Guest viewing is limited

Life In Japan - The Low Points

I did worse, just replying "thanks, you too" (to the chopsticks comment). The puzzled looks you can get in return are in fact high points of living in Japan !

I am going to try this one!

My "top this" tale (in this context) was that a Japanese colleague once mentioned my awesome hashi skills among a few of my other professional distinctions in the course of giving me a fairly formal introduction to a group whom I was about to address (give a presentation)! To be fair, he was a bit drunk at the time, but still...

-Ww

My "top this" tale (in this context) was that a Japanese colleague once mentioned my awesome hashi skills among a few of my other professional distinctions in the course of giving me a fairly formal introduction to a group whom I was about to address (give a presentation)! To be fair, he was a bit drunk at the time, but still...

-Ww

I wonder what it says about his opinion about your professional skills, if he resorts to your hashi handling skills as your biggest upside :D

.........and of course........dropping the EEEEeeeeeHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh on them just before you say those things makes it all that much better

-Ww
From what I have noticed most Japanese are impressed when foreigners are able to use hashi and properly too.

From what I have noticed most Japanese are impressed when foreigners are able to use hashi and properly too.
Common occurrence, every single time I eat with a new business contact who is Japanese and hasn't had much exposure to non-Japanese or non-asian for that matter. Then it goes on to the food... "OH, You can eat ramen? Sushi too? Oh That's amazing... blah blah blah blah..." it's not really amazing. I mean, who can't eat Ramen!? (the majority of people can anyway)

Edit: The fork comment, I have to remember to use that somewhere. Probably perfect opportunity at the year-end dinner. (Which has no hashi, it's always western food with forks/knives, etc.)

Reactions: MikeH and just4fun
"OH, You can eat ramen? Sushi too? Oh That's amazing... blah blah blah blah..." it's not really amazing. I mean, who can't eat Ramen!?

OK, time for my "top this": (ref: @Wwanderer ). Me and some local people I worked at that time were invited for a business dinner. The host knew I had been living in Japan for over 10 years already at that time.

My secretary revealed later they had contacted her beforehand and asked "if Mike can eat rice?"... o_O

Common occurrence, every single time I eat with a new business contact who is Japanese and hasn't had much exposure to non-Japanese or non-asian for that matter. Then it goes on to the food... "OH, You can eat ramen? Sushi too? Oh That's amazing... blah blah blah blah..." it's not really amazing. I mean, who can't eat Ramen!? (the majority of people can anyway)

Edit: The fork comment, I have to remember to use that somewhere. Probably perfect opportunity at the year-end dinner. (Which has no hashi, it's always western food with forks/knives, etc.)
Don't forget the big EEEHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................................

OK, time for my "top this": (ref: @Wwanderer ). Me and some local people I worked at that time were invited for a business dinner. The host knew I had been living in Japan for over 10 years already at that time.

My secretary revealed later they had contacted her beforehand and asked "if Mike can eat rice?"... o_O
Sure it was rice and not lice?

Reactions: MikeH