s, less than half my age. I'm currently dating a 22 year old. None of them seem to care at all how old I am. They aren't looking for Mr Right to get married and have kids with and they're not high maintenance either.

I realised that my post above might sound quite conceited, I didn't mean it like that.

Reactions: Qong02 and MossBoss
Chavers has written a report about her. If you ask him nicely, he might give you the skinny....

Click on nope for shop info...

MossBoss

Last edited: