Guest viewing is limited

Life In Japan - The Low Points

I love going to the phone shop and looking around or if I have a problem. Seems they wanna get me out of there asap. Works for me.

Re: Strict adherence to rules and overly formal society..

It drives me absolutely bonkers as I'm one of those "Time is Money" types these days. I have so little free time and no work-oriented shame.. So, I've been horrifying wave after wave of Japanese business men by "one handing" business cards and skipping introductions. Saving 5-10 minutes every meeting for a week and you're golden!

Corporate investor relations probably really loved my pink H&M t-shirts and jeans combo too
And... Does it work? (I mean do you eventually get the business results you wanted , or just save 5-10mn and get to wear your favorite tshirt?)

Reactions: Wwanderer
Lol, well, I'm not a public figure and in a city with how many million people vs. the membership on TAG.. I'll be okay? :p

And to answer prior questions, saving the time is important over many days and weeks of meetings..

Plus I find people slowly acclimate to no nonsense over the course of a meeting. It's not like people don't naturally like being honest and upfront .. Like the old saying "truth is easy, lying is hard"

Same!
I hate it when shopstaff keeps using English to me. :(

Happened to me a long time ago but now it never happens anymore.

Because when it happens, it just means that your Japanese isn't good enough.
Either your pronounciation is odd or, or you use unnatural expressions or you body language/self assurance is weak.

Even when I'm with my grifriend in restaurants, I'm the only one who orders things and not a single time I get the "English treatment".

And it makes me insecure indeed. Is my Japanese so hard to understand?

Your insecurity plays a big role in that.

You have to put your insecurity aside and accept the fact that you'll be spoken in English as long as your Japanese isn't perfect.

When you start getting replied in Japanese you'll know that your Japanese has become natural.

So, view it as a good indicator of your level instead.

I noticed when I'm walking outside I always hear Japanese people saying all the same words: やばい! やべい!感じ悪い!きもうい! なんで! むかつく! ダサい! ダセ! and so on.

I believe that since Japan is a conformist society, that most Japanese constantly try to be like each other...even when one person talks like an idiot, his/her kohai might still feel the need to talk the same way lol.

Japanese people laugh too too much at everything. I understand that laughing a lot is good for your health and makes you look happy, I get it...but some of these people are laughing ALL THE TIME wtf?

I noticed that is it some sort of taboo to eat at restaurants alone (other than places like Yoshinoya and Sukiya). The other people seem to assume that you either ひきこもり and/or you are lonely.

I also hate the young Japanese people that just loiter around outside the combinis. The men usually stand and smoke outside while the women chill out in their little cars...for hours. I know for a fact that some of them aren't waiting for their friend inside because many times when I go in, I'm the only one in there...unless their friend sometimes uses the toilet for like 30 minutes haha. There is no way they are friends with the dudes that work there either. So what are these young people doing just sitting in their cars outside a combini literally until early morning? Does anyone know?

I noticed when I'm walking outside I always hear Japanese people saying all the same words: やばい! やべい!感じ悪い!きもうい! なんで! むかつく! ダサい! ダセ! and so on.

I believe that since Japan is a conformist society, that most Japanese constantly try to be like each other...even when one person talks like an idiot, his/her kohai might still feel the need to talk the same way lol.

Japanese people laugh too too much at everything. I understand that laughing a lot is good for your health and makes you look happy, I get it...but some of these people are laughing ALL THE TIME wtf?

I noticed that is it some sort of taboo to eat at restaurants alone (other than places like Yoshinoya and Sukiya). The other people seem to assume that you either ひきこもり and/or you are lonely.

I also hate the young Japanese people that just loiter around outside the combinis. The men usually stand and smoke outside while the women chill out in their little cars...for hours. I know for a fact that some of them aren't waiting for their friend inside because many times when I go in, I'm the only one in there...unless their friend sometimes uses the toilet for like 30 minutes haha. There is no way they are friends with the dudes that work there either. So what are these young people doing just sitting in their cars outside a combini literally until early morning? Does anyone know?
playing pokemon go. maybe there's a Gym nearby

Reactions: patty diaz
I just read through 18 pages and I'm surprised none of the women have complained about men taking their photos or trying to take photos up their skirts or following them around recording them. Recently I've just started going off on these weasels and making them delete my picture in front of me and embarrassing them. Bastards! I used to just hurry away from them but now I'm over it and think they need a lesson before they traumatise someone. I've also had Japanese guys nanpa me while waiting to meet appointments and when I ask if it's them I'm waiting for they'll say 'yes' and walk with me until I get a phone call from my real appointment asking where I am! Not to mention chikan on trains which will earn guys who victimize me a broken wrist and a chat to police.

Also has anyone else noticed that you can't pay your phone bill by credit card online or on the phone or anything? And when your bill expires you're forced to go into an au shop or whatever and wait in line for 40 mins for something that could easily be done in 5 clicks...

Being spoken to in English by shop staff doesn't even phase me anymore. I know they just do it because they think I don't speak Japanese or want to practice their English. So I just reply to them the entire time in Japanese until they get it into their heads I'm not a free English lesson.

Another annoying thing frequently use love hotels for work around kabukicho and from time to time a clerk will rush out and say "no foreigner sorry " to which I reply "大丈夫日本語喋れますよ!" and they do the awkward あ!あっはいいいいすみません!ごゆくり!and scuttle off to their little hidden rooms again.. I don't know why anyone would need to speak Japanese to use a room?

I like how someone used the phrase "talking to a Japanese person is like trying to boil an egg, without the egg". Truth.

Anyone dealt with gaijin here yet who think they're Japanese and take part in the useless meetings and time wasting? I was an English teacher a while back and when I tried to explain to them that the kids I were teaching needed Japanese as well as English as they were 3 years old and needed to be explained to in their own language that it's okay and they don't need to be scared, these people just rattled off the old "that's how it's done here" and continued to have children wet their pants in terror and drop out. Also making kids sit in seiza the entire time was creepy.

There are many pluses to Japan. I enjoy living here more than Australia and find it easier in general, but; the lack of progress is quite baffling. I mean. This is Japan right? Who'd have thought!

So what are these young people doing just sitting in their cars outside a combini literally until early morning? Does anyone know?
Hanging. Like bored broke teenagers anywhere else.

Also has anyone else noticed that you can't pay your phone bill by credit card online or on the phone or anything? And when your bill expires you're forced to go into an au shop or whatever and wait in line for 40 mins for something that could easily be done in 5 clicks...

Why not use 振り込み? I mean, instead of having to physically go pay a bill each month. Especially for long-term residents, seems like it's a lot easier to setup that link and just let it go. There has been a ton of cell-phone fraud by everybody, which is why the rules are much stricter now.

I just read through 18 pages and I'm surprised none of the women have complained about men taking their photos or trying to take photos up their skirts or following them around recording them. Recently I've just started going off on these weasels and making them delete my picture in front of me and embarrassing them. Bastards! I used to just hurry away from them but now I'm over it and think they need a lesson before they traumatise someone. I've also had Japanese guys nanpa me while waiting to meet appointments and when I ask if it's them I'm waiting for they'll say 'yes' and walk with me until I get a phone call from my real appointment asking where I am! Not to mention chikan on trains which will earn guys who victimize me a broken wrist and a chat to police.

There was a separate thread about this about an incident with someone else...

Being spoken to in English by shop staff doesn't even phase me anymore. I know they just do it because they think I don't speak Japanese or want to practice their English. So I just reply to them the entire time in Japanese until they get it into their heads I'm not a free English lesson.

Another annoying thing frequently use love hotels for work around kabukicho and from time to time a clerk will rush out and say "no foreigner sorry " to which I reply "大丈夫日本語喋れますよ!" and they do the awkward あ!あっはいいいいすみません!ごゆくり!and scuttle off to their little hidden rooms again.. I don't know why anyone would need to speak Japanese to use a room?

I like how someone used the phrase "talking to a Japanese person is like trying to boil an egg, without the egg". Truth.

Anyone dealt with gaijin here yet who think they're Japanese and take part in the useless meetings and time wasting? I was an English teacher a while back and when I tried to explain to them that the kids I were teaching needed Japanese as well as English as they were 3 years old and needed to be explained to in their own language that it's okay and they don't need to be scared, these people just rattled off the old "that's how it's done here" and continued to have children wet their pants in terror and drop out. Also making kids sit in seiza the entire time was creepy.

There are many pluses to Japan. I enjoy living here more than Australia and find it easier in general, but; the lack of progress is quite baffling. I mean. This is Japan right? Who'd have thought!
Wow ive never had my picture taken before or been recorded. Thats so creepy good on you for telling them off

I just read through 18 pages and I'm surprised none of the women have complained about men taking their photos or trying to take photos up their skirts or following them around recording them. Recently I've just started going off on these weasels and making them delete my picture in front of me and embarrassing them. Bastards! I used to just hurry away from them but now I'm over it and think they need a lesson before they traumatise someone. I've also had Japanese guys nanpa me while waiting to meet appointments and when I ask if it's them I'm waiting for they'll say 'yes' and walk with me until I get a phone call from my real appointment asking where I am! Not to mention chikan on trains which will earn guys who victimize me a broken wrist and a chat to the police

-Snip-

I adore the good aspects of Japanese culture, cuisine, technology and art immensely.. But even as a fierce alpha male type, with a decent socially prestigious job, I would dread living there permanently and having to abide by all the strict formality, hierarchy and deference to tradition.. Let alone what some of you ladies have to deal with.. :stop:

I find in most places in North America and Europe, if you're not part of the 1% but say, the upper median, life is OK? Is it just bias and stereotype that suggests to me being part of the middle class in Japan is, well, kind of miserable?

being part of the middle class in Japan is, well, kind of miserable?

After having been in Japan for a considerable amount of time, there's a big swing within what's consider to be 'middle class' in Japan. Many families have the salary man structure: Married, with kids, husband works, wife doesn't. Wife controls household finances... let's say with an average salary of ~320k/yen/month. Factoring in support for necessities (housing, food, insurance, tuition, clothing & essential utilities) there isn't much left over for anything else.

It's miserable for as much as you let it be... the problem is that many Japanese just settle and don't pursue better opportunities. Foreigners are definitely more motivated and likely to jump at chances to move up. Personally, I think I've made sound decisions and I feel comfortable... always room for improvement though.

For myself, I'm better off in Japan that I would have been in my home country.

I would dread living there permanently and having to abide by all the strict formality,

It's easy to pick and choose which formalities you need to adhere to as long as you're a real foreigner. It's just simply expected that you don't completely understand all those details. If I'm really after something, I'll pull out the formality expert card to impress someone to help secure what I need from them. (it works)

Hmmm it's weird , I can pay my phone bills with credit card. Maybe it's just AU which doesn't accept this? Apart from that yes, I understand what you mean (and yes break the chikan's wrists ! Or better , their balls !).
(-;

Last edited:
I have plenty of stories to tell, but I am not sure if I can share them here sadly PM me if you want to know more. I will say though for every low point that I have had I have had many more HIGH points since being in Japan.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have plenty of stories to tell, but I am not sure if I can share them here sadly PM me if you want to know more. I will say though for every low point that I have had I have had many more HIGH points since being in Japan.
Yeah!same here !

Yes, I haven't been both a teenager and broke for about 10 years, so I guess this reality slipped my mind haha.

I was definitely somewhat broke when I was a young teenager myself.
And believe me... It feels SO good when you're not that broke anymore

My mother-in-law loves to tell me how good my chopstick skills are. It's bad enough when an acquaintance says it, but family?

People that pay their bills at the convenience stores in major office blocks at 8 in the morning. Everybody else is trying to grab their breakfast before heading to the office and the queues are snaking around the shop because somebody can't wait to pay their gas bill till it's a quiet time.

People smoking and sitting next to you on the train first thing in the morning. Honestly, if you stink first thing in the morning enough for me to have to cover my mouth and nose then I'd hate to work with you at 5pm. I'm sure you'd be pissed if I pushed my ass in your face and farted, so don't come stinking near me where I can't escape.

Yes, it's been one of "those" mornings.

People that pay their bills at the convenience stores in major office blocks at 8 in the morning.
Yeah, been there, done that. I was quite shocked when I was in a hurry one morning and found a line at the register 'cause someone was paying their bills.

I rarely pay anything at a konbini, usually taxes that are under 300,000 yen. Although, it's a nice option when needed.

People smoking and sitting next to you on the train first thing in the morning. Honestly, if you stink first thing in the morning enough for me to have to cover my mouth and nose then I'd hate to work with you at 5pm. I'm sure you'd be pissed if I pushed my ass in your face and farted, so don't come stinking near me where I can't escape.

Know this one too... lol.

My mother-in-law loves to tell me how good my chopstick skills are. It's bad enough when an acquaintance says it, but family?
When I get the opportunity to turn the tables "wow, you're really good at using a knife and fork" they don't seem to get it.....

When I get the opportunity to turn the tables "wow, you're really good at using a knife and fork" they don't seem to get it.....

Of course they don't get it as you are doing it wrong! Next time try "wow, you can really work that spoon!" :ROFLMAO: